Newer Version Of Mame Than 0.37B5?

Snowblindfrog

Still Fresh
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to port a more recent version of MAME than 0.37b5? I'm certainly not talking about the most current MAME releases...but 0.37b5 is from back in 2000! Isn't there anyway to implement a slightly newer pack than that one? There's a lot of really good Data East games form the mid-90's that are supported in later MAME releases and it sure would be awesome to get them on the Caanoo.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, just curious is all :D

I'm not sure but I think it's something related to the engine used after the MAME version 0.37b that left him confined to more powerful computers. Qualified personnel of the forum can explain better than me... :)

Luo=-_

That's the explanation I've always heard as well.

I think v0.37 tends to be the sweet spot for handhelds.... subsequent versions are a lot more resource hungry (cpu and ram).

The main goal of MAME is to provide accurate emulation. Older versions include speed hacks, which is more suitable for slower CPUs.

Here some readings about MAME philosophy and performance...

http://www.amarjit.info/2008/05/emulator-giants-mame.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME#Philosophy_and_accuracy

http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:performance

Yoshi Dragon said:
The main goal of MAME is to provide accurate emulation. Older versions include speed hacks, which is more suitable for slower CPUs.

Hmmmm...interesting.
So - theoretically - it's possible for someone could compile a recent MAME build including these speed hacks to run in Caanoo or other handheld??

Luo=-_

Last edited by a moderator:
Luo=-_ said:
Yoshi Dragon said:

Hmmmm...interesting.
So - theoretically - it's possible for someone could compile a recent MAME build including these speed hacks to run in Caanoo or other handheld??

Luo=-_
Optimized MAME builds actualy exist - but like so often only for x86er architecture it seems.
http://redump.emubase.de/mame.php

Maybe we can try to compile sdlmame (maybe this can be stupid, I don't know if sdlmame can run on the caanoo, this is only a idea)
Sorry for poor English, I'm italian.

what about the builds used for Xbox ? i think it can be considered, both systems "seems to share the same specs"..except the gpu...but maybe im wrong.

maybe it can be interesting to look at CoinOPS sources...or MameOX.

Ikaruga said:
what about the builds used for Xbox ? i think it can be considered, both systems "seems to share the same specs"..except the gpu...but maybe im wrong.

maybe it can be interesting to look at CoinOPS sources...or MameOX.
The problem is, that´s optimized for X86 and not for ARM-Processors.

I realize that the MAME philosophy is about accurate emulation, but couldn't someone do a test build of like 0.37b10 (0.46)? That version came out a few months later than the version we're currently using.

http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html

^Scroll down about halfway to the "2000 MAME Releases"

hey guys, this is also what I really want...
sadly I am not well versed enough is programming to get it working.
what can we do?

Yimmy

_they live, we sleep_

I could give it a try when I finish the Daphne port... with some help of the gurus of course.

Thing is that if you think about it... you have the PSP version wich runs a lot faster, and with a so much newer romset. A used PSP today is worth something like 120 bucks... I don't know if it makes any sense to try improving this thing.

Best

E.-

idarwin said:
Thing is that if you think about it... you have the PSP version wich runs a lot faster, and with a so much newer romset.

Hm, is the PSP version really so much better? Which MAME version are they up to? Why is it better? Is the CPU significantly faster, or is the graphics faster?

A used PSP today is worth something like 120 bucks... I don't know if it makes any sense to try improving this thing.

Actually a new PSP is $129 on Amazon, so pricewise it is indeed an attractive option.

I still like the fact that you don't depend on hacks to install your own software on the Caanoo (so it will always work), and that you have a nice SDK to develop your own stuff. Also you don't depend on Sony's memory sticks for storage, which are not available in very big sizes.

But being able to play games well is important, of course. ;)

GreenLeaf said:
idarwin said:
Thing is that if you think about it... you have the PSP version wich runs a lot faster, and with a so much newer romset.

Hm, is the PSP version really so much better? Which MAME version are they up to? Why is it better? Is the CPU significantly faster, or is the graphics faster?

A used PSP today is worth something like 120 bucks... I don't know if it makes any sense to try improving this thing.

Actually a new PSP is $129 on Amazon, so pricewise it is indeed an attractive option.

I still like the fact that you don't depend on hacks to install your own software on the Caanoo (so it will always work), and that you have a nice SDK to develop your own stuff. Also you don't depend on Sony's memory sticks for storage, which are not available in very big sizes.

But being able to play games well is important, of course. ;)

Hello!

No, the PSP Cpu is slower actually. The thing is that these guys have better support and bigger community so the emus run faster because the are way optimized. The Caanoo is faster but the community is you, the other guy and me... and that's almost it. We must be la 20 guys tops...

Search in google for "PSP Mame Emu"... they are ahead of us... and they can run other emus that we can't such as Nintendo DS, Nintendo 64 and lots more... so... if you ask me... go buy a PSP but do not throw your Caanoo away cos it has LOTS OF GOOD STUFF (touchscreen for adventure games, and much more)

Best.

E.-

Back