Fastest Version Of Mame

christo930

Which version of gp2x mame is the fastest? Does each release get slower like with pc/mac mame?

Also, for games that run too slow, is it possible to go back to the first mame pc version that supported that game and compile it for the gp2x? Maybe the developer of gpmame will release an older version of mame so the games will be faster and old games can use lower clock speed to save battery time like 030 or somewhere around there. I know back then there were a few milestone mame releases which really slowed things down, like on version redesigned the timing system with a huge speed penalty. I guess it's not anything as trivial as downloading an old linux mame source and recompiling it for the gp2x. I assume code needs changes and that the code that needs changing is not modular (where you can pull it out of the main mame gp2x distribution)? Like pulling out the sound, video and controller drivers (which I assume are seperate files) and droping them in an older mame version? Wishfull thinking on my part (I know nothing of modern coding)?

Chris

If you tell us what you want to play we can tell you the fastest way of playing it, MAME isn't always the fastest emu, there are other stand alone arcade emus for neogeo and cps1/2 which are much faster.

MAME on the GP2X is based on 0.34/0.35 MAME. This does not change. Subsequent releases have improved some core and support functions to make it faster. ie. Improved sound and video handling, improved CPU cores, etc. Therefore, the latest version of MAME on GP2X will always be the fastest.

JohnDrake said:
May I ask which emulator is best for playing Neo Geo games?
Whilst MAMEGP2X is capable of playing Neo Geo games, the best choice is GNGeo2X. It is one of the few emulators that uses the 2nd CPU to assist with sound and as a result plays most games at full speed 60FPS at 200Mhz (or just over) and with high quality sound. Pretty awesome stuff.

The link above takes you to the base, single CPU version which is the most compatible. The faster, dual CPU version (still in beta I believe) can be found in one of the forum's topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back