Newbie Help Needed!

Funghi79

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Bought myself a Caanoo off Ebay and it arrived no problem. Went through the instructions for setting it up when I encountered a bit of a problem - the fungp.co.kr website doesn't appear to have an English version so have no idea how to register myself!

Any help to get up an running with my new machine would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys

crow_riot said:
The english version of FunGP is here http://fungp.com/

Thanks mate... I have formatted an SD card with FAT32, and placed it in the Caanoo. If I put the card into my PC, it now shows folders for games, apps, documents, pictures etc...

The questions I would please like help with now are as follows:-

(1) I have a few different emulators for my PC for Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, SNES, Megadrive, MAME etc. Can I use the ROMs I have for those on the Caanoo?

(2) If so, is it simply a case of installing the Caanoo emulator then placing the roms onto the SD card?

(3) For movies etc, do I place them in the movies folder of the SD card and its as easy as that?

Apologies for seeming very naive, just bought the thing and not the most technically sound person in the world!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
(1) No, you have to use specific emulators written for the Dingoo, you find almost all of them in the file archive on the start page of gp32x.de
(2) Just place the folder with the emulator AND the ini file, that comes with the emulator in the GAME folder of your SD card. For further instructions, were to place the roms or bios files, refer to the readme files of the different emulators
(3) It's as easy as that, but the movie playback capabilities of the Caanoo aren't great, don't expect a lot of formats to work and always recode them to 320*200 pixel, to get a smooth running movie

CKeichel said:
(1) No, you have to use specific emulators written for the Dingoo, you find almost all of them in the file archive on the start page of gp32x.de
(2) Just place the folder with the emulator AND the ini file, that comes with the emulator in the GAME folder of your SD card. For further instructions, were to place the roms or bios files, refer to the readme files of the different emulators
(3) It's as easy as that, but the movie playback capabilities of the Caanoo aren't great, don't expect a lot of formats to work and always recode them to 320*200 pixel, to get a smooth running movie

Thanks mate... I know I have to install the new emulators specifically for the Caanoo, but the games ROMS - For examply the Jet Set Willy game for the Spectrum - are these transferrable from the PC to the Caanoo provided they are in one of TZX / TAP / Z80 format etc?

Thanks again.

Funghi79 said:
CKeichel said:

Thanks mate... I know I have to install the new emulators specifically for the Caanoo, but the games ROMS - For examply the Jet Set Willy game for the Spectrum - are these transferrable from the PC to the Caanoo provided they are in one of TZX / TAP / Z80 format etc?

Thanks again.

My fault, didn't read your question properly. It depends on the emulator, you are using, you have to try, the most common formats are supported, on the Spectrum, you shouldn't have a problem with either of the two available emulators, both support the TZX/TAP/Z80. On Mame, you have to look out for a set sepcifically for Mame 0.37b5. With MegaDrive, SuperNES, NES, VCS, Atari 8 Bit, PC-Engine, 7800 or Vectrex, you shouldn't encounter any problems.

Funghi79 said:
hi-ban said:
yes, they are supposed to be compatible.

Thanks H-Ban ;)

Thanks for the update mate, don't think I have my game ROMs as that set for MAME, so will look around to see if I can find that set.

Thanks again for helping a naive newcomer :)

Back