Newbie Checklist

MadcatMayhem

Still Fresh
Hi folks. I have been very fortunate to come into possession of a F100 MK2 with 2.1.1 hardware and 2.1.2 firmware. I know you folks have probably had these questions before, but I have been coming up short with software. I keep finding years old posts, old software, or software with bad links to new versions. I have a quick list of items I need some help with. Any help is welcome.

-Best text editor on gp2x?
-Best emulators for nintendo, sega, ps1, mame?
-Best engines for doom, duke, quake, any other old fps?
-Any newer versions of Pickle/Hitnrun port of dosbox?
-Newer version of dosbox blast?
-Anyone use Tenergy 2600mah nimhs?
-CPU/LCD Tweaker, what do you suggest min for emu, and for fpses
-Discovered some gp2x ports of Another World and Flashback, bother with them or use dosbox?
-Anyone possess REminiscence 0.4?

trooper said:
Well, For a start, The GP2x File Archive is the best place to find
pretty much everything you are looking for, For the GP2x. Knock yourself out.
smile.gif

Trooper
Totally! There is a huge wealth of games/emulators/applications, etc waiting to be used. I still have a sift through for any older games that I had not yet tried out.
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So far Ive turned out pretty well for a newbie. I managed to find the latest of these:
Dr.PocketSnes 6.4.5
Picodrive 1.56
PrBoom 2.5.0b
Duke2x 0.4

Right now my biggest problems are where to find a working text editor, and if Open2X is worth it the firmware flash. Whats your two cents guys?

MadcatMayhem said:
Right now my biggest problems are where to find a working text editor, and if Open2X is worth it the firmware flash. Whats your two cents guys?
The new prboom is not as effective with doom pwads, but you shouldn't care if you don't use them (I think I saw someone in the dev forums trying to work that out); I also use zdoom to get Strife and some other wads functional; essentially all three are in use on my SD

I use GP2xWrite - new version at zx81 site (while there check out his other cool programs)

I just upgraded to open2x. You'll like it if you are used to gmenu2x. Faster, more stable (i.e. kill programs, that alone is worth the install), and now has a new optional skin ;)

Hah I dont know how I never found Reminiscence 0.4 on the file archive, good call Trooper.

Now you bman. I plan to play as many pwads as I can. I dont mind playing Boom-compatible wads only for now. Ill give this 2xZdoom a shit. Nice that you created a frontend for it.

Regarding Open2X....I am running DR7, and I like it so far. The programs I listed before run just the same, or if not, then better. The MMU and RAM latency fixes work well too. Now I just need to test out Duke and Doom with Timidity, I definitely see a framerate difference.

PS: The only editor that works is GP2X Write, and it works VERY WELL. Now I dont need a pc as much for some configs.

Hey guys, how the heck do you get the GP2X to work as a usb drive in Open2X? Im trying to update to the latest Gmenu2X but cant get to the nand now.

Please there someone who have installed Open2x DR7 ....could tell us if UAE4All work well ? Especially on F200 ?
I asked also on another thread but no resp.
I have F200 with firm 4.1.1 and UAE4All run but don't load the ADF selected...

virusx said:
Oh and btw:

Ps1: PSX4GP2X 0.2.0 Test 1Latest release, I think it came with older release inside the archive.

Mame:MAME4ALLWhat else

Nintendo:
GameBoy: Lemonboy2x Last emu updated
GameBoy Advance: gpSP
SNES: PocketSNES

Sega: PICODRIVE for Genesis / MegaCD
SMS/GG: Alexkidd2x

All the programs I mentioned before with the versions, work great. I also found out that mame4all 2.4 doesnt work on the gp2x, thought it would. Mame4all 2.3 works great, but mostly Metal Slug is what Im using it for, and I cant get the games to run at full speed. Reminiscene 0.4 works great too. Shame about the USB problem with open2x, Im stuck with an old 512mb sd card and a slow sd card reader. *shrugs*

I got MAME4ALL 2.3 release working here, I didn't saw that there was a 2.4. I'll try it, thanks :)
I also have UAE4ALL 0.8.0 Beta working on my F100 MK1 + Open2X DR7. I played some Battle Chess yesterday.
@ Farox: Did you "Run" the emu after loading the .ADF?
@ MadcatMayhem: The Gp2X SD over USB is also a damn slow card reader

MadcatMayhem said:
Mame4all 2.3 works great, but mostly Metal Slug is what Im using it for, and I cant get the games to run at full speed.
Also try out Finalburn: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,2441

And GnGeo2x: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,1098
... with the Rage2x frontend: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,1294

Both great for Metal Slug, and many other awesome games. (Although my version of GnGeo2x won't run under Open2x. I can't remember if that's a known issue).

Oh, and you mentioned an LCD tweaker - have you found the built in LCD timing utility in Open2x yet?

@ Farox: Did you "Run" the emu after loading the .ADF?

yes of course ...this is the step i do...

1) start Uae4All ....after the intro screen i go to menu and now i select an *.ADF file an then press B button.
2) On menu i select Run.
3) the screen goes black showing 3 coloured blocks (1 red and 2 green ) ...the red change the number inside from 00 to 50 and then stop
but the green (who show the drive activities) never change from 00.
If i press 'Select' the emu come back to menu ...so is working everything but not the loading of ADF files.

The strange thing is that with firm 4.0.2 the emu work ...i remember i've played Buggy Boy .

So if anyone could confirm the working of this emu on F200 with firm Open2x DR7 , i will be gratefull ..

Thanks

virusx said:
@ MadcatMayhem: The Gp2X SD over USB is also a damn slow card reader
Oh I know it was SLOOOW, problem is I still needed to access the NAND, wanted to mess around with some files and add some skins.

Gruso said:
MadcatMayhem said:
Mame4all 2.3 works great, but mostly Metal Slug is what Im using it for, and I cant get the games to run at full speed.
Also try out Finalburn: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,2441

And GnGeo2x: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,1098
... with the Rage2x frontend: http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,73,1294

Both great for Metal Slug, and many other awesome games. (Although my version of GnGeo2x won't run under Open2x. I can't remember if that's a known issue).

Oh, and you mentioned an LCD tweaker - have you found the built in LCD timing utility in Open2x yet?
At this time, my immediate concern is running Metal Slug 1,2,X,3,4,5. Which emulator would you suggest handles the games well? Overclocking is fine if the need arises. Regarding the LCD Tweaker? Yeah I definitely explored all of Open2X, so I had a run with the LCD tweaker. Its OK though, leaving the LCD timing at 1(default) or zero, and on UPLL is fine. So far I have no issues with the LCD.

virusx said:
MAME4ALL 2.4 is Wiz only. :p
Well that certainly gives me confirmation it doesnt work haha.

And last but not least......now I know first hand how bad the current drain is on the GP2X. Its RIDICULOUS, I have to carry an extra pair of my 2600mah nimh's! Im tempted to use some solder tabs, and have two pairs of batteries, each pair wired in parallel for 5200mah. It might work since two batteries a pair will drain in parallel, not in series. I was SOOO close to either getting a Wiz or Dingoo, too. I figured going with the first handheld was good because of the software development being the oldest. Oh well, this device runs roms, Doom, and Duke3D well so I have only battery life to complain about. XD

Back