Checklist

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
It's been such a shame that CheckList has gone so unused and under appreciated. I remember back in the days when there was only the GP32 many made use of WarmFluffyUK's compatibility lists. I sure preferred checking whether a game worked rather than going on holiday hundreds of miles away to realise that the games I brought only worked to an extent or didn't even work.

However, since the advent of the GP2x. Noone seems to be willing to do anything any more. I am sure that many people here have played many games on their GP2x in various emulators. So, why, when you have a few minutes spare don't you just visit CheckList and add entries for the games you know work, or don't.

I mean, developers spend a lot of time making emulators, you fill all the emulator threads with complaints about a game not working. Why not enter them on CheckList so that someone else doesn't discover the same? It saves other people time.

Ok, if people are going to use CheckList, then I'll put what I know on there.

sam fisher posted on Aug 27 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
It's been such a shame that CheckList has gone so unused and under appreciated. I remember back in the days when there was only the GP32 many made use of WarmFluffyUK's compatibility lists. I sure preferred checking whether a game worked rather than going on holiday hundreds of miles away to realise that the games I brought only worked to an extent or didn't even work.

It's probably because it has one of the worst user interfaces I've ever seen. I mean, it's really really bad. I think in this instance editing the wiki would be much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The user interface isn't bad! If you actualyl tried using it, you'd see its ok! Because you don't like rounded silver images doesn't mean it has a bad UI. It means you have an opinion on the skin of the site.

Edit: Hmmmmm, you pick a consoles, you pick an emulator, you browse, and or, search for game(s) to either check their status or edit it. HMMM. Yes. Really it must be so terrible. I mean you obviously are missing arms. That's why its so hard for you to use, isn't it?

sam fisher posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
The user interface isn't bad! If you actualyl tried using it, you'd see its ok! Because you don't like rounded silver images doesn't mean it has a bad UI. It means you have an opinion on the skin of the site.

Edit: Hmmmmm, you pick a consoles, you pick an emulator, you browse, and or, search for game(s) to either check their status or edit it. HMMM. Yes. Really it must be so terrible. I mean you obviously are missing arms. That's why its so hard for you to use, isn't it?

I'm not talking abotu the skin for the site. I'm talking about how we're expected to interact with the site. UI has only partially to do with the look. It's primarily to do with interaction.

This is off the top of my head without re-checking the site:

1. You pick a console on the tree menu... go to a back, then hit the back button and the tree is re-collapsed.

2. The listing of games is huuuuuuge, that's like 5 lines taken up per game. This makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for if I'm searching for something.

3. If I'm to vote on whether a large number of games is working for me or not, it needs to be much faster/easier to just click "yes, this works" or "no this doesnt".

4. The most important information "Works/Broken" isn't split up at all, or at least made clear and direct. You really have to look quite a bit to see what's being displayed.

5. The page navigation is done with a select field, completely slowing down the ability to change pages and the ability to do so in a standard way.

But again, that's just my opinion.

i don't usually bother to update the compatibility lists because I never use them at all...

On the gp32 i guess i could understand the need for them with 128mb max storage you can only fit so many roms on one SMC card...but with the gp2x, you have up to 4gb of space on one SD card. Space isn't really an issue anymore, I can put tons of games on it and not even worry about it. If a game doesn't work, i delete it from within the file explorer and choose another game.

o0o0o posted on Aug 28 2006 at 04:48 AM said:
1. You pick a console on the tree menu... go to a back, then hit the back button and the tree is re-collapsed.
When viewing games, use the "Main Menu" button instead of back, the tree is not collapsed then. This is something to do with how PHP uses session variables.
Using the back button on the browser is generally bad practice, it just sends you back to a copy of the HTML you had before, and considering the tree structure is javascript, that will not be changed unless PHP tells it to, and for that you need to let PHP control it and not press back on the browser.
Maybe I should change "Main Menu" to "Back" ??

2. The listing of games is huuuuuuge, that's like 5 lines taken up per game. This makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for if I'm searching for something.
I didn't see a problem on a PC, I thought it was only an issue if using the lists with a portable small screen device..
But however, if enough people want this changed I will do something about it.

3. If I'm to vote on whether a large number of games is working for me or not, it needs to be much faster/easier to just click "yes, this works" or "no this doesn't".
I thought it was easy to set a game, click change status, select a status and click okay! Pretty simple I think.

4. The most important information "Works/Broken" isn't split up at all, or at least made clear and direct. You really have to look quite a bit to see what's being displayed.
Each game status is colour coded, i.e. green works, red doesn't etc. Kind of obviously in your face really.

5. The page navigation is done with a select field, completely slowing down the ability to change pages and the ability to do so in a standard way.
I have no idea what you mean by this, can you elaborate?

I did work with people on the board whilst developing Checklist, and the result is what we have now. If it's not being used because it's not what you all really want, then I wish people would tell me so I can change things.
Checklist is quite a complex database, especially considering it's not only for the GP2X/32, but almost any hardware and system can be added that requires some sort of compatibility list. I tried to make the simplest solution out of a very complex system.

sam fisher posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:14 PM said:

I'm not talking abotu the skin for the site. I'm talking about how we're expected to interact with the site. UI has only partially to do with the look. It's primarily to do with interaction.

This is off the top of my head without re-checking the site:

3. If I'm to vote on whether a large number of games is working for me or not, it needs to be much faster/easier to just click "yes, this works" or "no this doesnt".

But again, that's just my opinion.
You have no arms and are now blind? Well, colour blind at least. They are colour coded.

Blah posted on Aug 28 2006 at 07:47 AM said:
Where'd the login button go? I can't find it.
Adblock, tell it to be off for this site.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 28 2006 at 10:43 AM said:
When viewing games, use the "Main Menu" button instead of back, the tree is not collapsed then. This is something to do with how PHP uses session variables.
Using the back button on the browser is generally bad practice, it just sends you back to a copy of the HTML you had before, and considering the tree structure is javascript, that will not be changed unless PHP tells it to, and for that you need to let PHP control it and not press back on the browser.

Generally bad practice to use the back button? :blink:
It's never bad practice to use the back button. If ajax heavy stuff like gmail can work with the back button there is no excuse for a simple expanding menu to have trouble.

stinch posted on Aug 28 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 28 2006 at 10:43 AM said:

Generally bad practice to use the back button? :blink:
It's never bad practice to use the back button. If ajax heavy stuff like gmail can work with the back button there is no excuse for a simple expanding menu to have trouble.

In any type of form entry the back button is bad practice...

Shikaku posted on Aug 28 2006 at 09:53 PM said:

It's never bad practice to use the back button. The browser knows which requests are safe and which may change the state of the server. The browser will warn you after pressing the back button if it needs to perform a request that may change the state of the server, the "this page contains POST data" message box.

stinch posted on Aug 28 2006 at 05:40 PM said:

It's never bad practice to use the back button. The browser knows which requests are safe and which may change the state of the server. The browser will warn you after pressing the back button if it needs to perform a request that may change the state of the server, the "this page contains POST data" message box.

MOST OF THE TIME that works. Sometimes it doesn't.

stinch posted on Aug 28 2006 at 10:40 PM said:

Yes, in firefox. Maybe in IE. Haven't touched it in years so wouldn't know.

Shikaku posted on Aug 28 2006 at 02:41 PM said:

It always works for POST requests in all browsers, even Lynx. GET requests don't need any warning of that type.

Either way, it is never ever ever ever bad practice to use the back button in a browser. That's the most ridiculous excuse for poor design I've heard all year.

Well some people actually like checklist, just goes to prove you can never please everyone.

You could always write your own compatibility list with all the functionality of checklist just to show me how completely terrible checklist is? I personally wouldn't mind someone else taking on the responsibility and getting all the flak from the odd bad opinions.

o0o0o posted on Aug 28 2006 at 10:15 PM said:

It always works for POST requests in all browsers, even Lynx. GET requests don't need any warning of that type.

Either way, it is never ever ever ever bad practice to use the back button in a browser. That's the most ridiculous excuse for poor design I've heard all year.

Most survey sites BEG you to never hit the back button... Plus I like getting updates on forum pages, and not getting the page that was in memory (Firefox).

o0o0o posted on Aug 29 2006 at 03:15 AM said:

qft

Back