Gngeo2x Rom Compatibility

iignotus

The one and only
Website
gp2xdev.no-ip.org
I just downloaded a new set of neogeo roms (that I own already, of course :D ). I suppose they would be known-working or else the set would not be so popular.

My problem is that most of the roms have terrible graphical glitches that make the game totally unplayable. Games such as Neo Turf Masters, that used to work with the old set, now don't. I know it should simply be a case of "use the old set", but I have a question.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of about rom compatibility? Do I need to use specific romsets? The game starts, so it's not a problem with "romset not found", but most are unplayable (though some, such as Art of Fighting, definitely still work fine). Is this a problem with gngeo2x, or a problem with my roms? If it is compatibility, will newer versions be more compatible with different dumps of roms?

Please tell me I'm doing something stupid and that the fix is very simple, because I have no idea where my old romset has gone at the moment. Also, could anyone enlighten me on what 'a', 'n', 'nd', etc, mean after a romset? For example, what's the difference between mslug3, mslug3n, and mslug3nd?

Thanks.

iignotus posted on Mar 4 2006 at 06:24 AM said:
I just downloaded a new set of neogeo roms (that I own already, of course :D ). I suppose they would be known-working or else the set would not be so popular.

My problem is that most of the roms have terrible graphical glitches that make the game totally unplayable. Games such as Neo Turf Masters, that used to work with the old set, now don't. I know it should simply be a case of "use the old set", but I have a question.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of about rom compatibility? Do I need to use specific romsets? The game starts, so it's not a problem with "romset not found", but most are unplayable (though some, such as Art of Fighting, definitely still work fine). Is this a problem with gngeo2x, or a problem with my roms? If it is compatibility, will newer versions be more compatible with different dumps of roms?

Please tell me I'm doing something stupid and that the fix is very simple, because I have no idea where my old romset has gone at the moment. Also, could anyone enlighten me on what 'a', 'n', 'nd', etc, mean after a romset? For example, what's the difference between mslug3, mslug3n, and mslug3nd?

Thanks.

I think you have a old Mame romset. take a look a this http://www.hardworks.de/neogeo/#q28 it may explain your problem. So I recommend a recent Mame romset (or an old NeoRageX one :D )

For mslug3, AFAIK, n is for the decrypted cpu, and nd is for decrypted CPU and GFX. For Gngeo, you'll need a "mix" between the tow (I think mslug3nd don't have sound roms included)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back