New Video From Mweston

HackModford said:
WOW :blink:
I NEVER thought it could be that good... Sonic Adventure... here I come!...

I do feel sorry for all the second batchers that might well find their CPUs don't overclock past the stock 600mhz mark at all.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a big flamewar speculation-fest discussion a while back about how TI is no longer going to test Cortex A8s for higher clockspeeds or something.

So supposedly the next batch will only be guaranteed to work at 600 MHz, whereas the first batch is also guaranteed to work at 800 MHz.

IIRC.

Edit: According to Gruso's post, they are going to START testing them, but selling the chips that clock higher for more dollars, and the ones that clock lower for less. So depending on how things go and what OP decides to do and how much it takes to run NullDC at full power and add the "Emulates DC" bullet point to the Pandora, ... who knows.

Yigguth said:
Who says they won't? Am I missing something?
Read this: http://pandorapress....leash-a-little/

Just be aware that when I wrote that, we didn't know exactly what it meant. So that post is a little misleading. Follow the source link back to the boards and you'll find a huge thread with a lot of speculation. Try not to take too much of it in. In fact, everything I've just linked is potentially misleading. :p

In summary, here's what seems to have happened: TI are now "sorting" the OMAP3530s according to how high they'll clock. This allows them to sell the "better" ones (720mhz) separately, probably at a slightly higher price. The design itself hasn't changed. We don't know what this means for second batch Pandoras yet. We know that the first batch hasn't been sorted by TI, so overclockability will vary from unit to unit. Some people could get as a high as 900mhz, others might not. Batch two is likely to to have a narrower scope for overclocking (or more consistency, if you want to look at it that way). OP may or may not buy the "better" ones, we'll see when the time comes I guess. Either way, the official specification of Pandora will remain unchanged.

No, they'll all have the same 600mhz CPUs. But some will overclock higher than others. That's just the way it is with overclocking, it applies to anything with a CPU including desktop PCs.

I thought I remembered the Pandora being advertised as able to clock up to 900MHz, and that everything else was an underclock. I guess that was wrong?

MrBlais said:
^^ Wow, that sucks! There's no consistency between Pandoras? So a lot of the first batch Pandoras will have different CPUs?
They will all be guaranteed to 600Mhz, but like with all CPUs, some will have better overclocking than others. First batchers might find theirs consistently clocks higher than future batches.
On the other hand, TI may be making the 720 claim because they've refined the process and more and more are actually capable of hitting that 720Mhz, so future batches may find they have better overclocking than first batch.
Or there may be absolutely no change. There is no point in questioning it because the only people with the answers work for TI and none of them will willingly hand over said answer.

Wow, Grandia2 never got to finish that game. I'd be happy if I could only get that one to play. Blew my mind when I saw this video. Between the deveopers of the Dreamcast Emu and all those working on the N64 emu, all I can say is hats off to you for picking something so difficult to task yourself with. The adulation and donations could never be enough to cover the happiness you spread to others. Now if we could just get our Pandora's we could really start having some fun!

This is pretty incredible. Thank you for your excellent work.

I can't wait to try this in 2 months™.

And I hope you'll be able to get sound and music working in some fashion.

Yigguth said:
I thought I remembered the Pandora being advertised as able to clock up to 900MHz, and that everything else was an underclock. I guess that was wrong?

Mweston dislikes when people say this.

I didn't mean anything by it. I know it's not true, I just swear I heard it somewhere before

greendots said:
Could someone confirm that neon with overclock will lock up the cpu? I have found some info in the beagleboard irc log but I wouldnt know if its out dated. Can we get info on the omap revision that was ordered and a changelog?

no one can confirm that that's why its an overclock: its higher than it should be so there's no guarantee.

[quote name='lulzfish' ]
So supposedly the next batch will only be guaranteed to work at 600 MHz, whereas the first batch is also guaranteed to work at 800 MHz.
[/quote]

its not guaranteed to work at 800Mhz, its LIKELY to work above 600Mhz.

TI says: cpu works fine up to 600Mhz

that's it.

600Mhz guaranteed, not 800Mhz, not 720Mhz, not 601Mhz, not even 600.01Mhz.

six hundreds.
seiscientos.
six cents.
六百.
six-zero-zero.

Stephane Hockenhull said:

that's it.

600Mhz guaranteed, not 800Mhz, not 720Mhz, not 601Mhz, not even 600.01Mhz.

six hundreds.
seiscientos.
six cents.
六百.
six-zero-zero.

dude seriously..... lay off the coffee

greendots said:
Could someone confirm that neon with overclock will lock up the cpu? I have found some info in the beagleboard irc log but I wouldnt know if its out dated. Can we get info on the omap revision that was ordered and a changelog?

no one can confirm that that's why its an overclock: its higher than it should be so there's no guarantee.

Good job totally missing the point. There was a "bug" discussed a while back about how using NEON on the A8 when overclocked caused the CPU to lock up and other issues. It was a known issue caused by overclocking, as opposed to the general "overclocking can cause various issues (maybe)". Greendots was wondering if this was still an issue, or if hardware/software revisions cleared it up. This could be a big show-stopper for getting some of the more intense emus working at playable/full speed (if the error still exists).

Dunny said:
HackModford said:
WOW :blink:
I NEVER thought it could be that good... Sonic Adventure... here I come!...

I do feel sorry for all the second batchers that might well find their CPUs don't overclock past the stock 600mhz mark at all.

D.

Why did you quote me to say that? Do you think I'm a second batch type of guy? I'm a pre-orderer from the beginning!

HackModford said:
Do you think I'm a second batch type of guy?

I'm going to start using this line to pick up girls.

On the datasheet TI say the CPU works at 720MHz (and the DSP at 520MHz). Surely they wouldn't say this if NEON is liable to lock up the system at such speeds?

Back