New Video From Mweston

Yigguth said:
If the Pandora can run DC this well then I'm sure it will be able to play n64 perfectly some day :)

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Nearly cried fake when I saw it running so well, awesome stuff!

Loved KOF the Atari version too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Maybe Typing of the Dead would be a better one for Pandora. ;)

Haha, didn't knowabout this little gem, this game should be compulsory for the Pandora Dev team, to really put the keymat though its paces, although I can see keymats running out of stock pretty fast, as well as stylus' and screens.

Now this is why I'm buying a pandora! not because I want to play dreamcast games although that would be so friggin sweet, but because we have a whole bunch of people in the community that will take on these challenges however slim the possability of complete success and push the hardware to it's absolute limit. I just love you guys and once all the pandoras are out in the wild imagine all the lovely stuff to come. Man i need I need a caffine hit :p

This is seriously impressive. Videos like this make me hope that full speed Dreamcast emulation may be possible for some games, which I had never even considered before.

B-ZaR said:
Surprisingly good framerate. I wonder how good it gets with NEON :p

Its safe to assume 2x faster at least.The current way most fpu opcodes are implemented is from a helper C function, that requires a SLOW move to general registers for parameter passing.And the performance of build-in stuff like fsqrt isn't exactly spectacular :p

joshwaan2k said:
Quick thought; I wonder how much of a performance hit would be on this emulator with sound enabled?

The problem with the sound is that it includes a second cpu (arm7 , we need to run it at 11 mhz or so) and i don't have a dynarec for that.If an arm dynarec is made and the sound mixing work is moved to the dsp i' say ~ 10%.Another option is hle since most games use the same code on the ARM side.

There is some (very basic) idle skipping implemented so some parts run really fast (ex, the bios) while some others hit the lowest speed (ie, shenmue intro drops to 6 rps at some spots).

*edit*
I forgot to add, this is rendering at the full pandora resolution (800x480) using gles

i will contribute once i have my pandora some dreamcast games are playable. there are a few projects i will contribute towards aonce i can actually use them.

Not had chance to check out the new vid yet. Looking forward to it though. Great work.

Is the fp something that Adventus lib (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48445-neon-ized-math-h-like-library/) could be useful for?

this is very exciting, I loved dc back in the day, having it portable would be EPIC! Many thanks to Drk||Raziel and ZeZu. Donate link?

drkIIRaziel said:
B-ZaR said:

Its safe to assume 2x faster at least

*edit*
I forgot to add, this is rendering at the full pandora resolution (800x480)

noyphh.jpg

Since this is being developed for the Pandora now, is there a possibility of a generic x86 Linux release as well? Because that would be an awesome addition to my htpc.

drkIIRaziel said:
B-ZaR said:

Its safe to assume 2x faster at least.The current way most fpu opcodes are implemented is from a helper C function, that requires a SLOW move to general registers for parameter passing.And the performance of build-in stuff like fsqrt isn't exactly spectacular :p

joshwaan2k said:
Quick thought; I wonder how much of a performance hit would be on this emulator with sound enabled?

The problem with the sound is that it includes a second cpu (arm7 , we need to run it at 11 mhz or so) and i don't have a dynarec for that.If an arm dynarec is made and the sound mixing work is moved to the dsp i' say ~ 10%.Another option is hle since most games use the same code on the ARM side.

There is some (very basic) idle skipping implemented so some parts run really fast (ex, the bios) while some others hit the lowest speed (ie, shenmue intro drops to 6 rps at some spots).

*edit*
I forgot to add, this is rendering at the full pandora resolution (800x480) using gles

Really impressive performance so far. Great work. Will be interesting how close you get to 100% DC speed once the FPU opcodes are Neon-ised/optimised.

I would think HLE would be a likely candidate for sound, as I can't see much call for an Arm7 dynarec for Coretex-A8 outside this emu? It might depend on what the Arm7 in the DC was used - if it's just decoding adpcm you could just write something else to get the same results (pure speculation - I have no idea how DC sound works)

GLEs at 800x480 - is this software scaling up to 800x480 at the moment, or does gles give you scaling in hardware (sorry, not following GL libary developments on the pandora)?

drkIIRaziel said:
No donations for now, go spend the money on some beers .. or SD cards ;)

My kind of guy. On my way to the pub right now as it happens...

Damn, seeing my favorite gaming system till today being emulated that well on the handheld I'll recieve in 2 months(tm) is just frickin awesome. For me, crazy taxi 2 would be the absolute top-title and it seems with the predicted neon-boost it should already be playable. Responsiveness is actually more important then speed/framerate, so this emu is definatly on a good way.

WOW!! This is going to be great. Grandia 2 and Power Stone on the go. That would be awesome. Thanks guys for your time and consideration. You are indeed amazing! Awesome video mweston!

Back