New Video From Craig

pandora too fast for psx? sounds good to me, I'd love to have a turbo button to get through intros or outros. I wonder if an auto scaler for the processor could be built into the emulator?

Gruso said:
...and I hope it lives up to the hype. :D

See it does live up to the hype because it stars Leonard Nimoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

Last edited by a moderator:
Running too fast: it just doesn't have a framerate limiter yet. Obviously it will before release ;) For now it's interesting to let it run as fast as it can so we can easily see how something added or changed helps out in speeding things up.

Rendering: yep, and that's still pure software (not for long ;) ). I'm very excited with the possibilities of the GL ES 2 GPU, not only for speed but also for the possibilities of improving the graphics--bilinear filtering and postprocessing filters for instance, like Pete's GL2 plugin for the PC emulators does, not to mention rendering to any resolution (actually to a multiple of the original game resolution, but then that can be scaled down).

Vorporeal said:
Hmm... talk about "hypocritical" and "power trip camouflaged as altruistic community service". It seems you set an example that shines as brightly as my white armor. ;)

It just seems you neglected to pick on my use of the pronoun "you" in the passive form either due to lazyness, temporary contextual blindness or the incoherence of my English, the last of which is an entirely plausible option.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Vorporeal said:
I generally assume neutrality when the connotation is ambiguous - I find it ends up a lot better than either of the poles. At least it's better than unnecessarily beating up on someone for a simple ambiguous comment. Just trying to play a bit of interpretational devil's advocate and attempting to keep things civil.

Either way: OOOH HIGH SPEEDS WITH SOFTWARE EMULATION! *blink blink* :D

Again.....I don't mean to come across as if I don't appreciate the effort going in to this, but where are the examples of this machine emulating Amiga games full speed with sound? From what I've read on these forums it seems one of the biggest reasons people want a Pandora.......I know it's been said that the power is there to run Amiga games (easily).....but power isn't everything and the Amiga is a bitch to emulate perfectly. Please please please.......

The PSX emu looks very ,very nice.
Damn! This is little devil is certainly going to keep me up all night and make me late in the morning

NickLoTurco said:
Again.....I don't mean to come across as if I don't appreciate the effort going in to this, but where are the examples of this machine emulating Amiga games full speed with sound? From what I've read on these forums it seems one of the biggest reasons people want a Pandora.......I know it's been said that the power is there to run Amiga games (easily).....but power isn't everything and the Amiga is a bitch to emulate perfectly. Please please please.......
That would be here
These videos are from a time when the kernel was a little broken, so no sound. Apparently the sound was being emulated, but without the sound drivers, wasn't being output. I'm almost certain that I saw an amiga video with sound, but I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps someone else remembers where it is.

x68000 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Audio is very choppy :( !
The guys have made the effort to post this video and that is the sum of your gratitude?????

It's responses like that and people like you who make the Pandora team reluctant to post more vids; Negative, unstructured, pointless and biased comments.

It gets more than a little tiresome - Maybe you take your role here on gp32x a little more seriously, being a Mod requires a level of responsibility, so if criticism is deserved towards the OP team, show it constructivly.

We want to know that our Pandoras will run what we have been told they are able.

This video was... slightly disappointing, as the Pandora is a beast when it comes to specs. They've also had a long time to work out bugs and problems from hardware as well as software.

Hopefully its a trivial issue and will be fixed soon :)

you say "They've also had a long time to work out bugs and problems from hardware as well as software". yeah, right! with all of those few dozen dev-boards out there, not necessarily running or working on the same things, DUH!, maybe you should wait until us early adopters have been working on it a while, and that will not happen until OP get the first 4k Pandoras out, calm down and wait!, will you?

sheesh! I need to get drunk more often, being polite to people I don`t even know or care about is killing me, sod social mores.

:p

fiori_musicali said:
Vorporeal said:
Hmm... talk about "hypocritical" and "power trip camouflaged as altruistic community service". It seems you set an example that shines as brightly as my white armor. ;)

It just seems you neglected to pick on my use of the pronoun "you" in the passive form either due to lazyness, temporary contextual blindness or the incoherence of my English, the last of which is an entirely plausible option.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Vorporeal said:
I generally assume neutrality when the connotation is ambiguous - I find it ends up a lot better than either of the poles. At least it's better than unnecessarily beating up on someone for a simple ambiguous comment. Just trying to play a bit of interpretational devil's advocate and attempting to keep things civil.

Either way: OOOH HIGH SPEEDS WITH SOFTWARE EMULATION! *blink blink* :D

I think it was 3am at the time. I plead temporary contextual (and temporary mental) blindness. It also might have been a tad ambiguous (with the quote and all).

I'd already seen that video.....hence why I asked for one with sound! Anyway......I'm sure it'll happen once they get shipped and we have a barrage of software. Hoping for a second batch by crimbo.........

Tinnus said:
Rendering: yep, and that's still pure software (not for long ;) ). I'm very excited with the possibilities of the GL ES 2 GPU, not only for speed but also for the possibilities of improving the graphics--bilinear filtering and postprocessing filters for instance, like Pete's GL2 plugin for the PC emulators does, not to mention rendering to any resolution (actually to a multiple of the original game resolution, but then that can be scaled down).
This sounds very promising. :) I've usualy seen "Software only" accelerated programms for the Pandora so far so I really have fear that there is no easy way to use any of the nice OMAP Hardware Features. ^^"
Well, I hope the Hardware can be also used to save battery-time. It's a mobile device at all and I really would trade "graphics--bilinear filtering and postprocessing filters" and high res for a longer battery life. ;) I'm sure that if the Pandora have enough breath to pimp a PSX Emulation that much on Standard clocking, we can expect a "save mode" for longer Battery life. Simple 1:1 PSX Emulation (2x HW scaling to fit the screen of course) and maybe only 200-400 MHz clocking would sound very great in my ears. :)

I must say, this is probably the emu i'm most excited about. I was always a Nintendo man when i was younger, so theres a wealth of PSX classics i haven't tried before.

Rendering: yep, and that's still pure software (not for long ). I'm very excited with the possibilities of the GL ES 2 GPU, not only for speed but also for the possibilities of improving the graphics--bilinear filtering and postprocessing filters for instance, like Pete's GL2 plugin for the PC emulators does, not to mention rendering to any resolution (actually to a multiple of the original game resolution, but then that can be scaled down).
Yea i also find the OGL acceleration very interesting, theres some much scope for improving the looks beyond the original psx. I would love to be able to help out.

Well, I hope the Hardware can be also used to save battery-time. It's a mobile device at all and I really would trade "graphics--bilinear filtering and postprocessing filters" and high res for a longer battery life.
Most of this would be effectively free on the SGX. The real battery muncher is the LCD, so lowering brightness would be your best bet. As long as they properly handle wait times, the CPUs power management will mean there's not much point in down clocking.

Everybody from the first batch be sure to show pictures of you smiling with your Pandora's when Evildragon's birthday comes up in Oct.

Game_over said:
Everybody from the first batch be sure to show pictures of you smiling with your Pandora's when Evildragon's birthday comes up in Oct.
October...
Wow, that poor prototype is gonna have to be shipped at least 3500 times then...

Of course I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks for all the videos guys :)

Simply cannot wait for the Pandora to land. I'm looking forward to seeing what the gods of emulation come up with once it lands :)

Cheers

I can't wait for the thing to arrive, either .. I'm quite literally holding off on learning *anything* about the Amiga until I've got one running, in my hand, in front of me ..

torpor said:
I can't wait for the thing to arrive, either .. I'm quite literally holding off on learning *anything* about the Amiga until I've got one running, in my hand, in front of me ..

Amiga would be fantastic, PSX and MAME are the one's that make me giddy like a school girl hehe. :p

Edit: I think there would be nothing better for me anyways, then portable full speed Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade via MAME :)

Funny thing is.. I think the pandora with the dev's help will make this wish come true :)

Back