New Video From Craig

Aethix said:
Enverex said:
You're making a umpc, so how would you be liable or related in any sense? You"re not the ones making a psx emulator..m
When giant companies have swarms of lawyers to dispense, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Yes I suppose. A big differnce was that Bleem! was being SOLD for money in stores. That was a bit iffy. I don't see any problem as long as the Pandora doesn't come pre-loaded with the emu or Craig himself doesn't put it out. Since neither is going to happen I wouldn't worry too much.

If hardware manufacturers can be held accountable for the software run on them then they had better get started suing every single PC manufacturer, well as all cellphone and PDA makers, they ALL have emus running on them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Audio is very choppy :( !
The guys have made the effort to post this video and that is the sum of your gratitude?????

It's responses like that and people like you who make the Pandora team reluctant to post more vids; Negative, unstructured, pointless and biased comments.

It gets more than a little tiresome - Maybe you take your role here on gp32x a little more seriously, being a Mod requires a level of responsibility, so if criticism is deserved towards the OP team, show it constructivly.
Damn it where is that mod up button...

Sphinxter said:
x68000 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Audio is very choppy :( !
The guys have made the effort to post this video and that is the sum of your gratitude?????

It's responses like that and people like you who make the Pandora team reluctant to post more vids; Negative, unstructured, pointless and biased comments.

It gets more than a little tiresome - Maybe you take your role here on gp32x a little more seriously, being a Mod requires a level of responsibility, so if criticism is deserved towards the OP team, show it constructivly.
Damn it where is that mod up button...

Looks like you guys totally missed her point. She was sad that the audio was choppy, and was implicitly worried that the Pandora might not be able to handle PSX emulation, or maybe she was just hoping that it would get fixed some time in the future. There's no real negativity - it's just a harmless, objective comment.

Vorporeal said:
Looks like you guys totally missed her point. She was sad that the audio was choppy, and was implicitly worried that the Pandora might not be able to handle PSX emulation, or maybe she was just hoping that it would get fixed some time in the future. There's no real negativity - it's just a harmless, objective comment.

People generally love to assume for themselves the "white knight" position and authority of a speaker-for even when uninvited, and when there's no demand for your hypocritical power trip camouflaged as altruistic community service, you conjure it by extrapolation.

sebt3 said:
greendots said:
Its possible that there was no OS as its not required.
The only piece of software that don't requiere an OS is an OS by definition :p
And I don't see any developper willing to write a dedicated OS for an emu, but that's just me :)
Not at all. It's entirely possible to write software which directly accesses the hardware without the need for an underlying OS. That's pretty much how every game system did it until recently. Especially with the likes of microcontrollers or SoCs. Everything is handled with memory writes: easy peasy lemon squeezy*

*note: do not squeeze lemons into your Pandora.

lulzfish said:
Well, it IS choppy.
Wonder what's causing it?

Probably that no attempt was made to configure or clock the pandora higher than 550mhz.

I've seen it running way too fast at 750mhz on some games, plus using HW SDL or openGL will help too.

It will just require some fine tuning. Which you will probably see when we ship out a few more units.

lulzfish said:
Well, it IS choppy.
Wonder what's causing it?
Zod hasn't figured out how to properly use the audio buffer in the Pandora kernel (Zod and I think) plus there appears to be some vsync timing issues since all of the audio seems to rely on timing. The LCD is set to 67Hz because the settings Notaz tried at 60Hz caused some flickering on the display. No one has gone back to try and play with the registers to find the magic setting and so PSX4all ends up a little out no matter what Zod does. That would account for the crackling in the audio. The entire audio tends to be a good second out of time with gameplay and it doesn't matter if the clock is 500MHz or 800MHz. There is something missing in how the audio should be buffered and passed out during emulation. I can't help him solve that one unfortunately. I did ask around but it may take more eyes on the code when more people have their own devices.

Zod works mostly on his iPhone versions and only recently has had a second platform powerful enough (3GS) to keep up with video and sound going full out at the same time. It's still a work in progress. The fact that it runs pretty smoothly for me at 550MHz (just a number I like to use) and the audio doesn't change with the clock increases means that there is something being handled incorrectly in the code. Again, I think it is timing because vsync doesn't change no matter how fast you set the processor clock.

Oh, and this is still completely software emulation except for using the hardware scalar to make it full screen. Exophase has helped with adding NEON instructions which is supposed to help with screen blitting, especially in 320x240 games. Zod can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it provided up to a 6x improvement in blitting, but it's still experimental code and not always stable so I don't have a build that uses it.

fiori_musicali said:
People generally love to assume for themselves the "white knight" position and authority of a speaker-for even when uninvited, and when there's no demand for your hypocritical power trip camouflaged as altruistic community service, you conjure it by extrapolation.

Ooh, someone's wearing their helm of +10 pretentiousness today. :p

As for sound choppiness/latency, I'm sure it'll get sorted out. If the video was anything to go by, it certainly wouldn't be from lack of power. It looked like it was effortlessly chewing through the task of emulation. Very encouraging.

Edit: Oh, and the fact that it was pulling that level of performance in software is even more of an eyebrow raiser.

These videos are awesome! (this one and the mame one) The anticipation for the pandora is killing me! =) So excited.

Loonie said:
Ooh, someone's wearing their helm of +10 pretentiousness today. :p

Hey, just expressing myself in English.

The only enhancement I may be enjoying is the Headband of Insight that comes with the adverse effect of +10 cynicism.

fiori_musicali said:
Vorporeal said:

Hmm... talk about "hypocritical" and "power trip camouflaged as altruistic community service". It seems you set an example that shines as brightly as my white armor. ;)

I generally assume neutrality when the connotation is ambiguous - I find it ends up a lot better than either of the poles. At least it's better than unnecessarily beating up on someone for a simple ambiguous comment. Just trying to play a bit of interpretational devil's advocate and attempting to keep things civil.

Either way: OOOH HIGH SPEEDS WITH SOFTWARE EMULATION! *blink blink* :D

Gruso said:
No, it wasn't. The last two videos (MAME and PSX) were done by MWeston. Craig's video is done I believe, but not uploaded yet.

Oh, ok - I don't mean to sound ungrateful. Hope Craig manages to get the next vid uploaded before I die of anticipation exasperation.

Just to clarify something, the general timing issues will be fixed at some point right? By timing issues I mean the "it runs too fast when overclocked" problem. Seems odd that processor clockspeed makes it run -faster- than it should, reminds me of some old DOS games that did the same if the processor was too fast. Is that a fault of the PSX or the emulator specifically?

Enverex said:
Just to clarify something, the general timing issues will be fixed at some point right? By timing issues I mean the "it runs too fast when overclocked" problem. Seems odd that processor clockspeed makes it run -faster- than it should, reminds me of some old DOS games that did the same if the processor was too fast. Is that a fault of the PSX or the emulator specifically?

The emulator is using a naive timing setup, so when you add more CPU speed, it goes faster without realizing, because it's basically just using a given number of CPU instructions followed by a set time delay.
I expect it will be fixed eventually, just not right now.

Back