new user - web browser input/output errors.

pubzombie

Hi all,

Thanx in advance for your time-

My panny turned up on Friday whilst I was bogged down with admin work so I only had time for a quick first boot and set up. When I pressed on launch web browser from desktop I was given the choice of two browsers. Not having set up WiFi I exited out of the menu.

I have now set up WiFi - it conects to my network and I get an orange led light on the left of the screen. However, when I launch web browser instead of getting the choice I simply get the message "unable to launch default browser" "input/output error"

I have tried with and without SD cards instaled and have not knowingly changed any setting.

The pnd games I have tried work fine and according to boot up screen I am running "Beta 3" "kernal 2.6.27" "super zaxxon 1.5"

I am used to using windows and Amiga workbench so Linux is a bit new to me.

Cheers.

PZ

Upgrading to a newer, beta FW is recommended, you get loads more uptime out of the battery, it boots faster and there's a lot more technical stuff going on behind the scenes. You can even switch between the older and the up-to-date 3.2 kernels. The new FW should have links, a text-only browser, preinstalled, which you should select as your default browser. For some reason two options are given for that particular selection. The one you don't want to select reads something like "Debian sensible browser".

I prefer jumanji (find it on repo.openpandora.org) by far over the other browsers. It's fast as lightning and you don't need the mouse or touchscreen to hit links, just press "F" and the screen will be populated with numbers and letters which you can in turn hit on the keyboard to follow a certain link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thank you-

So this is a firm ware issue. I was hoping to use Amiga emu a fair bit so if I upgrade firmware I will need to boot into the old kernal using the right button on boot to get the emu to work??

Can anybody recomend which firmware I should upgrade too please?

Thanx

Pz

The emu was recently updated to work with the new kernel Latest version from repo should do it. Also you should get pndmanager from repo to install software conveniently :)

You should use SuperZaxxon beta4.

thank you ;-)

Edit - I am right in thinking I will need the codec pack with a FW update also?

Yes, it is always good to install the codec pack. You should also get the midi installer and maybe the java pnd.

No, as the java pnd just puts a symlink on the nand and the midi installer can install the instruments to an sdcard of your choice. The codec pack of course is installed to the nand but that is not too bad.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using some more nandspace, if it is not rewritten all the time.

Hi,

and thanks for the information supplied in this post. I'm also a new user and unfamiliar with Linux. I've also spend literally dozens of hours trying to figure out how to get the browser going, and here I find out that it isn't there to be "got going". Please do expand the User Manual to make getting started a bit easier and to help get that initial batch of programs into an SD card. I will try to put the information on this post to good use, but for the moment I'm out of time.

Back