[SOLVED] Web browser- missing?

hairface

Still Fresh
Just received my unit today. Strangely enough it appears that the web browser is missing from the fluke system. The online manual thing says that the default browser is something called Midori. I have not been able to find it. Has anyone had the same problem?

If not I can probably just find it with my laptop and download it onto a thumb drive or something

Midori is not on there anymore, but links2 is as the very basic standard browser.

Best is to get PND Manager from the pndstore and install firefox or midori or other browsers from there.

That default link should really be removed, or a trimmed down Midori put back. Seriously, it only saved a couple of MB, I don't know why it was removed. It wasn't perfect, but at least it was something.

Update never mInd new problem, it appears that the package manager requires root privlages in order to install packages. No password prompt or anything just a flat out "Permision Denied" error.

Is there any way to log in as root maby?

What filesystem do you have on your sdcard?

If it is fat this shouldn't happen... Otherwise, what are the permissions on the cards root?

You can also download and install pndmanager from repo on your desktoppc and install it manually.

That default link should really be removed, or a trimmed down Midori put back. Seriously, it only saved a couple of MB, I don't know why it was removed. It wasn't perfect, but at least it was something.

As it looks now, it'll come back with .next. That's why I stopped maintaining the Midori PND anyways.

I recently had the same sd card shoved all up in a Nokia n810 Internet tablet (btw most unstable piece of hardware I've ever owned) after bricking it and reflashing it several hundred times(I'm not exadgerating) I got annoyed and bought a pandora. Could the last device have reformatted the file system to some weird Debian/maemo thing?

Well, if you have GNU/Linux on your PC, you can find the filesystem type pretty easily with GParted, or if you have Windows, you'll know if it was formatted as ext or something because Windows won't be able to read it. In any case, it can't hurt to reformat it as FAT32 after backing up any important data, which can be done on both GNU/Linux and Windows (and I suspect just as easily on Mac OS X and BSD), just right click on an icon for the drive and there will usually be a "format" option. If you don't have an SD card reader or port on your PC, you can use your Pandora for that by choosing "SD-Mass Storage" from the System menu and connecting the Pandora to the PC with a USB cable (standard-A to mini-B ).

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I got rid of everything and reformatted the sdcard. Now as it turns out the pnd-store wants to install to either to usr/pandora/apps or usr/pandora/mmenu but will not install to the cards. The apps and mmenu folders I'm guessing are owned by root.

Is this normal?

Ok... Can you read the card? Is the icon on the desktop? Try to get the pndmanager app installed on the card manually.

Created the right folderstructure on the card?

/usr? That's not right. That's the NAND. You should be installing to /media/{name_of_card}/pandora/{dir}, where {dir} is apps, desktop, menu, or mmenu. PNDStore doesn't create these directories, so you need to create them.

This is exactly what happened to me. It didn't exactly make a good first impression. If I remember right, I had to reflash the OS before it would install to the SD card instead of the NAND.

PS: Do NOT install Chromium, it will lock the device solid.

You need to create the following directories on your SD card first

pandora/apps

pandora/desktop

pandora/menu

PndStore looks for these directories and will try installing to them. If it can't find them, it incorrectly offers you the NAND instead of creating the directories for you.

The reason you got permission errors the first time is because you were trying to install to the NAND, which is locked. This is undesired behavior and should be changed, but in the meantime manually creating the directories will get you on our way.

So why doesn't PNDStore create those directories if they're not found? Seems a more sensible alternative than defaulting to a location which shouldn't be used.

Pndstore is not maintained anymore, as pndmanager will be the default packagemanager in .next.

Back