New User, Problems With Smc

Wolfechu

Still Fresh
Bought my BLU off ebay yesterday, everything working just fine, mistakenly allowed my 15 year old brother to fool around with it. Now suddenly the machine won't read the SMC, acting as though it's not there. Have looked at the card via the smartreader, and the files do all appear to be there, but won't copy to the PC.

Is the data on the disk corrupted? If so, what do I need to reinstall to the card to get things working again once it's reformatted?

shinneri posted on Aug 5 2006 at 08:07 PM said:
Connect your GP32 to your PC and you can use GPmanager to format it. Really, you can just format the card in a reader and manually create the files. To manually create the folders or for more on GPmanager, check out this guide.

I would, but it didn't come with the USB cable. I'll check out the guide, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this:

Without connecting to your PC, switch on your GP32, choose the PC-Link option, now press "select", this should recover your SMC, it did to mine.

ps: Am not sure if all firmwares have this feature, mine does, hope yours too.

sehs33 posted on Aug 5 2006 at 03:23 PM said:
Try this:

Without connecting to your PC, switch on your GP32, choose the PC-Link option, now press "select", this should recover your SMC, it did to mine.

Yeah, that might work.

shinneri posted on Aug 5 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
sehs33 posted on Aug 5 2006 at 03:23 PM said:
Try this:

Yeah, that might work.

Didn't, I'm afraid.

Currently trying to recreate the file structure, having remformatted the disk. Which files are essential?

{edit} Having looked at the guide above, I notice the following sentence: "WARNING: It is my understanding that if an SMC is formatted under Windows XP (and maybe 2000), it will not work in your GP32." - Is this right? Grr. Tried creating a GPMM folder and putting some stuff in there to see if it works, are the other folders essential, and do I need any files in particular in them?

The folders go as follows:

GAME
GPMM
GPETC
GPSYS

Download programs and games from GP32 File Archive
Commercial games, as well as DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D go into GAME.
Other programs go into GPMM. The readme should tell you what to do.
If you want to use Fenix games, put the Fenix Runtime in the GPSYS folder.

Blah posted on Aug 5 2006 at 10:23 PM said:
The folders go as follows:

GAME
GPMM
GPETC
GPSYS

Download programs and games from GP32 File Archive
Commercial games, as well as DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D go into GAME.
Other programs go into GPMM. The readme should tell you what to do.
If you want to use Fenix games, put the Fenix Runtime in the GPSYS folder.

OK. Set up those four folders on the reformatted card. Into GPMM I put DrMD, GPMAME, etc, so there's plenty of .fxe files in there. Reinsert the card, still not being recognised as a valid game card. Am I missing a step? Is there anywhere I can get one of those cables from, if need be?

{edit again} After looking through the file archive, I've found a prog to format the card correctly, and now everything is working again. Thanks for all the help, guys :)

I formatted an SMC in Win XP and amd GP32 would no longer read it. I then re-formatted in in Windows 98 and my GP32 was able to read it again.

Good Luck.

Back