New Toshiba Libretto

sverm

Well isn't this an interesting piece of handheld hardware...

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/libretto/W100

Instead of a keyboard is a 2nd screen (much like a Nintendo DS). It runs Windows 7 and therefore a bunch of emulators, commercial titles and homebrew.

Pricepoint? At $1100, I think the Pandora has nothing to fear. Yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine using a touch screen as a keyboard, must be horrible. I found it a bad enough experience on a phone. That said, it does look pretty cool and I'd have one over an ipad anyday.

Well isn't this an interesting piece of handheld hardware...

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/libretto/W100

Instead of a keyboard is a 2nd screen (much like a Nintendo DS). It runs Windows 7 and therefore a bunch of emulators, commercial titles and homebrew.

Pricepoint? At $1100, I think the Pandora has nothing to fear. Yet.
Wow, that's one bloody expensive device. With two screens and an x86 processor, battery life can't be much either.

Yeah, it is kinda pricey. And it's a limited edition, which means they're probably not going to be taking over the world with them... nor setting any new trends...

i'm looking forward to the adam from notion ink

That looks like an interesting bit of kit, funny thing is that it should be ready to order in 2 months.

Also, from their blog :

I have always loved interacting with you, because I believe it is the first time in history when a product is made by not a firm but by masses. We want to convert this into a revolution, where we will interact in a much better way to get the product out which we really want.

Hmmmm, sounds familiar. Not sure they were first though. ;)

I'm still hoping for the AI touchbook.

Don't want to get anymore x86 netbooks, the battery time is just poor and I don't like fans...

ED, forget it - the AI Touchbook is a load of garbage. Hardware failures, bugs in the power/charging design, a near almost complete lack of support from the company, no news on whats going on to fix the bugs, etc.

And now they're announcing a *new* Touchbook revision, while we old early-adopters of the TB get to put up with the crappy bugs of the first revision. Beware AI, beware Touchbook! The hardware sucks!

And yet you have a lot of fans ;)

Might be... but they don't blow air into my hands :D

ED, forget it - the AI Touchbook is a load of garbage. Hardware failures, bugs in the power/charging design, a near almost complete lack of support from the company, no news on whats going on to fix the bugs, etc.

I know. Long ago, Michael sent them suggestions how to fix the power / charging circuit... and AFAIK DJWillis and notaz also helped them a bit with software stuff.

The idea is great... I just don't want to buy a single pad, as I won't use it much. And I want an ARM netbook since I don't care about Windows and I like how long a battery in an ARM lasts...

And having a pad handy when I want it is a nice thing, too.

I'm still hoping for the AI touchbook.

Don't want to get anymore x86 netbooks, the battery time is just poor and I don't like fans...
Same here although I might be tempted to buy something like the Toshiba Libretto if.. they use arm hardware for decent battery life and if they swap one of the screens for an eink display. A grey-scale eink display would be useful for reading the screen in bright sunlight as well as for reading ebooks comfortably.

They would also have to drop the price a hell of a lot too :)

And I want an ARM netbook since I don't care about Windows and I like how long a battery in an ARM lasts...
There is the Toshiba AC100 - although that is Tegra rather than OMAP, so has less in common with the Pandora. Toshiba are taking orders in the UK (but no sign of any delivery info yet)

Got my AC100 - 1998 bogomips of dual A9 goodness, but android doesn't seem quite right, and the software doesn't make the Pandora OS seem bad at all. Not having access to the google appstore is a real pain, have to use my phone to download apps, then transfer them.

Got my AC100 - 1998 bogomips of dual A9 goodness, but android doesn't seem quite right, and the software doesn't make the Pandora OS seem bad at all. Not having access to the google appstore is a real pain, have to use my phone to download apps, then transfer them.

That sounds even more awful than I expected. And now we're looking at a netbook where you can't even change the OS, at least not yet. It's great Tegra 2 is actually in a device we can all buy for a reasonable price, but I have much higher hopes for the Nufront stuff that's going to be displayed.

That sounds even more awful than I expected. And now we're looking at a netbook where you can't even change the OS, at least not yet. It's great Tegra 2 is actually in a device we can all buy for a reasonable price, but I have much higher hopes for the Nufront stuff that's going to be displayed.
I did check that tegra2 stuff is progressing towards the kernel, so hoping it shouldn't take too long. (and android3 will maybe help) The hardware is pretty good, but it confirms the pandora form factor is relevant for me. (netbook is good too, just different. I like being able to hold it with finger and thumb). At least it is real, and shipping.

Is it the PortFolio 100? you can change the OS with another more complete Android which removes most of all bugs. Apparently Toshiba software engineers have pretty poor skills regarding OS.

Back