New To Gp2x

Brock

Still Fresh
I am trying to decide if I'm gonna get a GP2X (probably a Wiz cause it's smaller and faster). The reason I want it is cause it will allow me to enjoy my fave old DOS games. Some of my fave classic shooters like Quake, Duke3D, etc. I am also hoping to let it double as my MP3 player... Anyways...

The issue is, I know absolutely nothing of Linux, I know nothing of how the thing works, etc...

So I am wondering:

1. How easy is it, and is it recommended, for someone with zero Linux experience?
2. Can I put pretty much any game that would run on Linux, onto my GP2X, seeing as it's Linux based?
3. Is it a simple matter of drag and drop file placement? Or something similar?
4. I am running Windows XP, can the GP2X even play friendly with my OS?

Thanks peoples!

1. I know nothing of Linux, but you don't need to. I've even written a game on GP2X (B'lox!) without needing to know anything about Linux. Don't worry :)

2. No. Games may need porting or a bit/lot of work before being suitable for GP2X and only if the original source code is available. Be aware not every Linux games will even be able to run on GP2X - there's a graphics resolution difference for starters, without delving into speed and RAM issues.

3. Drag and drop for GP2X software (onto the GP2X) - yes. Something not GP2X, then no. GP2X software onto Wiz may/will probably need some fiddling.

4. Yes. You can easily move stuff between GP2X and XP using an SD card an/or a USB cable.

I totally agree with iprice. No need to be a Linux buff to use a GP2X. I too know nothing about Linux and can get all applications and games to work on this console. Some applications and games configuration files may need to be modified slightly to point to a certain directories depending if they work out of the box or not (i.e. timidity [External sound files source], DOSbox, etc).

Hope I haven't made this sound confusing? :unsure:

You won't even notice it's running Linux. Unless you connect a serial debug console, everything's hidden by a pretty user-friendly menu.

Games written for Linux computers (and possibly other computers too) have to be recompiled because of the different hardware. And maybe graphics neeed to be redisigned because of the screen resolution, although the GP2X has a hardware scaler that could scale down oversized images. Besides, you might wish to optimize a program because the GP2X isn't as powerful as the average computer.

Well that's a drag... I kinda wanted to be rocking the Half Life and Command and Conquer too... Well at least i got my Quake and Duke3D.

That 533MHz CPU has enough kick to run those, but I bet noone has converted them yet. :(

Brock said:
That 533MHz CPU has enough kick to run those, but I bet noone has converted them yet. :(
Its not possible to convert Half Life or Command and Conquer, as both games are closed source.

Last edited by a moderator:
fade said:
Brock said:
Its not possible to convert Half Life or Command and Conquer, as both games are closed source.

Couldn't you run Command and Conquer on Dosbox?

WarmFluffyUK said:
fade said:

Or on Playstaion emulator
PSX version should be more user-friendlier that dosboxed one.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Dosbox on the GP2x has been neat, but not that great. Anything with VGA graphics is either slow, *really* slow, or the user interface exceptionally cumbersome without a keyboard.

I'm hopeful about Dosbox on the Pandora, but we'll see how that turns out.

Even on the Wiz with it's faster processor, I'm not sure Dosbox would be an enjoyable experience for any game that you have to use more than 5 keys on the keyboard for.

Is the PSX emulator for the Pandora being ported to the Wiz? I'd not heard of this (It would be a good platform for it)

There pretty "from dos" games on gp2x (hope that they make it to the wiz)

Ultima VII (with exult, and maybe Pentagram(U8( will be finished one day too)
Wolf3D
Doom
Quake
Duke3D
ScummVM

Also some of old PC games were on consoles:
Might&Magic3,SimEarth, Eye Of Beholder (SNES)

e.t.c

So it has to be open source huh?

Ok well, where would I get Duke3D and Quake for my GP2X?

I was hoping that I could get Mortal Kombat Trilogy on there... Or at least some kind of MK game.

Brock said:
So it has to be open source huh?

Ok well, where would I get Duke3D and Quake for my GP2X?

I was hoping that I could get Mortal Kombat Trilogy on there... Or at least some kind of MK game.
Duke3D

Quake

But, You do need the original game files for both games above, Either the full game or shareware version.

As for mortal kombat, You could try the MegaDrive or the Snes version, Though the Snes version may be a bit on the slow side, But the MegaDrive version will be full speed.

Trooper

Well, the main reason I wanted to grab a GP32X as apposed to grabbing a DS or whatever the next generation will be, is because I was under the impression that I could run a good chunk of my PC games on it. I can clearly see now that this is not necessarily true.

I will probably buy it if I can get some of my DOS games working on there, but the fact that DOSbox requires typing, it isn't very friendly to the GP32X I'm guessing.

Just riddle me this, is there a DOS emulator type program that can work effectively on the GP32X?

Also, of the following games or programs, is it possible to get them running on GP32X: (I have been running around to see whats open source and whats not, but I thought I would check with the experts first)

1. ZSNES
2. Roller Coaster Tycoon (1 or 2) I'm guessing not cause it doesn't look open yet.
3. Some kind of PSX emulator (I'd like to run some of my old PSX racing games)
4. Worms Armageddon

Thanks guys

Back