New Slot Open :(

Well starting assembly is the main thing at this point, and even if the team starts with 250 units, more will be done hopefully over a decent period of time. If the board factory is shipping runs of 500(a week), I would like to think the mould factory could do the same. Although shipping the cases in smaller runs could be more costly, and might not be a financial option for the team.

Once units start to ship, I don't think many more will cancel there orders, even if a month or two is the wait. It will be "real" at that point for many. I'm sure we are still several weeks away from more solid info in regards to the case quality, and such, so I'm really hoping for assembly to begin on or around the first. I have personally set my own cancellation date at the end of july, but as many have said, they would have never thought april 2010 we would still be having this same conversation, and here we are. So I'm sure my cut off is right around the corner, and as much as I would hate to leave this project, the choice as to be made, IMO!

So all we need is a few pieces to come together, but we all know that is easier said than done. I really hope I have gotten my order by july, but who knows at this point. So to those that have cancelled, I'm sorry to see you guys/gals go, but I comepletly understand those choices, and I may join many of you in the next 4-5 months, but I really hope I don't! ;)

Chris

worzyl said:
Tensuke said:
I'm sorry you have to cancel, but you only waited about a month? Pssh... :rolleyes:

So what if he only waited a month? If he needs that money for other means, then he needs his money.

I've been in the same boat before so I understand. He's not canceling because he's like the other people who have canceled their order because they're mad that they haven't gotten their Pandora yet.

Wil01, I hope you can place another order when you get out of your financial situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
worzyl said:
Tensuke said:
I'm sorry you have to cancel, but you only waited about a month? Pssh... :rolleyes:

So what if he only waited a month? If he needs that money for other means, then he needs his money.
I figured the :rolleyes: denoted I was just joking about that part, I didn't mean any unkind feelings!

Tensuke said:
worzyl said:
Tensuke said:

I figured the :rolleyes: denoted I was just joking about that part, I didn't mean any unkind feelings!

Sorry, my bad:(

I don't want to offend someone, but I do wonder when people are really canceling because the 400 $ is needed to "survive"
(and I'm not referring only to the starter of this tread - I have seen this in other as the reason given) then why making the order in the first place?
Stuff like this should be real "spending" money. like a good night out in town ... money gone.

I never buy stuff on credit, if you can't afford it, wait and save or work more hours... *

* yeah I do use visa, but that's just because it's handy on the web.

Since they are inviting anyone to help assemble they should say if you come and help with 99 you get to take the 100th you help with home regardless of where you are in the queue. I wonder how many people would help if they said that. I haven't even checked how much it is from north/south America to England but I'm sure some people in Europe would take them up on the offer. It would also be cool to meet the team before they're billionaires hiding from the paparazzi in their mansions.

Well, Craig's said stuff to this effect a couple of times;

craigix said:
Come to my house, help out, take away your Pandora at the end of the day.

second exodous said:
Since they are inviting anyone to help assemble they should say if you come and help with 99 you get to take the 100th you help with home regardless of where you are in the queue. I wonder how many people would help if they said that. I haven't even checked how much it is from north/south America to England but I'm sure some people in Europe would take them up on the offer. It would also be cool to meet the team before they're billionaires hiding from the paparazzi in their mansions.
Well, that is pretty much what Craig said, but he also said they only want help if you know your ass from your elbow in regards to electronics, and some form of assembly know how. I would for sure help out, as I have experiance, but I don't live anywhere near the assembly location.

Chris

Polossatik said:
I don't want to offend someone, but I do wonder when people are really canceling because the 400 $ is needed to "survive"
(and I'm not referring only to the starter of this tread - I have seen this in other as the reason given) then why making the order in the first place?
Stuff like this should be real "spending" money. like a good night out in town ... money gone.

I never buy stuff on credit, if you can't afford it, wait and save or work more hours... *

Yeah ok this has got to stop. These are the reasons why im canceling.

My confidence in the project has dropped recently because of recent problems that ive had with the way it was managed. I as a consumer don't feel its right to be given a product that was not what was advertised to me. A month was all I needed to see that I wont get my pandora till May/June at least because im a late pre order number. All of this bothers me, but again i can be patient.

A larger concern for me was that i was recently diagnosed with diabetes type 1. I am 21 years old and uninsured with this illness now whose monthly medical costs are roughly 550 a month without doctor fees. Now i can either continue to wait on the pandora and hope it comes sometime before the summer or i can pay my bills or taxes or anything else in life that demands money at the moment. Im not going to say that i cant survive without this 400 dollars but i am going to say it can go towards things much more..real at the moment.

I really would love to hold an pandora of my own in my hands but at the moment its best that I use that money for something more pressing in life. I want to see this project succeed but i cant justify letting 400 dollars sit anymore.

Oh and this money was basically taken outta my bank account when i paid OP for my pandora, i don't believe in paying for things in credit either...so yeah thanks for that.

Just FYI when you start a train of thought with the phrase "I dont want to ____" your are going to offend, be racist to whoever your really targeting so either say what you think regardless of who it offends or dont say anything at all.

Will01 said:
Just FYI when you start a train of thought with the phrase "I dont want to ____" your are going to offend, be racist to whoever your really targeting so either say what you think regardless of who it offends or dont say anything at all.
Sometimes people start saying that because they know that what they are saying could be construed as offensive but it is a genuine question that wants a respectable answer so they ask it anyway
In this case, you aren't the first person to announce that they were canceling because they couldn't afford it, not by a long shot. He asked a question that has probably been building on his mind for several months now. "If you couldn't afford it, why did you buy it?"

Imagine you're sitting there, and there's a button with a big label that says "don't push this button, it will zap you", and time and again people walk up and are zapped by the button. Finally you get curious and ask someone why they push a button obviously labeled as dangerous. The person then gets offended because, in their language, "zap" means "give lots of money to". It was an innocent question from a curious person, and the "victim" in this case was not questioned out of malice, but same as you was simply the last in a long line of button pushers.
You had an unfortunate change of circumstances, that's why you had to cancel, but there have been others that say they canceled because they came to the conclusion that they needed the money and really shouldn't have spent it. For these people, the question is valid: why spend money you can't afford to lose?

Some people are curious about others. I'm in the same boat. When I see someone else make a decision that I don't understand, I often ask why they made that choice. Maybe they know something I don't. Maybe they misunderstood something that can be improved upon next time. Maybe they have a problem I can help with. You never know any of these things unless you ask.

RajTakhar said:
I ordered when pre-ordering began in sept/oct 2008 started mate, i was 2,200 then and still am now. I think the ordering queue does need a tweak - but no real biggie as it only a short wait now
I doubt it. I was at the end of the line at the beginning of last year and around 1600 by the end of the year. So assuming the queue is roughly chronological...

Polossatik said:
You make a valid point for those who ordered a month ago, but consider my situation: I ordered when I was in college. I had plenty of money at the time, and I assumed that I would get a steady job afterwards. No such luck. I would've had to cancel, if I didn't have my folks to leech off of.

Will01 said:
So I'm like okay, makes sense. Wait, racist? Wat?

I can see it a little from both points of view - the irritation at seeming to have to justify oneself and the curiosity as to why someone else is making a different choice.

In the end, the latter boils down to anyone cancelling feeling that they can use their money to their benefit better than giving OpenPandora a free loan of it. Those of us who have, to date, not chosen to cancel presumably feel that giving a free loan to OpenPandora is of greater value to us - for whatever reason - than the interest on that sum is worth. IMHO, the reest is mere detail.

kingoddball said:
:( All the people canceling were behind me! That sucks. I'm not moving up on the list! I'm still in the high 3000's. (ordered last year - NOV)
Me too, November last year. Doesn't seem long compared to some people, but for me, it's been ages.

I wish they'd of sorted out making them in the uk earlier coz we could of had ALL the 4000 boards delivered and ready to go, while there will be a 1000 done soon the others are gonna take a while waiting for cases and making/testing/shipping of the boards for the other 3000. I just hope it's not to long. Seeing the latest pics of the cases etc has cheered me up a bit. I don't mind waiting but I just hope it's not gonna be ages.

Polossatik said:

Yeah, I've had the same thought, seeing all these people recently cancel (and starting threads about it). I have to wonder, if these people already had their Pandoras, would they be running out to sell them when they were short on cash one month? I know I wouldn't.. I'd be selling any other console I own (or various other things) before Pandora. In my mind, that money is already gone and spent on a Pandora, and I'm just waiting for it to ship -- I don't think of it as sort of sitting in limbo right now.

wermy said:
In my mind, that money is already gone and spent on a Pandora, and I'm just waiting for it to ship -- I don't think of it as sort of sitting in limbo right now.

I paid for it so long ago that it now kind of feels like I'm getting my Pandora for free :)

I ordered ~May 09 so I think I am in high 3k :( That is why I am so interested in how many pandoras will be produced per day.
Course assembly will be a lot smoother around my unit :D

Monk said:
..the irritation at seeming to have to justify oneself..
That being the case it seems a little odd to start a discussion in a forum about it. I've seen a few of these cancellation threads now where I can't help but wonder what the subconcious reasoning behind them was. I'm not saying it's true in this case, but sometimes it feels like there are inciteful undertones.
Personally, I made an impulse purchase. Then all the delays gave me too much time to think about it and I could no longer justify it so I cancelled. No ill feelings and I would still love to have one. I did start getting concerned about the possibility of better devices by the time it was out but that's another matter.

krosfyah said:
Monk said:
..the irritation at seeming to have to justify oneself..
That being the case it seems a little odd to start a discussion in a forum about it. I've seen a few of these cancellation threads now where I can't help but wonder what the subconcious reasoning behind them was.

Well, hence the "curiosity" other side of my post - but consider this. The forum has a whole bunch of "I've ordered a Pandora! Yay!" threads too. When was the last time you saw responses to those threads treating the thread starter as potentially insane? ""Why on EARTH would you order a Pandora now, after seeing what a cockup the team have made of the process so far?" just doesn't happen. It's very one-sided :( Order and you're priased, cancel and you're treated like you might deliberately be spreading disease in a public water fountain.

I suspect PART of the reason people post is that they are unaccountable gregarious, and for some reason expect some community chat rather than a roasting. Sadly, I also have to agree that some must - to some degree, however unconciously - be posting negatively. Well, that happens too. There's all sorts on here...

Back