New Skin For Gmenu2x

ruckage posted on Feb 6 2007 at 07:57 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 06:05 PM said:
Can I convert an already completed image to an alpha image? What PS command is it? I do have photoshop but I am not that good with it. I haven't had much time to mess with all of the commands. I am mostly familiar with old school pixel art programs like d-paint and that would take alot longer to do something like that in.

I like your icons but they are like 1 pixel too high for my setup. I have more icons on screen due to the amount of stuff. The tops of the icons touch the text of the icon above.

There is no command to add alpha to an image automatically - it has to be designed that way in the first place or it can be added using an alpha mask but depending on the image it could be tricky. Could you send me an example of one of the images you want to add an alpha mask to and I can try and guide you in the right direction.

I don't have anything to send I am just thinking for the future if I wanted to start something.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 10:24 PM said:
I don't have anything to send I am just thinking for the future if I wanted to start something.

My unbidden $0.02: Ruckage is 100% on this one. It's a royal pain trying to convert a non-transparent bitmap to an image with alpha transparency. Good thing you aren't having to do that, DaveC.

To create a new image with alpha transparency (in Photoshop), just select the transparent background when you create a new image (Ctrl-N). After that, you can use the "soft-edged" paintbrush to draw something that fades into transparency. Then, save it as a PNG. PNG offers full alpha support. Hope this helps.

Hello,
As promised I've now made a version of this skin for the firmware so everything can match :D. You can find it here.
I've changed virtualy everything, the icons are animated and I paid particular attention to the music player. Sure is hard work making skins for the standard firmware, I was working on it all last night and nearly all day today - must have put between 16 and 20 hours work into it :blink: .

Anyway, enjoy :) - some screenshots are below.

main.jpg
music_player.jpg

select.jpg
movie_player.jpg

SiDCrAzY posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:41 PM said:
I'm guessing this won't work with 2.0 right?
I don't think so as I'm sure it doesn't use gps files, should be OK in 2.1.0 though.

ruckage posted on Feb 7 2007 at 05:49 PM said:
SiDCrAzY posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:41 PM said:
I'm guessing this won't work with 2.0 right?
I don't think so as I'm sure it doesn't use gps files, should be OK in 2.1.0 though.

Darn.

I'm comtemplating upgrading just for this skin :p

Really nice work Ruckage!(especially on the music player)

SiDCrAzY posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:58 PM said:
Darn.

I'm comtemplating upgrading just for this skin :p

Really nice work Ruckage!(especially on the music player)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think the reason I upgraded in the first place was because it was much easier to add new skins (you can have several on the nand at once and just pick the one you feel like from the system menu.) Was scary upgrading for the first time though, if you do decide to, make sure you use an AC adaptor and don't forget to hold down start and select when switching on otherwise the upgrade doesn't work properly.

I have updated my old background for Gmenu2X if anyone wants it. It actually works pretty good with Ruckages icons too.

You have to set the alpha low in the gmenu settings to have it work well for the top and bottom bar.

bg.png

Looks good, nice and bright, would look good with the liquido skin as well. I did consider adding bars to the carbon background but using liquido put me off as I found them confusing when I was trying to create links etc.
A nice addition to gmenu2x would be the abbility to have different backgrounds for different screens and be able to change them from within gmenu2x.

Really nice skins there! Great job!
I have to find some time to finish 0.9, I have added support for multiple skins, so that eache skin has its own folder and you can chage it from the options screen.
I also added the bars on different files so that it would solve the confusion you are referring to...
I'm just too busy lately...

Ryo posted on Feb 8 2007 at 02:14 PM said:
I have to find some time to finish 0.9, I have added support for multiple skins, so that eache skin has its own folder and you can chage it from the options screen.
I also added the bars on different files so that it would solve the confusion you are referring to...
Thanks, they will be great additions. I have one other suggestion, it would be nice if you could use an image for the top bar selection so that it could match the main window selection. Great program though - don't know why I took so long to try it out, certainly won't be going back to the standard gui now.

Ryo posted on Feb 8 2007 at 03:14 PM said:
Sounds great! :) It was not easy to use a different graphic-skin for the gmenu when all Icons are made for one special skin. (I still working on the "liquidoisazion" of my game/application-icons, great, that pedator had put in an icon-psd-template with his skin) -well I hope, that all icons also stored in each skin-folder so Skin AND Icons will match :).
Uh, with the new Version of gmenu2X, will older skins still work? (Liquido for example which was made for version 0.7 -and no updates in sight)

ruckage posted on Feb 8 2007 at 09:32 AM said:
Looks good, nice and bright, would look good with the liquido skin as well. I did consider adding bars to the carbon background but using liquido put me off as I found them confusing when I was trying to create links etc.
A nice addition to gmenu2x would be the abbility to have different backgrounds for different screens and be able to change them from within gmenu2x.

Yeah it doesn't work the best when adding links etc. I figured that wasn't that big of a deal as it is not like I am constantly adding links all of the time. 99% of the time I am just selecting icons so it works ok for that. I can put up with the less than ideal background for the occasional link addition.

Wow. this skin looks superb!

Hey Ryo,

Why don't you try to convince ruckage to draw a couple more skins for the Gmenu2x, and make them official?

I am eagerly waiting for the next Gmenu2x because I know it's full of surprises, and a few (quality) skins can only make it better ;-)

Thanks a lot for your work (both of you), you really make the GP2x scene richer!

ruckage posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
Hello at
As promised I've now made a version of this skin for the firmware so everything can match :D. You can find it here.
I've changed virtualy everything, the icons are animated and I paid particular attention to the music player. Sure is hard work making skins for the standard firmware, I was working on it all last night and nearly all day today - must have put between 16 and 20 hours work into it :blink: .

Anyway, enjoy :) - some screenshots are below.

main.jpg
music_player.jpg

select.jpg
movie_player.jpg
I'll be installing both your Gmenu and Gp2xmenu skins next time I use my gp2x :)

Back