Carbon Skin

purple_goat

Website
purplegoat25.deviantart.com
EDITED TO FIT 1.5:
DOWNLOAD (do it now)
the carbon skin by ruckage will work on 2.1.1 for sure.
carbon.gif

pros:
nice color scheme
animated icons or on-animated
same classic ( :p ) gp2x icons
nice cross-hatching (?)

cons:
pulse skin is stupid and make me sick :wacko:
annoying sd/nand/ext. selector
don't like folders (large, small ones are fine)
problem.jpg

verdict:
main:
I've been looking around for a good skin, I was using the default but this has become my new default,
its even better than the gmenu2x version!
pulse:
It makes me sick and I hate it, even though I think it's an okay idea.
non-animated:
A nice addition to the packadge. Not my favorite, but still a great skin.
reduced animation:
My favorite! Not perfect though. (see cons)

score:
Main:9/10
pulse:6.5/10
no anim:7.5/10
reduced anim:9.5/10

-purple_goat

Thanks for the review purple goat.

Must admit I'm not keen on the square in the corner myself now :blink: . Believe it or not there was a reason behind it, on the main menu screens it's faded as it isn't used but on the movie player and exlporer screens it becomes more opaque and is used as a holder for the icons in the top corner of these 2 screens. My origianl intention was to try to keep things consistant betwenn menus but now it kind of annoys me. I'll perhaps look into changing it in a few day so that the square only appears on the screens it's needed on.

ruckage posted on Feb 7 2007 at 03:31 PM said:
Thanks for the review purple goat.

Must admit I'm not keen on the square in the corner myself now :blink: . Believe it or not there was a reason behind it, on the main menu screens it's faded as it isn't used but on the movie player and exlporer screens it becomes more opaque and is used as a holder for the icons in the top corner of these 2 screens. My origianl intention was to try to keep things consistant betwenn menus but now it kind of annoys me. I'll perhaps look into changing it in a few day so that the square only appears on the screens it's needed on.
B)

great thanks! please get rid of it and maybe some of the jiggling when you high-light something..
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm pretty certain I'll get rid of the square but I won't be changing the animation as I like it :p . As a compromise I might do 2 versions - an animated and an un-animated, hows that sound?

ruckage posted on Feb 7 2007 at 03:39 PM said:
Well I'm pretty certain I'll get rid of the square but I won't be changing the animation as I like it :p . As a compromise I might do 2 versions - an animated and an un-animated, hows that sound?
no!! please i like animated but it think it's a little over-done (howwabout none of the getting smaller after it gets bigger, or at least cut that down)

purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:43 PM said:
no!! please i like animated but it think it's a little over-done (howwabout none of the getting smaller after it gets bigger, or at least cut that down)

I'll think about it.................

ruckage posted on Feb 7 2007 at 03:51 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:43 PM said:

I'll think about it.................
okay

also, what prog did you make this with?

purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 11:54 PM said:
also, what prog did you make this with?

I used Photoshop and the gph skinmaker to put it all together.

Yeah it does look cool but there is no way I would give up the Gmenu2X's far better functionality.

Honestly the GPH menu system is rubbish as far as being useful for loading apps. Browsing a bunch of folders one line at a time with only 4 lines on screen is ridiculous. At least it looks good now though.

I've updated the skin now to v1.5, it's just waiting to be approved so should be available to download soon.

Changes:

Fixed a problem with the lcd adjustment screen.
Removed annoying square in the corner - now only appears on the explorer and movie screen.

Pack now contains 4 versions of the skin:

Original animated icons (get bigger then shrink a little)
Reduced animation icons (they just get bigger)
Pulsating icons
Un-animated icons

I'll post again when the download is active.

DaveC posted on Feb 8 2007 at 01:28 AM said:
Yeah it does look cool but there is no way I would give up the Gmenu2X's far better functionality.

Honestly the GPH menu system is rubbish as far as being useful for loading apps. Browsing a bunch of folders one line at a time with only 4 lines on screen is ridiculous. At least it looks good now though.

If you use the standard-GP2X Components like Music/ Video-Player it can be useful to match the GPH-Menu skin with your GMenu2X-skin. I Think this is the main reason, why ruckage has made also a standard-menu-skin after his gmenu-skin. :)

ruckage posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:07 AM said:
I've updated the skin now to v1.5, it's just waiting to be approved so should be available to download soon.

Changes:

Fixed a problem with the lcd adjustment screen.
Removed annoying square in the corner - now only appears on the explorer and movie screen.

Pack now contains 4 versions of the skin:

Original animated icons (get bigger then shrink a little)
Reduced animation icons (they just get bigger)
Pulsating icons
Un-animated icons

I'll post again when the download is active.
thank you so much! :wub:

i know this sounds like blasphemy to all linx user's , but i would love to see a 2.1.1 or gmenu2x skin that looks like windows xp....stone the infidel....

maybe but windows is so buggy i'd stop trusting my gp2x!
also:
THiS SKiN r0x0rS teH big one11!!
so i think youll be good for awhile..

EDIT:wheres 1.5?
EDIT2:NM, *downloading* :D
EDIT3: reduced anim does not work!!
EDIT4:edited main post

What do you mean 'reduced anim does not work!!' ?

I've just downloaded it to check in case something had gone wrong but it works fine on mine.

And what do you mean by 'annoying sd/nand/ext. selector'

the littte light in the back of sd/nand/ext. after you press Game

and the skin doesn't work, its all gray..

EDIT: sorry, I fucked up, my NAND was full and since I copied the file from the SD, it corrupted.

Back