New Palm Pre Uses Newest Omap Chipset!

They had me at inductive charging, but I came at multitouch.

Looks nice. If I were a big PalmOS fan I'd probably be pretty stoked, I know there are a few around the board. I doubt it will do UMTS on 850MHz though (stupid Rogers!), so I'm going to have to hold out until I can maybe get an Android phone that will.

iCan't wait for that phone! Looks good, has a keypad, multitouch, powerful.

iThink some fruit based phone and mp3 player company will be shaking in their boots!

And so they should be... I love my first gen iPhone (unfashionable though it is to admit it round these parts), but the 3g is not a quantum leap forward that warrants an upgrade - so I think I've just seen my next replacement.

What you can't tell so far is how thick it is with that slide out keyboard, but specs wise looks cool. Also unless I missed it, no sign of the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy fucking shit. This could become good friends with my Pandora. :) Depends on how open the system is and how hardware details work out but at the moment I'm very excited. Just like after the iPhone announcement. Back then my excitement turned into hate when I heard the details. :(

When they say "newest OMAP", what do they mean exactly? It sure sounds like they solved the Java speed problem by using massive amounts of raw processing power...

It's either this, the LG wristwatch phone or the next Openmoko phone. As much as I love my Neo 1973, I do need something a little more robust...

1190351644136.jpg

slaanesh said:
Vilmos, if you are listening, I hope PalmMAME runs on this beastie? :)
That is actually 'teh sex'

It was no secret that this was Palm's last chance to stay relevant. If they didn't come up with some new hardware and software that was out of this world, they were history. Based on the coverage I've read this week, they just might have saved their own asses.

Had I not bought a G1 a couple months ago, I would be seriously considering a Pre. If the G1 didn't exist, there wouldn't even need to be any consideration. The Pre looks great, and all the hands on reviews say the software is excellent. The only two issues that remain are price and battery life. If the battery lasts longer than a day and a half (damn G1) and the price is less than $200, Palm has a guaranteed winner.

The Blackberry Storm situation proves that people are desperate for a slick smartphone from anybody besides Apple. People were lined up around the block to get what was probably the worst phone ever conceived, just because it wasn't an iphone. I expect that the Pre, being a decent piece of hardware, will likely do much better.

If they didn't want an iPhone, why not get the G1 instead of the Storm? The Storm didn't look all that impressive to me.

I'm waiting to get my hands on one! Have to make sure my work stuff runs on this too. MAME will be hard to play with no game controls though, not impossible but depends on how well that keyboard performs. Might be the first smartphone I actually buy and use....

Can anyone interpolate the real price of the phone (without contract) from the recent announcements? Or has it been mentioned anywhere? I need it desperately but I am not prepared to sign any contract so I'd like to know how much money to save...

Back