New Handheld Conclusion(i Worked Hard)

bringoutthegimp posted on May 17 2004 at 05:45 PM said:
PinkSpider posted on May 17 2004 at 05:42 PM said:
When I play GTA I just drive around and kill things. I dont like doing the missions. And HALO I had on pc and I played it abit but it was just boring... im not a fan of one player fps's really, I hate the whole objectives in games :/ Anyway thats just how I feel about games :)
doing missions is the whole point of the game? and if you had played halo on the internet then you would have found that it was almost on par to starcraft as the best multiplayer ever (the comparison is in terms of fun)
Didnt play it online tbh, although I dont see it being better than Starcraft or Total Annihilation which in my opinion is one of the greatest RTS ever; along with Starcraft and Warcraft 3 :)

Im just not a big fan of mission based action games. :)
Yeah Halo on PC was tripe, infinitely better on the 'box. Dunno why but it just is, probably the co-op single player mode
Playing with a friend would have been more fun; but then I have the problems of using the analogue sticks to aim... I just cant do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
davey g posted on May 17 2004 at 05:45 PM said:
Yeah Halo on PC was tripe, infinitely better on the 'box.
FPSs on a console = SHIT. why in the hell would anyone want to play halo using a controller?

The fact that there were missions in gta didn't bother me, it was the fact that they seemed poorly designed and repetitive, wait ... they were poorly designed and repetitive. Vice City was an expansion pack with good music. I found both games to be fun for a short time ( and by a short time I mean a day after I got it ) but I forced myself to complete them.

Edit : FPS on a console =/= shit. Halo proves that by being better on the xbox :D

I am damn good on fps on the pc but I just grew out of sitting in front of a tiny screen hunched over a keyboard when I can relax on a comfy chair with a shmoke and a pancake.

davey g posted on May 17 2004 at 05:50 PM said:
The fact that there were missions in gta didn't bother me, it was the fact that they seemed poorly designed and repetitive, wait ... they were poorly designed and repetitive. Vice City was an expansion pack with good music. I found both games to be fun for a short time ( and by a short time I mean a day after I got it ) but I forced myself to complete them.

Edit : FPS on a console =/= shit. Halo proves that by being better on the xbox :D

I am damn good on fps on the pc but I just grew out of sitting in front of a tiny screen hunched over a keyboard when I can relax on a comfy chair with a shmoke and a pancake.
ATM on GTA Vice city I just drive around listening to my Pixies mp3s

Well said, botg. FPSes have to be controlled by keyboard and mouse (or a variation of - like the Nostromo Speedpad). Any FPS that doesn't support it (on any platform) isn't worth a light. Apparently, Half Life on PS2 did support it, and there was a keyboard and a mouse available for the DC.

Play any FPS on the PC and the keyboarders and joypaders stand out like a sore thumb and die a whole lot quicker (and rightfully so).

davey g posted on May 17 2004 at 05:50 PM said:
well...............ive got a big ass leather pc chair & my monitor is bigger than the tv in my room which is where i would be playing plus the addition of a keyboard and mouse = greater playing experiance

back on topic: you are a fucking moron, people gave some constructive critisism (sp) of the machine and you come back and insult them, im sorry but you annoy me to no end.

I know its more accurate and better to control a fps on a pc, but I think its a better experience on a console. I wouldn't dream of playing CS or something like that on a console but halo is a far slower paced shooter that suits a console better. I never argued that fps are better on a console as they are not, I just prefer playing games on a console. And its not that I haven't tried to play games on the pc, I played games on the pc alone for years. Its just that every single game in my top 10 would be on a console where more boundaries are pushed and where every other game doesn't seem like a clone of an older one.

Edit: Plus I'm sitting in a crappy uncomfortable chair in front of a 17" monitor with too low a refresh rate.

davey g posted on May 17 2004 at 06:06 PM said:
Plus I'm sitting in a crappy uncomfortable chair in front of a 17" monitor with too low a refresh rate.
the tv in my room is like 15" so my 17" monitor is a step up

I hope you guys took part in the disscusion yesterday.

I know alot of ignorant people took part in it yesterday because alot of people totaly trashed the eve system. (http://www.ministrymobile.com/ )

People were actully geting on the eves specs. And comparing the gamboy ds to the eve. Who the flip compares a gameboy ds to a eve system. Game boy ds will succeed because parents buy in to the monopoly just to get there stupid little kids off there back. I know some gba games are good but there not realy compatible with the older crowed. If you from the ages of 15 and 50 and you think kirby is better then halo or gta 3-vicecity then somethings wrong with you.

I must admit that the design is a little bit unrealistic. But i dont think is ugly. And the final design will be more convenent, you will be able to seperate the two. I bet they'll produce a fancy case for it to.

LETS FACE IT gp32 isnt the pretyest handheld out there, but we still like it because of preformence.

I also heard people saying that there not going to be able to play there favorite pc games on it .

I know a whole bunch of games (will be?) playable for example:

starcraft(the greatest game ever)
half life
quake 1 and 2
wc1 and 2
test drive 1 and ma(y?)be 2
and a ton of more games that ive probably never heard of.
Wolfenstien might be compatble to because of the graphics card and ram avalible.

I also heard people saying that the cant play video games without a mouse or keyboard. I think that the joy pad is more convenent then a mouse. And theyll probably make an attachment for a keyboard.

I think that people should stop being ignorant and stop trashing a system of the future. I think this is the start of pocket laptops.

I bet 10 years from now were going to have 2ghz of power right in our pockets. Its closer then we think.

Its ok to defend gp32 but i dont think its ok to trash other systems. Gp32 is a fun system but it cant stand up to the newer systems coming out. I think that the gp32 is going out of buissness soon. Mainly because there not expanding fast enough. And they have to bring the goods to the us. Thats were all the real advertising starts.

I think that if gp32 started making better systems capable of having sd media with no limit storage and faster cpu's with more promissing games' i think that the gp32 will succeed in the race. But if it continues the way its going then you wont be seeing GP32'S anywhere in the next 10 years.

There we go guys, a vaguely more readable version of the random garbage...

21" Sony Trinitron. Mmmmmm... Goes up to about 2048x15??. 1280x1024 at 120Hz in Windows. 85Hz in games (for compatibility sake). Comfy fabric chair salvaged from an office clearout I once supervised.

The PS2 in the front room is broken (it won't play PS2 games, but will play PS1 ones). But we do have another PC in there (hooked up to the telly) which is used for playing Mame games. 2D beat em ups, scrolling shooters, and most classic arcade games are better on this system as it has some Xbox arcade sticks attached to it (I have 3, but the USB ports lack the power for all 3!), but I wouldn't dream of playing Doom on it (it's more than capable of running Doomsday or Half Life).

Now for my 2 cents on why everyone felt the need to flame you:

I hope you guys took part in the disscusion yesterday.

I know alot of ignorant people took part in it yesterday because alot of people totaly trashed the eve system. (http://www.ministrymobile.com/ )

People were actully geting on the eves specs.
My god. So hang on here, if we arent supposed to be evaluating a machines potential what exactly are we looking at here?

And comparing the gamboy ds to the eve. Who the flip compares a gameboy ds to a eve system.
Yeah, who compares systems to each other in order to discover which has the ability to succedd?

Game boy ds will succeed because parents buy in to the monopoly just to get there stupid little kids off there back.
Let me guess, your parents bought you lots of stuff didnt they... Grow up a little and make a valid point.

I know some gba games are good but there not realy compatible with the older crowed. If you from the ages of 15 and 50 and you think kirby is better then halo or gta 3-vicecity then somethings wrong with you.
*YAWN* everyones entitled to an opinion. I don't think anyone has ever really doubted that the gameboy was/is orientated toward the child demographic

I must admit that the design is a little bit unrealistic. But i dont think is ugly. And the final design will be more convenent, you will be able to seperate the two. I bet they'll produce a fancy case for it to.
O, o, o! A fancy case! Again, why bother drawing our attention to a potential design if only to whine about the fact that we think it sucks. The ergonomics of the system are all wrong to be honest. In order to view a screen with that sought of weird angle to it your going to have to hold it whilst twisting your wrists backwards!

LETS FACE IT gp32 isnt the pretyest handheld out there, but we still like it because of preformence.
MATTER OF OPINION! I'm a great fan of desing and ergonomics. I bought a rio karma over the ipod because of the snugness of fit it has in my hand. Personally i think the gp32 is beautiful. The way it manages to fit a HUGE screen and a multitude of buttons into such a smooth and well made casing is brilliant

I also heard people saying that there not going to be able to play there favorite pc games on it .

I know a whole bunch of games (will be?) playable for example:

starcraft(the greatest game ever)
half life
quake 1 and 2
wc1 and 2
test drive 1 and ma(y?)be 2
and a ton of more games that ive probably never heard of.
Wolfenstien might be compatble to because of the graphics card and ram avalible.
And what, pray tell, do the people whose favourite games dont appear on this huge list do?

I also heard people saying that they cant play video games without a mouse or keyboard. I think that the joy pad is more convenent then a mouse. And theyll probably make an attachment for a keyboard.

MATTER OF OPINION! How do you know they will? An attachable keyboard will also destroy any hope of a portable system (imagines boy on the bus trying to balance a keyboard on his lap whilst holding the eve at an acceptable level to actually view it). You also miss out the fact that many like mice

I think that people should stop being ignorant and stop trashing a system of the future. I think this is the start of pocket laptops.
Again, grow up. Have you heard of PDAs?

I bet 10 years from now were going to have 2ghz of power right in our pockets. Its closer then we think.
Cheers for that mystic meg, keep watching the skys!

Its ok to defend gp32 but i dont think its ok to trash other systems. Gp32 is a fun system but it cant stand up to the newer systems coming out.
Why the hell not? If you dont want biased opinions, stay away from THE prime source of english language gp32 discussion!

I think that the gp32 is going out of buissness soon. Mainly because there not expanding fast enough. And they have to bring the goods to the us. Thats were all the real advertising starts.
Ok you just lots me here! Earlier you slammed the monopoly of nintendo and now you only wanna buy a system that is force fed to you?

I think that if gp32 started making better systems capable of having sd media with no limit storage and faster cpu's with more promissing games' i think that the gp32 will succeed in the race.
quick, someone from gamepark hire this inspirational thinker! What will he say next? People will die less if they didnt smoke? Stuff would fall out of the sky less if there wasnt gravity?

But if it continues the way its going then you wont be seeing GP32'S anywhere in the next 10 years.
Right....

So there you have it

I've never felt the need to flame anyone in my life before now, but sayquestionsaskanswers has somehow managed it.

Your badly-researched, largely imaginary and self-contradictory rant aside, your writing style had me in genuine pain! Mine is far from perfect - I imagine there will be some obvious typos in this post - but I like to think it's at least in English. I pray for your sake that either:

* English is not your first language (while most of the obvious forigners on this board speak it better than you do, I can't complain as english is my only language).
* You are dyslexic (your writing style doen't suggest this and is much, much worse than other dyslexics I know)
* You really are
an 8 year old child with the mumps.
(thanks davey_g, that had me and my housemates laughing :) )

If either of the first two reasons really is the case, I apologise wholeheartedly for any offence caused about your writing style, but the rest of my comments stand.

spray posted on May 17 2004 at 02:27 PM said:
Cheers for that mystic meg, keep watching the skys!

I think that if gp32 started making better systems capable of having sd media with no limit storage and faster cpu's with more promissing games' i think that the gp32 will succeed in the race.
quick, someone from gamepark hire this inspirational thinker! What will he say next? People will die less if they didnt smoke? Stuff would fall out of the sky less if there wasnt gravity?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, so cruel! Let me sort this out..I just want a chance to say something!
Anyway, I know you are dissing his writing style, but he really could be an 8 year old, or dyslexic, it does not mean we should poke fun at it, it is his own desicion to type like a retard, and plus he was only trying to bring something fresh to talk about, or rather flame about!

I don't really agree with the person who said.. "if you like kirby over halo then there is something wrong with you..", because there is not! I would choose Cute Kirby over Violent Halo any day, because he is cute and very popular. And Halo is just shooting and running..! (No offence to any Halo lovers out there, just my opinion ^^; )

I thought technology was advancing everyday, I am sure that we might see a 2ghz pocket pc one day, but now lets just look at what we have now and not take it for granted! If we have fun playing something, then don't complain and just get on with it! Moaning about this and that is not going to make it happen. I must admit I am being a little hyopcritical, and I admit that..so ner!

Nintendo DS might catch on, it does look so great, but too big and bulky, not very cute. I really want PSP to suceed, as it does look great, although I liked the earlier model best..

I know some people might flame this, but this is my honest opinion about things, I don't flame at someone for liking different things. Although I liked it when he said "okay mystic meg......." . Thank you for reading this long post..

Well I consider the Eve to be an intreging artifact, it's shape is flawed from a ergonomic point of view, the bend in the case is too great, but as a piece of technology it is very interesting.

This is the first commercial product to use VIA's new nano-ITX platform (well sort of it's a mobile verient called Grace), if you want to know how small nano-ITX is pickup a CD case, nano-ITX is a bit smaller than that! From the specs on site they're useing the slowest of the three Eden-N processors, a 533mhz using 4w of power, the other two in the range are a 800mhz at 6w and and a 1ghz at 7w. I'm guessing that MOMA went with the 533mhz one for power useage and heat distribution reasons.

Hopefully by the time of release they will have relaxed the case a bit, or hinged even hinged it (a swively twisty hinge so that the screen folds round to face the back of the case for protection). I think it could be a sweet little machine if they get the ergonomics right, and the memory requierments for the embeded WinXP are less than for the desktop version.

The reason I would have for purchasing this machine (if I had any money free after upgrading my computer that is) would be pretty much the same as those for which I bought my gp32_console , which are to play all my old favourites, watch videos, and confuse people by having a piece of hardware which they can't identify :ph34r: .

I think I was pretty scathing about the thing a few days ago, but looking into it properly it could be a nice little machine, and it's specs would allow for Neverwinter Nights on the move, I think I could put up with the windows onscreen keyboard for the few times you have to use it in that.

Zayfod

P.S. info got from here mini-itx.com

Back