New guide to better quality Divx files.

Hmmm ive tired following the guide to encode the Mummy (2hrs 5 mins) the second pass result was 256MB very good quality but with very noticable motion blurr on most scenes. :(
What version of Virtualdub did you use? You must use 14c to get a smaller final file size and generally better results.
I hadn't noticed excessive motion blurr before in the films I've done.I will try The Mummy to check.

M^4,Jun 9 2003, 12:44 AM

Stainless Steel Rat rocks, BTW!

Yes the Stainless Steel Rat is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.5 Vdub is what I use as it is easy to convert to exactly 10Fps. Im really intrested in getting this double pass, high quality compresion to work. Thanks for taking the time Jim.

1.5 Vdub is what I use as it is easy to convert to exactly 10Fps.
Well the reason I asked Jim why he says to use v1.4c is that I have tried both and I seem to get A/V desynched. Using the 1-pass I never had this problem (with 1.54) so I was wondering if there was something specific to 1.4c that made it better for the 2-pass.

Thanks.

When encoding a GP32 DivX, the latest versions of Virtualdub create larger final files than version 14c.
You use exactly the same settings, but the files come out smaller.I'm not 100% sure why this is the case, but it's true.
I know the process is time consuming, but try to encode the same movie with 14c and you will see it comes in a lot smaller.

The later versions of Virtualdub have a nicer resize filter(Lanczos3) and the volume boost option is nice too.It's a real shame, but for many films the size will be just too big.

A/V sync errors are a real pain for sure.I get them sometimes and its a real bind.I have been using a very rough fix which works sometimes.
It's pretty awful and I'm trying to come up with something which is easier to do and will work consistently.I'll post a link to this shakey semi-soloution in a sec.I have had A/V sync errors once or twice when using v1.5x for single pass encodes so I don't think v1.4c is alone in this, but it could well be more prone to the problem.I've been using v14c for 2-pass encodes pretty much exclusivley, due to the file size problems in the very latest versions.I'm still testing some slightly later versions.It could even be some completely separate variable that is causing these sync problems.I really would love to solve this one.

A link to the extremely alpha and frankly, confusing A/V desync possible fix.I really need to put together something better :(

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...st=0&#entry4615

Well the reason I asked Jim why he says to use v1.4c is that I have tried both and I seem to get A/V desynched. Using the 1-pass I never had this problem (with 1.54) so I was wondering if there was something specific to 1.4c that made it better for the 2-pass.

Thanks.
I think you'll find the reason he uses 1.4c over the latest is file size, v1.5 makes considerable larger files with the same settings, yet with no better quality, hence why your better using v1.4c

Snooty, my bad, I was applying my best guess to the situation. In that case, Gamepark/Entware just didn't code it well enough to adapt to DivX ;) 5

Thanks.
I think you'll find the reason he uses 1.4c over the latest is file size, v1.5 makes considerable larger files with the same settings, yet with no better quality, hence why your better using v1.4c
Is this only on 2 pass or is it true for 1 pass as well?

Yup.Smaller files for both single and 2-pass encodes.

I've updated the zip file on my web page to include a later version of Virtualdub(1.4 7).This version includes the handy audio volume control feature.It also retains the essential feature of producing smaller final file sizes than the more current versions of Virtualdub.

I've recently found that coverting MPEG's to avi through virtualdub and switching off audio/video interleave (to keep audio video sync) allows you to run movies encoded with 1-pass and a bitrate of 115 to run at 15fps in moviepark, I've had some spectacular results. Is this 15fps thing normal?....I thought only 10fps was possible in terms of acceptable visibility. I'll glady send the opening to sonic CD via e-mail if anyone wants to see it running at 15fps.

Hey all.
I just got my gp32 about a week ago, and im loving it. Its great for school when your bored and have nothing to do.
Anyways, it says to use divx codec 4.12, but I can only see 5.03? Is it ok to use this or am I doing something wrong?
Any help would be great, thanks

I've recently found that coverting MPEG's to avi through virtualdub and switching off audio/video interleave (to keep audio video sync) allows you to run movies encoded with 1-pass and a bitrate of 115 to run at 15fps in moviepark
No one has said they got 15fps to run till now. Are you saying you have a method that makes this happen in MoviePark?

If so, could you post some step-by-steps or provide a link to your VDub processing settings?

Does the Divx player plays Xvid files?
Can someone test it?

p.S i am goona buy a GP32 soon.

I've updated the guide web site.I've added a fix for anyone that may of had any A/V sync problems- thanks go to M^4 for helping me test it.
I've also given the site a full make-over and added a FAQ.

One question I have Jim - do you have to do the audio compression on the second pass also or just the video? Your guide doesn't mention it.

Just set the audio settings for the 1st-pass and leave them alone after that.
You don't quit Virtualdub at all during the entire process, so the audio settings remain constant through both passes.

Back