New Gpadvance Version - V1.48

AT this rate I will be playing a gba on my gp32 by my holiday! You have exactly for weeks to get to full speed. Normally most people would say its impossible but look at the speed they're going at! I havn't seen anything code that fast since I bribed a monkey to start a company called bungie and make game called halo in 1 week for a bag of bannanas :eek:

its not really fullspeed they have to get
its prety close to there
its good compatibility their trying to get

compatibilty in emulators don't really make sense to me
if one games runs it seems like all games should run

How about making one thread for all these updates? Then, everytime there's a new version, someone just edits the first post with info about the new version?

Yeah - I didn't even want to post this as new news, cause it's getting a little boring and confusing (e.g. hando doubleposted me with V1.38)

diablo2 posted on Jul 10 2004 at 08:45 PM said:
compatibilty in emulators don't really make sense to me
if one games runs it seems like all games should run
Not really, when you think about it. If a game only uses a part of the system, or uses it in a particular way, then it will have different requirements to one that requires every opcode of the CPU, has a lot of GPU effects going on, and requires absolute perfection itself when it comes to timing of the different bits to happen at the same time.

Think of it as an incomplete hotel. All the rooms are there, but they only get cleaned when you leave, there's no room-service, and the telephones link to all the wrong places. For the average guest, that could well be fine - there's a bed there, they can sleep in. There's a bog to use, and somewhere to put their baggage. But for someone for whom the internet is how they make their living, and they *have* to be in contact with every one of their contacts day in-day out, the hotel would be woefully inadequate due to the lack of phone lines. Equally, for someone who is particularly fussy, and is only willing to eat in their room - they aren't going to stay there.

Similarly, with an emulator, different games require different bits of the system - or the "hotel" to be complete in order to function. Some are easy to please, others are more fussy. In the current state of GPA, think of it as a hotel with no bed, but working facilities. The odd game is happy to live there, but most of them aren't yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for clearing that up
compatibilty seems easier to do than speed though
because compatibility only requires porting
while spead would require someone to optimized code that another good coder has already writen

so if he ports the remaining parts of the emultor that he needs from vba or where ever and codes the dynamic loading he wants to do he would have full compatibility

it sounds like compatibility shouldn't be that impossible of a task

Naaa, I don't complain about the updates... I NEVER would do that :)

But they update that fast, that I don't think EVERY update has to be mentioned in the news on the front page... where's the point when every second news post begins with"A new GPAdvance version is out..."

I think it's enough to mention BIG updates (i.e. when dynamic rom loading is included, etc.) or to remind you guys every few days that a new version is out :)

Maybe only mention updates of 0.05? So it will be posted in news when it hits 1.40, 1.45, 1.50 etc

Thought I would throw my few cents in, I think that doing a new update for every version is a good idea. It increases all the GBA hopefuls here, and perhaps that in turn makes the coders a bit more work ready?

I know I for one always enjoy seeing a new version. It is very very good to know that I have such a capable machine in my hands, with such capable coders holding one as well.

i think we should do what evil dragon suggests
only things with noticible differences

as i cannot see much of a difference between 1.38 and 1.39

kotd posted on Jul 10 2004 at 04:43 PM said:
Maybe only mention updates of 0.05? So it will be posted in news when it hits 1.40, 1.45, 1.50 etc
No, that's too small. It should be at least increments of 0.10. So it'd be posted in the news when it hits 1.40, 1.50, 1.60, etc.

Zero3K posted on Jul 11 2004 at 12:11 AM said:
Actually its Revision number 1.39. It doesn't have a version number yet...
:rolleyes:
:lol:

I really doin't mind it being post on the webpage - I actually prefer atleast the news page gets updated more often and I don't come to the page and get discouraged from reading the post becuase there hasn't been any new news :p

It hapens sometimes every now and again - I just wish I knew what the differances really are between version ;)

Back