New Gpadvance Version - V1.48

pip

[Mod - This gets updated so often it's unproductive to have a new News post every single time. So the Xtreme staff will try to keep the latest version number on these posts. The changes on GPAdvance's site are now listed in English sometimes by Torlus, but if you want our reactions, look at the last page of posts. The versions are changing so fast you'll only need to go back maybe a page or two.

Latest change as of 1.47

- corrected bugs
- improved stability
- cache is disabled (worse performance but better compatibility)

Lastest change as of 1.48

- Unknown (none given yet)

END MOD]

A new version of gpadvance was released yesterday. Unfortunately due to my poor French I have to use babelfish to translate it:

Hello tt the world! I make a pause to give some news of l emulator gba. This emu is now my subject of training course, then in this moment j'y bump 8h per day. In more ThunderZ and Torlus m'ont joined, therefore Ca does not have badly advanced lately. We use more and more code of VisualBoyAdvance, while keeping of course l'idée of departure not to emulate the proc. The c'est result that thanks to Torlus, all the vidéos modes go, on the other hand c'est still very far d'être fluid. With share Ca the weather remains a heap of tricks has to be super important, therefore you do not rejuissez too quickly. J'ai not too time to update the site, then if quelqu'un wants s'en to occupy, he is welcome. If you want to see where one is, you can always test version CVS, there is as some demos in the CVS, on the other hand useless to specify as c'est a version under development, and who rather often changes. Then useless also d'envoyer of the "bugs report"

So I assume he is working eight hours per day as a part of a school project, with the help of ThunderZ and Torlus he is making this project a reality, which is indeed good news. This was taken from http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=43247 whilst the new version can be downloaded from the CVS section of http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpadvance/

i'm aware of thunderz's stuff

can anyone give me a little insight into what torlus has done in the past, with someone as experienced as thunderz onboard the project is sure to do well, if torlus is also good we can hope for some good things from this coalition!

spray posted on Jul 1 2004 at 10:49 AM said:
i'm aware of thunderz's stuff

can anyone give me a little insight into what torlus has done in the past, with someone as experienced as thunderz onboard the project is sure to do well, if torlus is also good we can hope for some good things from this coalition!
I believe Torlus did the KVM port for the GBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
im confused... :blink:

where can i download this new version.

i went to the CVS section and i dunno where ta go lol.

i browsed the CVS and still cudent find n e thing.

It was added 16 hours ago so it probobly is the new one.

where do i put the roms??

i put them in gpmm/gba and when i go to load it just....er...well weird lol

you have to put them in gpmm/gpadv
and i have tested some original Games, and nothing worked...
but still good to hear they are working hard on it :)

Sonic-NKT posted on Jul 1 2004 at 01:11 PM said:
you have to put them in gpmm/gpadv
and i have tested some original Games, and nothing worked...
but still good to hear they are working hard on it :)
Well that is to be expected.
however this is very good news...

Tobriand posted on Jul 1 2004 at 02:36 PM said:
Luuuuurvely :D

Now I need to get a few GBA demos again and throw them at it... se what works now that didn't before :)
Most of the demos at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gpadvance/gpadv/demos/ seems to work, including the ones using sprites such as pong. I wouldn't be suprised if some <= 32Mbit commercial game actually worked now.

I'm trying a few now, they all exit with either:
V-Blank IRQ under dev!
or
SWI 0x11 & 0x12 (LZ77UnCompWram) not support

and in one case it gave me a corrupt screen. (It did respond properly to the keys though, so the only thing wrong there was the screen).

Just for anyone wondering, I tried:

Classic NES Series Super Mario Bros (U) <--- SWI error
Classic NES Series Excite Bike (U) <--- SWI error
Classic NES Series Donkey Kong (U) <--- SWI error
XS Moto (U) <--- Corrupt screen
Thunder Alley (U) <--- V-Blank IRQ under dev!

Edit:

Testing about 7 more, will report back.

Edit2:

Ok, here goes:

FightBox_EUR_GBA-TRM <--- SWI 0x6: DIV and SWI 0xb (CpuSet)
Demon Driver Time to Burn Rubber (u) <--- Nothing but a black screen, LOG says V-Blank IRQ under dev!
Mission Impossible Operation Surma (u) <--- Same
pikapika nurse monogatari (j) <--- Just sits there, LOG says SWI 0xb (CpuSet)
Shifting Gears Road Trip (u) <--- Also just sits there, LOG says SWI 0xc (CpuFastSet) not supported
Antz Extreme Racing (U) <--- What a surprise, it just sits there... LOG says SWI 0x2 (Halt) not supported and V-Blank IRQ under dev!
Bookworm_USA_GBA-RS <--- I actually got a bit of screen flicker off this one, I'm just letting it sit here with a black screen. Nothing in the log.

Anyway, conclusion:

I think it's safe to say that: No, it doesn't support any commercial roms yet (Seeing as I tried 12 roms, all of which failed).

Make sure to change the clock speed in the general option before you load a rom (up to 160mhz). You can also select video stretching and sound in the options before loading a game but neither of those seem to work just yet.

Dozer posted on Jul 1 2004 at 04:33 PM said:
Make sure to change the clock speed in the general option before you load a rom (up to 160mhz). You can also select video stretching and sound in the options before loading a game but neither of those seem to work just yet.
I thought none of the options worked yet, including clockspeed.

Tristan, even VBA cannot emulate those NES classics (at least not the version I tried), so it is highly unlikely it will work on GPAdv yet.

Well, the old demos still run... I think. At least, the Leonard 3D one does, as do the 3D dot "GBA" demos (mode 5?). In addition, one "game" works that I've tried (called something like magic boxes - its a debug games for NO$GBA, I think it says), and Marble ADVANCE loads to the title screen - though as yet nothing's happened after that.

I imagine 66MHz is giving us ~accurate speed - anyone making judgments bear in mind that's what its set to atm...

pip posted on Jul 1 2004 at 03:40 PM said:
Dozer posted on Jul 1 2004 at 04:33 PM said:
I thought none of the options worked yet, including clockspeed.

Tristan, even VBA cannot emulate those NES classics (at least not the version I tried), so it is highly unlikely it will work on GPAdv yet.
Yeah sorry, I just tested and that's not working either. I'll hex up a speed then :). Btw, all the homebrew I've tested has worked so far. Although I'm testing simple games mainly. Pong etc.

i found a demo.gba lying around my HD, and it seems to be some early build of the original GBA version of Yeti3D. choppy, but looks perfect! a small homebrew game called BombOAMan works perfectly as well.

Back