GP32 New Gp32 Emu?

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I'm thinking of a new emu, but something a little bit different. Rather than being a emu for the gp32, being a emu of the gp32. Bit like Firefly's GeePee32, but more orientated towards developers. It would run under Windows.

So for example, you could fully debug your apps and games with it by stepping through the source - I may be able to make it later on so you could see your C step intermixed with the ARM assembly, be able to set breakpoints, evaluate variables, etc.

Hopefully, it might even get more developers on the scene :)

BTW:
If no one is interested, then I may do it anyway - knowledge is power :)

Squidge posted on Aug 30 2004 at 11:43 PM said:
but more orientated towards developers. It would run under Windows.

Ah well, lots of developers use linux/unix/os x, so why don't you just try to keep it platform independent? I'd probably kill for a decent linux gp32 emu for development purposes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I long for a GP32 emulator with real, convient virtual SMC support. Having a debug file makes things a LOT easier. If someone could just make a modular, open source GP32 emulator, that would be just as good - then people could port it to the platform of their choice.

You know you can step line-by-line in the C source already if you use GDB and it's on linux AND windows?

Oh, and not emulated, so you know it's working on hardware.

Uses USB cable and a few programs, pretty nifty.

I'm aware of and have used JTAG-based debugging, yes. However, I'd like to learn more about debugging formats, etc, so thought of this project.

However, if your not talking about JTAG, then I wouldn't mind more info :)

I'm very very interesting to have a good GP32 emu for windows os.
It's very good to test basicaly all features of one gp32 program before test it on real gp.

Lot of thing are not (yet?) implemented in geepee32 :(

Sounds like a nice idea Squidge. Who knows? Maybe it could become portable in later life - which would be nice :).

Last thing I wan't to do really is spend a long time learning a new GUI toolkit, so it'll most likely be Windows only / MFC-based, then I'll release the source later on and you can port to Linux or your OS of choice :)

It'll most likely take several months to even be usable though so don't get your hopes up just yet.

Squidge posted on Sep 1 2004 at 06:57 AM said:
Last thing I wan't to do really is spend a long time learning a new GUI toolkit, so it'll most likely be Windows only / MFC-based, then I'll release the source later on and you can port to Linux or your OS of choice :)

i know that u dont want to learn a new gui toolkit, but if u have portability in mind, u should start with wxwidgets, it a damn good portable gui toolkit, easy and fast to learn, and much easier than mfc, www.wxwindows.org. and the better, u just will have to recompile on the target source without much hassle :p

wxwidgets (formerly wxwindows) is .. tolerable. It may work just for being a wrapper to have some basic stuff going on, but I've found nothing but trouble in any advanced application due to some fundamental issues it has. For free apps, its all there is pretty much, though gtk/win can be useful as well..

For any real GUI app, I'd stay the heck away from wxwidgets :/ Its got a good heart, ands a lot of great people, but its just broken in a lot of ways :/ (it wasted a lot of time and money of mine :)

Axeman -- glad to hear you're working on your coding :)

jeff

all nice and everything, but ****
i don't have windows :p
so i'd really like to see this on native linux rather than just wine
please keep the code as portable as possible at least

Well, the Lynx emu is running as fast as possible now, so I was going to write this, and then use it to rewrite parts of the Lynx emu in ASM. Whether it actually gets down is another thing however.

Squidge posted on Aug 30 2004 at 10:43 PM said:
I'm thinking of a new emu, but something a little bit different. Rather than being a emu for the gp32, being a emu of the gp32. Bit like Firefly's GeePee32, but more orientated towards developers. It would run under Windows.

So for example, you could fully debug your apps and games with it by stepping through the source - I may be able to make it later on so you could see your C step intermixed with the ARM assembly, be able to set breakpoints, evaluate variables, etc.

Hopefully, it might even get more developers on the scene :)

BTW:
If no one is interested, then I may do it anyway - knowledge is power :)

Would be _really_ nice.. if it would be portable -- read more or less just a recompile -- to other platforms. That shouldn't be too hard (considering there is SDL and ways to write endianess neutral code). ;)

I don't think it'll end up being a "just compile for your platform", but I will try and make porting it as easy as possible.

It would be great if your emu could run gp32linux as well, in order to profile it and to test new apps on it...

because gp32linux doesn't run on geepee32

If Gp32Linux uses the MMU, then I don't think mine will use it either as it doesn't support the MMU as yet, and I think it may slow down the emulation too much to put it in.

Back