Release New Game? [Lucasarts Night Shift Remake]

endless_dark

Still Fresh
Hi all, I was thinkin in doing a game, and port it to the Pandora, but before starting telling you about I need an answer.
I was planning to code it in ruby, and using Gosu and maybe Chipmunk for the physics, is this ok for the Pandora or will be problematic?

endless_dark said:
Hi all, I was thinkin in doing a game, and port it to the Pandora, but before starting telling you about I need an answer.
I was planning to code it in ruby, and using Gosu and maybe Chipmunk for the physics, is this ok for the Pandora or will be problematic?
It's going to be slooow (maybe, I don't know how well you code).
Just don't use Ruby for game programming, will you? :p It's made for the web and should stay on the web ;)
(Only my opinion here)
Python or Scala would be more reasonable alternatives.

dflemstr said:
endless_dark said:
It's going to be slooow (maybe, I don't know how well you code).
Just don't use Ruby for game programming, will you? :p It's made for the web and should stay on the web ;)
(Only my opinion here)
Python or Scala would be more reasonable alternatives.
I was thinking in ruby because it's "attached" to gosu, but I will check pygame. I will take a look and come back with some more info about this possible game.

Aw, use Ruby. Like Python, it's painfully slow. Also like Python, that probably doesn't matter if you're using it for basic game logic, because the fast parts will be encapsulated by the C library and you can code anything that's really ugly in C and link it in.

The "Computer Language Shootout" has Ruby at 1/6 to 1/2 the speed of Python, but that's OLD; some benchmarks have new versions of Ruby being faster (in one case, much much faster with Ruby 1.9).

I have used both languages (Python extensively) and if I had a chance to use Ruby more, I would. It's a good little language.

vputz said:
I have used both languages (Python extensively) and if I had a chance to use Ruby more, I would. It's a good little language.
"little" being the operative word here. The performance you get in Ruby always depends on what libraries you are using, since Ruby really doesn't have any core libraries that could be optimized. So if you find a good framework, then you might be able to give it a shot.

Well, so maybe it's not that bad using Ruby, I gave pygame a try, but I had some problems with animated sprites. So I prefer using Ruby.
I would use Gosu http://www.libgosu.org, so it should give a nice performance, as far as I know gosu uses C++ SDL functions, so it should be ok.

I am gonna explain my project better:
First, the reason I am giving few information is that I don't wanna make much noise until I know that I'm doing this seriously, my main priority is to make a real and finished product, so I better keep it simple and easy (that's way I'm using Ruby and that's why it's 2D).
This is not going to be a groundbreaking game, but at least I want to release a 100% complete game, because of the experience I have in amateur games, I know this is very uncommon.

Another important issue, I'm going to make it using "checkpoints" that is, that I will try to get some goals. And I've planned the last goal, the media issue. I have seen many media artists get frustrated making stuff for projects that will never see the light. So, the last thing I've planned to do after I get a complete playable game, with shitty graphics and music, it's to search for illustrators and musicians through some communities on the Internet, showing them first a finished product.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Briefly, we could say that the project it's on the first stage, the goal now it's to know if the programming language and the 2D engine are well chosen, so, maybe the first thing to be done it's to get running some of the gosu/ruby examples on the open pandora.

So now, I must investigate some info related to cross-compiling this stuff for ARM and post results here for some of the pandora owners to test it. Right?

Comments are welcome :wink:

No one replies here, I feel lonely :( haha.
Anyway, the 0.5 step it's done, I have successfully installed and tried the Qemu package provided by today.openpandora under Linux.
Thanks to the people who made the package and to the person who posted how to run it under Linux.

The steps to get this are:
- Installing qemu:
Code:
#apt-get install qemu
- Downloading the pre-made package:
Code:
wget http://bunnitude.com/misc/files/angstrom.qemu.exe
- Installing 7zip:
Code:
#apt-get install p7zip-full
- Uncompressing the .exe:
Code:
 7z x angstrom.qemu.exe
- Getting into the angstorm directory:
Code:
cd Angstroem/
- Running it:
Code:
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -hda hdd.img -m 256 -kernel kernel.bin -append "root=/dev/sda" -localtime -usb -usbdevice wacom-tablet -show-cursor
Quite easy! :wink:

Now going for the second 0.5 step, which is running some ruby/gosu examples here. Next week I have my last to exams until September so I will spend some time on this after doing them. Stay tunned!

Edit [after installing firefox and getting into google using emulated Anstrong Linux]: This thing it's soooooo slow, I know that it's emulating a limited device, but, it took ages to install firefox and even takes it's time to write on the address field.

Tip: go to the main forum @ gp32x.de/board to get more responses

And you won't be able to measure any kind of performance in a virtual machine; it still has different clocks and hardware compared to the Pandora you know :p

And if you now use Ruby, why crosscompile? Ruby isn't a compiled language you know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back