Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
OK late last night, when I should have been getting ready for bed, I quickly ported over Spout from the GP2X port by noskill and MichaelA.
gpspout.gif

"Spout" is a small, abstract shooting game from Japanese developer kuni. You goal is just to keep flying higher and higher without hitting the obstacles, which you can erode away with your thruster. Simple classic game!

Controls
  • LEFT/RIGHT - steer ship
  • A/B/X/Y - SHOOT!
  • ESC - Quit

Nothing too problematic, just a case of tweaking the scale-factor and correcting some hard-coded values of screen resolution I spotted, and putting sensible controls for the Pandora.

Download - Archive - Store

Many thanks for this - just downloaded and really looking forward to playing it given how fun it was on the gp2x and gp32!

PokeParadox said:
Xmoon said:
Thruster(?) is much better.
Interestingly enough, I was thinking of trying to find the sources for that next...
Here is the game thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/35542-thruster-for-gp2x/

Maybe you could e-mail Vilmos and see if he will give out source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Poke! I'm not a big gamer, but this is fun. I like these little games withall the strategy and none of the distracting color, details, etc. Just pure strategy/gameplay. :).

Sokoban is in the same vein as this, though less about reflexes.

I love this :D Thanks much, playing it on my phat DS and a Supercard CF wasted hours for me, highly addictive.

fischju2000 said:
I love this :D Thanks much, playing it on my phat DS and a Supercard CF wasted hours for me, highly addictive.

Agreed. This game reminds me of the old games I used to play on my TI-83. ;)

-God Ginrai

It is a classic, no frills gameplay. I wasted hours on it with my 2x. I'm just trying to get some of the gems I used to play ported over to the nicer screen, longer battery life and better controls we have! ;)

No promises or anything, but if I said Gish would you love me? (downloaded the source yesterday...)
Edit... I don't know if I can... it's linked in a way that C::B build system doesn't like... and I suck at make files...

PokeParadox said:
Xmoon said:
Thruster(?) is much better.
Interestingly enough, I was thinking of trying to find the sources for that next...

Now I think I wrote like a stupid person. Sorry. :unsure:

I think a lot of great things can be added to thruster to make it even better. I hoped that Vilmos could continue at least with zodiac version.

PokeParadox said:
It is a classic, no frills gameplay. I wasted hours on it with my 2x. I'm just trying to get some of the gems I used to play ported over to the nicer screen, longer battery life and better controls we have! ;)

No promises or anything, but if I said Gish would you love me? (downloaded the source yesterday...)
Edit... I don't know if I can... it's linked in a way that C::B build system doesn't like... and I suck at make files...

I am glad that you are porting a lot of the Gems from the GP2X. There were a lot there. ;) As for Gish, I've never played it, but I would be interested in trying it. Btw, Have you tried checking to see if it might work well in Geany? And is it a problem with the Makefile, or would you need to make a Makefile to fix it and you don't really know where to start?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
As for Gish, I've never played it, but I would be interested in trying it. Btw, Have you tried checking to see if it might work well in Geany? And is it a problem with the Makefile, or would you need to make a Makefile to fix it and you don't really know where to start?
Basically the makefile compiles each c file into objects then links them together... conversely, C::B tries to compile it as a tree... the source isn't really setup to allow it.. I've tried to change values here and there but still I just get compiler errors since C::B thinks things are out of scope...

So basically it does build with the make file, but I can only get the make file to build the linux build... obviously to port I need to get the make file creating the Pandora build. Also it uses Cmake... which is also out of my comfort zone.

If I can figure out how to get it to build in C::B I can hack away at the code and translate the GL to ES fairly straight-forwardly, from the code I've seen it's nothing too complex.

Basically I'm struggling with how the source files themselves are laid out, not with any of their content.

PokeParadox said:
God Ginrai said:
As for Gish, I've never played it, but I would be interested in trying it. Btw, Have you tried checking to see if it might work well in Geany? And is it a problem with the Makefile, or would you need to make a Makefile to fix it and you don't really know where to start?
Basically the makefile compiles each c file into objects then links them together... conversely, C::B tries to compile it as a tree... the source isn't really setup to allow it.. I've tried to change values here and there but still I just get compiler errors since C::B thinks things are out of scope...

So basically it does build with the make file, but I can only get the make file to build the linux build... obviously to port I need to get the make file creating the Pandora build. Also it uses Cmake... which is also out of my comfort zone.

If I can figure out how to get it to build in C::B I can hack away at the code and translate the GL to ES fairly straight-forwardly, from the code I've seen it's nothing too complex.

Basically I'm struggling with how the source files themselves are laid out, not with any of their content.

Well, have you tried Geany? Geany supports specifying your own Make, grep, etc, so it might work out better for you. Also, for getting it to build the Pandora build, shouldn't it just be using the cross compiler instead of standard gcc and linking the correct libraries?

-God Ginrai

Tried Geany... um... don't like it! :S
I dunno... I might just hack around with the Gish source regardless converting it to GLES and then someone else can do the final build... meh. I would love to play Gish on the Pand though.

Anyway in other news it looks like a port of Thruster will go ahead! :) I'm just waiting for the source to be packaged up by Vilmos.

Back