New Firmware For Mid October?

Is it confirmed that there will be a option to adjust the screen brightness?

My Mk1 screen looks too bright and faded compared to the mk2 screen.

hackgrid posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:20 AM said:
Cervante posted on Sep 26 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
when I plug the GP2X via USB it keeps asking me for drivers, also USBmon dosent work..

That's your fault ;)
No, it isn't. He is supposed to be using the RNDIS Drivers from the archive. USBmon stopped doing anything after FW2.0.0 was released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
What's the point of the underclocking in the menu to save battery life if you just tie up the CPU doing useless blending effects? Besides, who still wants to use GP2XMenu over gmenu2x?
I doubt a couple of transitions will hog the CPU in such a manner. And I use GP2Xmenu myself, I find it to be more intuitive, accessible, better organized, and less cluttered than GMenu2x.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:45 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
What's the point of the underclocking in the menu to save battery life if you just tie up the CPU doing useless blending effects? Besides, who still wants to use GP2XMenu over gmenu2x?
I doubt a couple of transitions will hog the CPU in such a manner. And I use GP2Xmenu myself, I find it to be more intuitive, accessible, better organized, and less cluttered than GMenu2x.

- Alex
Switching screens already lags the system because you're swapping 320x240 images around, with no hardware blitting, even. It's going to be much worse trying to fade between them with alpha levels-- they are murder on the 920T, I've seen it firsthand with images that big.

so im stuck with a stupidly bright screen on my Mk2? it's far too bright, all the colours look washed out and faded unless you tilt it forward so much, but then you can play looking from above the unit...

i'll probably never go back to the default menu now after gmenu2x, as long as it keeps getting updated. and what do you mean cluttered? it's only as cluttered as you make it, you can change everything how you like...

I prefer the more traditional list display to many icons, it's a matter of personal preference.

- Alex

Paradox posted on Sep 26 2006 at 04:19 PM said:
so im stuck with a stupidly bright screen on my Mk2? it's far too bright, all the colours look washed out and faded unless you tilt it forward so much, but then you can play looking from above the unit...

i'll probably never go back to the default menu now after gmenu2x, as long as it keeps getting updated. and what do you mean cluttered? it's only as cluttered as you make it, you can change everything how you like...
Play with the gamma yet? You may not be able to change the backlight brightness but gamma makes a big difference for color accuracy. MK2 displays are psychotically bright with gamma at full, which they are by default. I think most people use '0.6'.

Epicenter posted on Sep 27 2006 at 01:55 AM said:
Paradox posted on Sep 26 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

Play with the gamma yet? You may not be able to change the backlight brightness but gamma makes a big difference for color accuracy. MK2 displays are psychotically bright with gamma at full, which they are by default. I think most people use '0.6'.

Where do you get to change the Gamma? I do it in Games but my Movie player isnt bright enough. I have to hold it right in front in me cause I cant see it...

sweet got it working using the commandline and everything now loads up to Gmenu2x with Gamma 2.0

Let me ask this though, I have a MK2 (at least thats what Lik Sang said when I bought it) and Ive heard its suppose to be a better screen as far as brightness so it seems odd I should have to be it at 2.0 Is there anyway to tell if its a MK2. Like in the info or something?

My Model is:
GP2X - F100(B)

Easiest way to tell is by the label on the back. If it's almost entirely korean, it's a MKII.

Yeah, on the subject of the LCD screens, it is interesting. My MKII screen is nicer. When I first got it I thought the screen was dark, but tilt it a few degrees and it becomes the right brightness. Very restricted viewing angle though.

On reflection, the screen on my mid GP2x (between first and second edition) has a really good screen. I really hope I don't break it doing my mod.

Talking about the e-book reader, I just hope they/somebody will work back on the PDF reader...

i think that would be pretty hard... Im not for sure, but I know the PSP doesnt have one and it had been tried before. I think it would have to be something integrated at a Hardware level, so I guess like a Firmware update.

Does anyone have any news if its still coming for mid october?

It was suposed to come out in july....talk about a big delay...3 months! :S

Back