Thumb Problems (ergonomics)

christo930

I am a (slightly) older gamer (upper mid 30's) and after years of game playing, I have trouble with my left thumb. It is used as the firing button on Atari style joysticks and control for all the others. My thumb gets so sore I can't play after maybe an hour. I think most of the damage was done using the atari style joysticks when I was younger. Is this a common thing, or am I just unlucky. It might be CTS or RSI, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you to allow you to play longer or reduce the pain and stiffness?

Chris

christo930 said:
I am a (slightly) older gamer (upper mid 30's) and after years of game playing, I have trouble with my left thumb. It is used as the firing button on Atari style joysticks and control for all the others. My thumb gets so sore I can't play after maybe an hour. I think most of the damage was done using the atari style joysticks when I was younger. Is this a common thing, or am I just unlucky. It might be CTS or RSI, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you to allow you to play longer or reduce the pain and stiffness?

Chris
i just crack all my knuckles..even my neck needs violently shaken from side to side to get rid of the stiffness...lol.. (upper mid 30's) is not old...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 36, and have been playing originally on a Ballys Starcade system, then atari, TI-99 4a, coleco, etc so on and so forth. That, in addition to a lot of typing during my life, and I often feel the same way. I found that I prefer a particular size of controler. Most recently, the Nyko Air Flo has been my absolute favorite. The standard ps2 dualshock is a bit too small. The standard xbox comtroller feels akward and a tad too big. (I feel like I'm retelling Goldilocks =) hehe. The Nyko was just a little bigger than a standard ps2 one though, and filled the hands just perfectly. Very confortable, at least for me. Finding the right controller that fits your hands will probably help a lot. Secondarily, I began also using DMSO about 6 months ago. Massaging it into the hands, knuckles, wrists, etc once daily in the morning fresh out of the shower. (Due to my age and wear though, also used for hips, knees, ankles, tops of the feet, and elbows). That also has helped tremendously. I did a good amount of research and found plenty of info, you may want to look into it. Hopefully this will help.

Just a suggestion, How about (if you are able to sit down, That is) Placing the console or controller on your right knee (To support the right hand side of the console or controller) and use your middle or fore finger for pressing the action buttons.

EDIT: Ignore my mumblings above, I read your post in another thread and realized that it`s your left thumb and not your right, Duh!!!, I should read first BEFORE posting.

head-banging.gif

Trooper

Back