New Competition (has Anyone Seen These?)

DaveC: man I am in full agreement on that one.

Granted I wondered about the gp2x getting cloned itself but still it seems the chinese are more focused on just PMP at this point...and slowly working there way forward.

offtopic: man I seen that one mp4 player on that site that looked like an Ipod touch man I was kinda impressed and for that price man is it a steal...but right now I kinda want some mp3 sunglasses dunno know why lol....

anyways back ontopic...Vilmos I prefer the term Asshole...but yet and still I was just stating an honest to god opinion...maybe people just think differently and use FM radio...sorry...I know I only use FM radio when I'm in a car and even though you usually got a hook up to the car sitting in there for whatever mp3 player you got...and as far as it being with mp3 players granted its a okay idea on the whole side because you get to listen to brand new hits and listen to traffic reports yatta yatta yatta.

last but not least...I was just making a comparison because I was on the edge of getting one when I realized the differences between the two...

and can someone give me an idea why you need 2x3.5mm headphone jacks...maybe I'm a newb and am just not seeing it.

garzyboi said:
and can someone give me an idea why you need 2x3.5mm headphone jacks...maybe I'm a newb and am just not seeing it.
Well, it's not widely known, but to save money they used 3.5mm mono jacks, and they installed two of them. How else are you supposed to get stereo!

EDIT: j/k BTW, also, ppl with this device are saying it plays neo geo games, but only roms/files with a .neo extension. Any neo-geo experts out there have any clue what this format is? If ngpocket is .ngp, cd's would be iso, and the carts are all rom 'sets', what is *.neo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Specs seem good, screen looks awesome. Assuming there isn't any massive bottlenecks and there's some decent opensource shizzle, I reckon it could be a very fast machine. Naturally the lack of buttons don't help. Also depends on if you can easily execute homebrew, I doubt there's enough interest for people to build a whole new OS for it.

I expect the built in emulators are just very quick ports/hacks like the earliest GP2X emus, do enough to make it playable etc. I'm sure if GPH were to had made similar emus for the GP2X when it was released they'd be equally as nasty.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it.

the neo geo game in the video wasn't exactly the most demanding game either. the guy tried to say "racing games usually run slow" but that game has ran fine on the gp2x emu for some time. If it ran metal slug 3 at full speed than i'd be more impressed.

I understand people like tinkering with new devices but beyond that this doesn't really offer much. we have perfect genesis AND sega cd emulation which this doesn't have. snes emulation is quite good too except games with special chips and such. though some gba games don't run with our emu the ones that do run generally work quite well with some decent overclock.

jbrodack said:
the neo geo game in the video wasn't exactly the most demanding game either. the guy tried to say "racing games usually run slow" but that game has ran fine on the gp2x emu for some time. If it ran metal slug 3 at full speed than i'd be more impressed.

I understand people like tinkering with new devices but beyond that this doesn't really offer much. we have perfect genesis AND sega cd emulation which this doesn't have. snes emulation is quite good too except games with special chips and such. though some gba games don't run with our emu the ones that do run generally work quite well with some decent overclock.
LOL, that guy was fairly dodgy. He said he never played the game before but caught himself out in the video. Like a dodgy car salesman. :D

Nice price and features, however the button placement is a bit odd and no shoulder buttons or anything really new/better, means it won't replace my GP2X. Nifty though.

at 600Mhz, I think its as fast as a single CPU on the GP2X at 300Mhz. Atleast according to DMIPS. (Which I only just leanred about and I know does not mean everything. and the gp2x has a 2D accelerator) (329 Vs 330)

The adventage is that it is cheaper, small, easy to change the firmware and has a good quality 3" LCD. There are plenty if disadventages already mentioned.

I think that's it. Even if all these devs code for it, like all PMPs, it'll be hard to buy in half a year and at that point, we'll be waiting for another PMP with the blackfin CPU with good controls, for which we have already waited long enough for only one. Since no one had JXD communicates in english, it'll be hard to get assurances from them that they will continue the line.

Well, I`ve just ordered 2 JXD301`s, Just awaiting shipping confirmation, Yay. :D

I`m not too fussed whether squidge, Zodttd, r|yeh and other coders from here embrace the JXD301 and start coding for the device, Though it would bloody marvelous if they did.

It just seems to be a great little player on it`s own merits, That has the ability of playing a small catalogue of Nes, Snes, Megadrive and Neo Geo games in a smaller package and may even have better directional controls that the GP2x, Save the lack of shoulder buttons.

Even if this device only lasts me 6 months to a year (Possible reason for getting two), And is half a good as what i`ve heard people say it is, Then i`d say it was money well spent.

C`mon postie. :D

Trooper

garzyboi said:
Vilmos said:
FM radio....honestly is that really needed?
You do realize this is an audio/video player right? I mean sure it plays games, but that isn't its purpose. Personally having an fm transmitter in the mp3 player would be handy.

uh huh and I bet having XM satellite radio would be preferable in your case right?

personally you can take your FM and you know where you can put it.

yea its an audio/video player that only knows how to do that. Personally the cowon d2 or cowon x5 would beat this thing hands down in that department. granted the screen is bigger and can handle only a mild set of emus. Still granted I still think this thing is a joke as there are plenty of audio/video players that surpass this one. I mean come on, their own site markets a very similar Ipod touch model which pretty much outperforms it on every level possible...

First of all, all the chipods have a built in fm player because it's in the chipset and they're all based on the same chipset (I'm talking chipods not this unit) and I think it's great to have built in fm. Get news, weather, new music (you can record off the fm as well). People who like music do tend to listen to the radio. Its a major complaint I have against the real ipods that they don't have one. I've been considering buying a chipod rather than use my gp2x as a media player because of the price and the beating the screen would take in my pocket. Not having to worry about the screen or loosing it would be great. I'd rather loose a $40 -50 chipod than my gp2x and id rather scratch the screen of a chipod moving it in and out of my pocket than scratch the screen of my precious gp2x.

Chris

Chris

trooper said:
Received Shipping confirmation a couple of hours ago, Just waiting for the postie now.

Postman pat, Get your ass in gear. :D

Trooper
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Postman pat, Postman pat, Postman pat and his black and white cat
Early in the morning, just as jess is dawning....

any idea how long it would take for shipping to the uk, im going away on the 16th of nov and would like to get one to take with me

KoH said:
any idea how long it would take for shipping to the uk, im going away on the 16th of nov and would like to get one to take with me
I think you might be pushing it, As the quoted delivery time is 5-14 days from the time of dispatch. I am in the UK and am not building my hopes up to get it before then, More realistically between 2-3 weeks.

Bearing in mind you haven`t placed your order yet.

Trooper

When my unit was shipped, it only took 5 days to delivery - but I'm in Australia. Since their based in HK I assume it'd take a bit longer to get to the UK.

trooper said:
KoH said:
I think you might be pushing it, As the quoted delivery time is 5-14 days from the time of dispatch. I am in the UK and am not building my hopes up to get it before then, More realistically between 2-3 weeks.

Bearing in mind you haven`t placed your order yet.

Trooper

thats what I was thinking, might be a bit risky as im going on the 16th. I had a look on ebay but the only ones I could see are coming from japan aswell so no luck there.

Back