New Competition (has Anyone Seen These?)

Looks good, shame it hasnt got shoulder buttons but the thing you notice with this device is its well designed!

Not sure about spacing of the 4 right-side buttons, looks like theres a bit too much space from top to bottom.

If this was open source then I'm sure it'd be great!

As it stands; Unfulfilled potential with awesome screen.

These devices give a nice indication of where the new machine should be heading ;)

Eagerly awaiting user reviews of our new F200!

looks very much like the f200. one thing that looks bad is the placement of the buttons. seem too far from each other. also the button to bring up the menu in emulators seems very awkwardly placed especially if you would be using it as a start button. seems to be closed and even if it isn't the gp2x im sure is easier to develop for. its limited in what it can emulate. I mean nothing on there isn't emulated on the gp2x already and emulated well. I really can't see it offering anything over the gp2x.

on the plus the screen seems nice and the machine looks nice too. emulation seemed accurate. 2gb onboard memory is definitely nice.

not bad just doesn't seem to be anything amazing or anything above whats already out there besides the obvious faster processor.

The unit looks sleek and pretty. The screen seems excellent.

Separated direction, goofy button layout... ONE good speaker... Sigh...

You know it doens't take a rocket scientist to fix those little quirks. Just a GOOD PLAYER. You know, a couple of guys to test the protos and say something like "I can't combo-cancel into a special move" or "I can't perform Zangief's Spinning pile driver". Simple stuff.

Might get one if only for the curiosity.

I hope someone here gets one soon to see it properly dissected :D

Just read the review from mympxplayer.org. This little gadget seems so nice and cheap. Could have been perfect for snes emulation. Why oh why doesn't it have shoulder buttons :(

Couldn't take it anymore, I broke down and ordered one. It's so slim, and should fit nicely in a pocket, the GP2X is just a bit too bulky for me to take along everywhere. I hope there continues to be firmware updates for it, and the emulation ability of it improves. I see rlyeh is over at the mp4nation boards trying to get info on deving for it.

Hmmm after thinking about some things...hmmm this thing just doesn't hit as hard as f-200 or even a MK2 would hit.

Emu selection: only NES, snes, gba, genesis, ANd neo geo only??? WT friggin F...

so CPS2 is chopped liver along with turbo grafx, and sega cd...

the screen granted its a top quality just isn't big enough...

the D-pad they got right the buttons are very close together...enough to where you can actually pull off a diagonal...still I wonder about other motions though such as HCB...

now as Audio ability goes...its a bit stronger in that area with more codec support...granted that is a gimme but 2x3.5 headphone jacks...

It can't handle SDHC...so you max out at either 4 or 6gbs...even though the onboard 2gb is a somewhat of a good idea...

Also I don't it has any ability to play any ports of games...such as quake, doom.

another thing that bothers me...the battery...from the review and the specs...it just seems like the battery doesn't go very long either...audio yea thats great but 5-6 play time??

thats about the same in a MK2 with a set of what 2500mah AA's

FM radio....honestly is that really needed?

lastly I am very sure the USB cable and battery charger are proprietary chinese tools...meaning which if they lost or broke you may be stuck since you wouldn't be able to use an ordinary usb or power adapter....I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats case.

Lastly I highly doubt its open source...

I dunno man honestly this thing seems so crippled...in comparison to the gp2x

The idea yea looked great when I first looked but I mean...and theres also that lack of shoulder buttions.

I wouldn't buy this unless you really just didn't want a gp2x...and so what if gp2x don't exactly fit in your pocket...get bigger pockets :p

me personally I carried mine in my messenger bag when I had an MK2

Edit: had to make some adjustments.

You do realize this is an audio/video player right? I mean sure it plays games, but that isn't its purpose. Personally having an fm transmitter in the mp3 player would be handy.

I got one on the way, should be here within the next few days. From what I have read the SNES plays all games and supports all the special chips. Starfox in my hands, I can't wait! I'm thinking Star Ocean, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, etc.... :D This will probably become my portable SNES.

The only thing that stinks about it, is that, the Neo Geo emulator requires a special game rom that ends in ".neo"

As far as i could see its a typical MP4 player design, how they started to look 1 year ago. (personal estimation). Earlier models had sometimes GB + GBC emulation built-in but this new model seems to have a quite revamped firmware.

This particular MP4 player is different than its predecessors: it seems to use a non-chinese SoC which earlier models used before. There is even a project undergoing to bring a customized firmware onto those models which were based on the chinese ATJ2085 (i hope i didnt confused the model numbers :p ) which can be found over at www.s1mp3.org

The stock firmwares were bare to the metal in the past and of course not available in source. For this model i would start to doubt this experience from the past: the full media processing eigther requires a hard & long firmware development (costy), purchased decoding code fragments from its manufacturer or from 3rd party (costy) or integrated open source software parts - like from ffmpeg (quite cheap).

The design seems centered about a Blackfin processor. If my memory serves me right its has a ARM9 cpu and a companion dsp built-in which probably handles a big chunk of the video/audio processing and is probably en-par with the one inside the mmsp2 (purely speculative). What i'm amazed about is the high clocking of the unit. I never thought those chips could do as high. Maybe its a newer brethren centered about an ARM A8. The clocking of the A8 is afaik specified from 600 to 1000mhz.

The design is usually quite cheap. Especially the Keys are quite hard and a bit clunky. Looking at those i still think they use similiar ones - definitetly not recommened for playing games. I guess fingers will soon start to ache if playing for a longer time.

Summary: nothing revolutionary but the next step in the evolution from those players.

[edit] typos

Don't think it's ARM based - but certainly similar technology. As far as I can tell they have similar performance mhz for mhz.

Vilmos said:
You do realize this is an audio/video player right? I mean sure it plays games, but that isn't its purpose. Personally having an fm transmitter in the mp3 player would be handy.

uh huh and I bet having XM satellite radio would be preferable in your case right?

personally you can take your FM and you know where you can put it.

yea its an audio/video player that only knows how to do that. Personally the cowon d2 or cowon x5 would beat this thing hands down in that department. granted the screen is bigger and can handle only a mild set of emus. Still granted I still think this thing is a joke as there are plenty of audio/video players that surpass this one. I mean come on, their own site markets a very similar Ipod touch model which pretty much outperforms it on every level possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
garzyboi said:
Vilmos said:

uh huh and I bet having XM satellite radio would be preferable in your case right?

personally you can take your FM and you know where you can put it.

yea its an audio/video player that only knows how to do that. Personally the cowon d2 or cowon x5 would beat this thing hands down in that department. granted the screen is bigger and can handle only a mild set of emus. Still granted I still think this thing is a joke as there are plenty of audio/video players that surpass this one. I mean come on, their own site markets a very similar Ipod touch model which pretty much outperforms it on every level possible...

Nope, you are wrong, I don't care at all about XM Satellite radio. But what does it matter arguing with you since you are clearly an ass.

garzyboi said:
Couldn't agree more. See, the more technology moves forward, the more affordable decent specs will be. That doesn't mean these keychain devices will be any good though. Love :gp2x

Alex. said:
garzyboi said:
Couldn't agree more. See, the more technology moves forward, the more affordable decent specs will be. That doesn't mean these keychain devices will be any good though. Love :gp2x

nice fullspeed neo geo muh better then the gp2x

predatorramboxxx said:
Alex. said:
garzyboi said:

Err apart from the fact the GP2X runs neogeo full speed and is now even dual core?

I've had a look at some of these in the past year, and we have spoken about them before, I've not yet seen one which offers more than the GP2X, I would stock the one which did. They are catching up with the GP2X though, it's surprising there isn't a GP2X clone... the SOC is around $10 now.

The only real advantages this machine has over the GP2X is a sleeker design a nicer screen.

GP2X can play all those systems just as well, with the exception of SNES. GBA isn't always perfect on the 2X, but it doesn't sound too good on the JXD 301 either.

The machine looks like it's being marketed as more of a PMP than a gaming device. If another machine came out that was as developer/homebrew friendly as the GP2X, then we'd have competition.

L and R are missing and I don't know if it's open source or what. Anyways, I don't believe I would buy it unless it became a real hit, which is very unlikely. I'm just scared it wouldn't get the kind of support other handhelds have. I'm waiting for the mildly good DOSBox machine, which is going to be at least a years wait (cough crai******).

predatorramboxxx said:
Huh? NeoGeo looked pretty frameskippy on that thing to me. It is much more fluid on the GP2X. It is only MONO too as there is only one speaker. The screen looks decent but it is 1/2" smaller like a DS or Giz. It seems the screen technology is an LCD with the driver chips integrated on the screen itself for low cost.

I am suprised too the Chinese haven't cloned the GP2X. Everything is off of the shelf and the OS is open source, would be REALLY easy to copy. They could probably sell them for $120 USD or less.

Back