1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Jun 10, 2017.

1. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

It's probably going to be like one of these WIN 10 PC Tv Boxes. http://www.geekbuyin...old-376779.html

They range from $80 to $200 depending on the chip set they use, ie from Cherry Trail, Apollo Lake etc. Who knows, maybe they will go with an AMD chip like the Smach Z - or maybe go a bit more expensive and use a Core M3

No cart slots except maybe a SD slot, with SW being mostly downloaded.

It begs the question then whether PC games will run on it as they do on WIN 10 PC TV Boxes. Or will they lock it down with their own store .

I imagine they got the idea after seeing these WIN 10 TV boxes or tablets playing games, or the success of the GPD WIN in it's ability to play PC games.

2. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

If it's just another WIN 10 PC Tv Box than I don't see it as a console even if I would have tried to put Linux on it if it was another AMD powered console running an Atari OS.

3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

If it were running Atari OS it wouldn't be a Win10 box, so I don't quite understand what you're saying there.

4. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

2 statements, 1) Win box isn't a console to me, 2) if it's something like the PS4 I'd end up trying to put Linux on it.

5. vcoleiro1

My comment was to do with what the HW would be , ie similiar if not a straight drop in of one of those PC TV Boxes HW. As for the OS etc, who knows.. Could be they put in there own OS, or build a store in another OS like WIN 10. I still call the Shield TV a console and thats basically pure Android. Or they can do an Ouya and build somehting on top of the OS. Who knows.

Again though, I'm really just guessing the HW in my comment previously. That is to say, I think they will get a slighly modified PC TV box board from one of the many chinese manufacturers and use that

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Ah okay, I'd not been keeping up with the PS4 linux hacks. That's interesting stuff for sure, but to me pretty much indicates it's not a good target for running linux on - the CPUs are back a few years in terms of speed, and while it has a chunk of RAM (unlike previous consoles) it's organised rather strangely. I note the linux port is stuck at 4.9 for the time being, but hearing about the trouble he had updating to that, I can understand why the hacker's not on 4.11 yet. I can't think of any kernel holes in 4.9/4.10 off the top of my head, but I'm not a fan of being on an old unpatched kernel for any significant length of time personally.

7. JDTAY

JDTAY Still Fresh

Well, I'm still playing the guessing game along with others at the AtariAge forums. Kinda got bored, so I made an AtariBox theme song:

Ataribox,
    It really rocks!
    Ataribox,
    It doesn't suck!
    Atariiiiiiibox!

...Yeah, um, it's a work in progress.

levi and blimpsgo180 like this.
  8. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

If it is a real console it needs to come with E.T. or a modern movie based game that is poorly executed.

9. vcoleiro1

10. Jumpman

Jumpman Advanced Member

Mmmmmm, this should be interesting to say the least. If true, I'll take a look and see how far along this is, and if this is a legit venture, or if it's just a way to get a shit ton of money and never deliver anything. The more info that comes along, makes me less interested each time.

Chris