New Accessory: External buttons for MP3 control

Would you buy one?

• Total voters

Nardella

I want to use my Open Pandora as an MP3 player, the problem is I like to be able to control my MP3 player without having to open up a clamshell or even taking it out of my pocket.

There are a few possible solutions for this, I have two to present to you.

Clip On:

This one is pretty self explanatory, I believe that pass through for obscured connectors are unnecessary as they would not be used while in your pocket. This option would be significantly more expensive.

Final.jpg

Cabled (inline or seprate):

I could either put the headphones inline (slightly more expensive but allows better functionality (more buttons, better/easier volume and mute)) or on a cable separate from your headphones.

Example.jpg

The buttons could be programmed to do just about anything!

I like that the headphones could be hooked to the control box instead of the long edge of the Pandora (lower profile in pocket).

I'd prefer a clip-on myself, so that it would be one snug piece.

I like controls like that, like on nokia xpressmusic phones :)

I want to use mine as an mp3 player too (with bluetooth headset), and this would be a nice feature, so I can control it from my pocket instead of whipping it out^^

I guess I would pay 25-30-ish euros for something like this.

Nokia-xpressmusic-5310-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluetooth remote? It'd probably kill the battery on the Pandora though, but I imagine cheaper as they are commercially available already.

there is a lot of bluetooth device that does exactly that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016KJQDK/ref=asc_df_B0016KJQDK1561859/?tag=nextagus0012051-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0016KJQDK&linkCode=asn

is one example. i have a cheap knockoff thingy of that type (unable to track it down since i bought it in a small shop like 4 years ago XD), but it work on the pandy. the play/next/volume buttons act as media key keyboard as far as linux is concerned. so they work pretty much out of the box (need to set them in your hotkey for your player). otherwise, it got an audio jack in it so i can pretty much have the headphone plugged in on a little bluetooth receiver cliped on my shirt, with the pandy in my pocket.

only problem with it really, is the battery XD. it used to live 6-7hours of playtime, but well, its old and battery is dieing, so now if it last 4 hours im happy.

just so you know, the pandora is only <3000 users atm, this isnt exactly a smart business to go into atm

I use left shoulder button as play/pause plus the hardware volume control. That's all I need.

RE: Bluetooth Remote

Please let me know if you get one working on a Pandora at a reasonable price.

RE: Small Market

I'm a small producer, may not even order PCBs (aside from some TinyBoBs) this is fun for me, and I might get some cash out of the job.

RE: L R buttons

They don't get triggered in your pocket?

I have already ordered 10 connectors from WizardStan, I am going to build at least one for myself, if I can build more for other people, make them happy and make some cash that would be great!

Don't get me wrong it's a nice idea.

I think you'd have more success with an inline control (it bugs the hell out of me taking my phone out to change track/pause, etc), any idea on how big it would be if you went ahead with that? Apple hit the nail on the head with the click system which meant the form factor could be tiny.

Also on the mock up, you could make play and pause the same button and probably get rid of record, but that'd be me.

I have already ordered 10 connectors from WizardStan, I am going to build at least one for myself, if I can build more for other people, make them happy and make some cash that would be great!

Just go for it! After you built it, if it's good enough, there will be people that want it. That simple usually.

But as stated above, don't expect this to be the big breakthrough with so few Pandora's in the wild ;)

Also very curious about how you are going to connect the control buttons, i'm working on something that could use some pandora interaction.

Good luck, and Cheers!

RE: Size of inline remote

Worst case dimensions (with ALL features) is the following:

27mm X 50mm X 12mm or

27mm x 40mm x 18mm

There is LOTS of space to be saved through optimizations in design and smaller parts but I wont promise anything better than this till I know.

RE: Button Labels

The clip on would have 6 buttons, which happens to be more than I know what to do with :p .

RE: Inline vs Clip On

It seems that designing and producing an inline version would be better in just about every way. For those that want a clip on I could sell a version with a short cable and some simple way of attaching to the Pandora (so many options, secure to USB port, Velcro)

For those interested in a clip on how does this sound?

RE: Control Interface

I would use the ground pin along with three of the multipurpose pins. When a button is pressed one of the following pin combinations is connected to ground.

1, 12, 13, 2, 23, 3

Here is a circuit diagram:

Pandora MediaBox.jpg

The inline is my favorite so far, but if you did the clip on via USB, could you make the buttons usable for an emulator for example?

I don't know much about USB micro controllers or any of that jazz, just thought a clip on could also double as L2 and R2 for PCSX ReARMed or something?

No idea if that'd be doable but I thought I'd throw it in there.

RE: L2 R2

It should be possible, once I get my Pandora (less than 2 weeks) I will investigate this (need to know how it feels and build a proper 3d model. The L2 and R2 would probably be a separate product entirely.

RE: L2 R2

It should be possible, once I get my Pandora (less than 2 weeks) I will investigate this (need to know how it feels and build a proper 3d model. The L2 and R2 would probably be a separate product entirely.
I plan on making my own L2/R2 adaptor using an old USB keyboard, if it goes well I'll post an instructable or something.

Skip track is a must, that would be the main reason i would purchase one.

I second this, and i also second my suggestion, to make it work as a global keyboard shortcut. If you map F9 to skip tracks, it will work, even if window is not on top
I'll third it and the option for global keyboard shortcut if possible :)

Back