Nethack?

Should I make a PND of this?

• Total voters

mawler

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7985/nethack.png

Debian armel packages and dpkg on the pandora are much more workable than you think...

YES! What are you wating for? :huh:
I would waste houndreds of hours with this on my Pandora. Maybe i would even ascend in a few years!

I also prefer a package manager, but I see no reason not to make a pnd for ease of use.
1 file to play the game couldn't really be any more intuitive.

Is it a game, or is it real?

I did an andband port awhioe back. Probably going to do DCSS soon
We definately need a nethack.. I took a look and it needs a new makefile but otherwise is not a har port

If theres some ipkgs already g'head, but be mindful to redirect save files to appdata on SD

Sorry, on my phone.. But anything to do with nh is win :)

Jeffphone

Package managers are always good btw.. No one has any hate for them. The trick is packaging apps so theyre single file, write to appdata on sd, no dependancies, auto recognized etc, work with removable media. Many packages and managers dont handle well by default

As long as you package things up or wrap in a pnd or whatever so that it works as user expects, who cares how the user gets it :)

Jeffphone

Yes, obviously. :)

But also don't forget about Moria, my favorite roguelike. I was porting moria, nethack, and friends back in the dinosaur era of *nix boxen with 16 Mhz CPUs with 16 Mb of RAM. If I ever receive my Pandora, I will surely port it.

I trying to compile nethack and crawl too, learning how to deal with the errors they give.

I think it would be a good idea the one that makes a pnd of crawl setups a dialog that asks the user whether he wants to run an online version of the game, in one of the 3 official servers, or play offline. What do you think?

BTW crawl with tiles in the pandora would be sweet, but it would need further work.

Gruntfuggly said:
I'd be happy with a basic Rogue port...
Epyx Rogue 1.49 (DOS) is the basic version of Rogue that I play and recommend, it runs excellent in DosBox.

The Rogue Archive

Rogue Instruction Manual 1985 EPYX, Inc.

blogentry-1196-125262322375.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That rogue... it just... eew. I thought Rogue was supposed to be ASCII. Anyway, why not get Rogue here? That's the last version of Rogue by its original authors, I think (plus a few bugfixes added later). If it were me, I'd build it from the source there, so I wouldn't need to start an emulator before starting that simple text-based game. the best game ever!

Rogue and rogue-likes are for everything :)

Theres a Rogue for the St/Amiga (and everything), and various others; one can even run ST or Amiga versions of nethack in those emus etc.

Lets keep the thread about native roguelikes though ;)

jeff

Ratfink said:
That rogue... it just... eew. I thought Rogue was supposed to be ASCII.
Technically it is. Extended ASCII is still ASCII, sort of :p

I cant even tell you how much time I spent playing The Dungeons of Moria (Amiga version) in my younger years. Its actually one of my favorite games of all time since it inspired me in so many ways.

Just do it already. Preferably before I get my Pandora so I can play it right off the bat.

drD20 said:
YES! What are you wating for? :huh:
I would waste houndreds of hours with this on my Pandora. Maybe i would even ascend in a few years!
There isn't really waiting per se in that the arrow keys don't work.

However I fixed that with some xterm translations ;) I just need to package it up now.

I've tried it once onto the GP2X and I hmust say it's not my kind of game. Worst thing on nethack is that you basicl only have one (ONE!!!!) life. :( If you die, you have to start from the beginning, not even save/reload works afaik so I see no motivation in this game. Especialy if you not even know exactly what you actualy have to do in this game. ;)

Maybe this is the main "thing" in the whole concept of this game but sadly not my thing. ^^"" Idea is great but a more user and beginner friendly Version of this type of Game and I would give it a new try.

WizardStan said:
Ratfink said:
That rogue... it just... eew. I thought Rogue was supposed to be ASCII.
Technically it is. Extended ASCII is still ASCII, sort of :p
The Rogue Picture I linked above is actually Epyx Rogue running in 40 Column mode using the Rogue40 utility found HERE.

blogentry-1196-125262322375.gif

This 40 Column version is new to me. The rooms are smaller so it plays through faster.

The normal 80 column Rogue screen looks like this:

Rogue_Screen_Shot_CAR.PNG

The Epyx version was also done by the original authors. This is the version I remeber playing the most.
Sure the "graphics" (character-set) are a little bit fancier in DOS but it is essentially the same game.
The beauty of Rogue is its deceptive simplicity. Easy to learn and nearly impossble to master.

On topic:
While I find these modern Rogue-likes to be overly complicated I will probably give Nethack a try.

@fusion_power Having only one-life is a part the whole Rogue-like experience.
In Rogue there is nothing like the genuine fear you feel when your health is low and a D (or another baddie) is approaching.
There is a save feature but your save file gets deleted once you load it.
Saving your way through the game (save scumming) is generally frowned upon.
The fear of permanent death is a part of the game.

I suggest you try one of the basic Rogue versions for a more simpler play.

Back