Nethack?

If you can get the hardware scaling to work, I recommend you try doing Vulture's Eye. I've been at this for months, but I'm extremely new to cross compiling. Failing that, there's AllegroHack. You'd have to build a new interface for the latter though, but the good part is it would feel more nethacky.

It's good to see someone else brave enough to give this ago. I'm going bald trying to get it to work.

Allan.

Shame I don't have more free time; I've got a roguelike concept I could conceivably put together in Pygame pretty quickly. It wouldn't be as deep as Nethack. Maybe one day in the future.

Wouldn't it be nightmarishly difficult to write a RDG (Random Dungeon Generator) in python?

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Mar 24 2006 at 10:27 PM said:
Wouldn't it be nightmarishly difficult to write a RDG (Random Dungeon Generator) in python?

No, why? It'd work the exact same as C -- it's still a Turing complete language and so is roughly equivalent. :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have begun an in-depth study of hte code and have a rough idea of what I want to do to it. I have compiled one version of it, but not for the gp2x. This is a pretty massive bunch of stuff, so it'll take a while. I had no idea how deep and rich a game this is. Anybody else working on this project should probably keep at it; maybe one of us will succeed :)

I'll post an update when I have something significant to report, but don't expect one for a couple weeks.

Dzz posted on Mar 26 2006 at 12:45 PM said:
Well, I have begun an in-depth study of hte code and have a rough idea of what I want to do to it. I have compiled one version of it, but not for the gp2x. This is a pretty massive bunch of stuff, so it'll take a while. I had no idea how deep and rich a game this is. Anybody else working on this project should probably keep at it; maybe one of us will succeed :)

I'll post an update when I have something significant to report, but don't expect one for a couple weeks.

Which version are you tinkering around with?

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Mar 27 2006 at 08:44 AM said:
Which version are you tinkering around with?

Allan.
I'm working from the 3.4.3 source on www.nethack.org.

I made some decent progress this weekend; I don't have any doubt now that I'll get it working, it will just take a while to do it the way I want.

Sure is some awkward stuff in there, isn't there?

What sort of interface are you going for? I was originally trying to port VE so I didn't have to make an interface.

Allan.

Muncher666 posted on Mar 27 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
Sure is some awkward stuff in there, isn't there?

What sort of interface are you going for? I was originally trying to port VE so I didn't have to make an interface.

Allan.
Yeah, it took me a while to wrap my mind around the way the code works. Plus the thing has been growing for 20 years so by now there are about 200 different ifdefs.

I have a pretty clear idea of the interface I want to implement, but I'm not sure I can actually achieve it as I imagine it, so I'll just keep it to myself for the moment. Nothing earth-shattering. Besides, no matter what interface is used people will complain about it so I'll only be discouraged if people start complaining before I even start building it :)

If you're still working on your port you should keep going (if you're having fun with it), that way people can play whichever one they like better.

Ravnos posted on Mar 27 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
I know it's technically Rogue and not Nethack, but you may be able to find some ideas from the GBA version of Rogue. You can find it here, and its source can be found here.
That is similar in spirit to what I have planned.

Dzz posted on Mar 28 2006 at 09:37 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Mar 27 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
I know it's technically Rogue and not Nethack, but you may be able to find some ideas from the GBA version of Rogue. You can find it here, and its source can be found here.
That is similar in spirit to what I have planned.

If that's the sort of thing you're planning, then I'm an extremely happy camper anyway. To be honest, after trying and failing I've decided that a Nethack port is fairly far away from what I can accomplish with my limited skills.

Allan.

nethack would be lotsa fun, but a nice interface would be very much appreciated... maybe one that produces graphics similar to zelda type games on the gbc. that would be graphical enough for me :D I always disliked nethack in ascii mode...

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 28 2006 at 11:40 AM said:
nethack would be lotsa fun, but a nice interface would be very much appreciated... maybe one that produces graphics similar to zelda type games on the gbc. that would be graphical enough for me :D I always disliked nethack in ascii mode...
Have you ever used Nethack in tiles mode? That's the one I prefer these days ;)

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 29 2006 at 03:40 AM said:

But.. but.. ascii nethack is REAL nethack. :)

Although I have visions of people making animated, high quality animated tiles (or a full blown 3d animated gui, if you prefer) to go over the top of Nethack, sorta with a Diablo look - and the characters/monsters would have idling animations so that everything looked right pretty like. There is a problem with this though, every commercial hack and slash game would go out of business. :)

The Vulture's Eye 2 project branch hopes to add animated tile functionality. I can't freaking wait, I don't care if it needs a dual core xeon to run, I'll buy it just to play VE2 on till I get bored and go back to ascii nethack.

You know, there's something beautiful about buying horribly expensive hardware and then playing something like Nethack in ASCII mode on it.

Allan.

i prefer ascii nethack (more of the retro style i say B) )

anyway i'd like to see how this goes as the nethack ver i'd want to play is:

DoomRL

its quite fun...although standing next to barrels while monsters are in the room isn't recommended :unsure:

he's not released the source code....but i can wait!

Even if you did, though, the source is written in Pascal with his own custom made library, so you'd have to port the library first, and I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to cross compile pascal stuff.

If it's easy though, I might try porting Snarfs. :)

Allan.

A quick report: I am making good progress, but doing the project the way I want is a nontrivial task. I see sometimes that people do a port of something that's done so quickly that the result is not always particularly useful; I'm trying to avoid that by putting in the extra effort to hopefully make the result worth playing.

Anyway, here are a couple screenshots to demonstrate that things are moving along:

nh1.png

This is the name selection dialog. It gives a shortcut to the most recently used name or allows you to enter a new one. Although the mechanics for entering the new name is pretty good, it's still kind of a pain in the butt to enter text, so I hope to always have a reasonable default choice for all situations that is a single button press.

nh2.png

Part of the character creation process.

nh3.png

A view of the map. So far I can sort of walk around, but not do anything.

These screenshots make it look like the game is almost ready to go, but actually there is still a LOT to do before it is even playable. However, it will certainly get there. If I had to guess, I'd say two weeks for the 0.1 first playable test release.

Back