Nethack?

If we make a collection pool, do you think we could bribe one of the devs into helping us port this? I could probably get the NeWT port to compile after a few months of work (i'm really quite new to c++) but I highly doubt I could get anywhere with implementing menus. I'd shell out 20 for a start.

Allan.

If anyone wants to port something NetHacky, note Falcon's Eye, a graphical mouse-driven front-end for NetHack.

For all versions:
* 386 or greater (Pentium recommended)
* Display card capable of 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
* Mouse

Can the GP2X handle that much scaling without dedicating all the CPU clock power behind it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants to port something NetHacky, note Falcon's Eye, a graphical mouse-driven front-end for NetHack.

For all versions:
* 386 or greater (Pentium recommended)
* Display card capable of 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
* Mouse

Can the GP2X handle that much scaling without dedicating all the CPU clock power behind it?
The newest version of HW accelerated SDL has HW scaling.

But from 800x600 down to 320x240?

Anyways I did up some quick mock ups in paint as it's the only graphic program I have I can draw with.

First some standard menus...
nhmock1.jpg
nhmock2.jpg

nhmock3.jpg
nhmock4.jpg

These two show a radial menu design, like NWN or whatever.
nhmock5.jpg
nhmock6.jpg

Any thoughts on these?

At least with that sort of alignment, etc, I'd prefer the menu - but I'm not entirely sure if the menu would be quick enough to access. I quite liked the Rogue gp32 menu idea where the icons are at the bottom of the screen, there for the picking.

As for the Falcon's Eye idea, FE has been defunct for years, and I never really took much of a shine to it because I felt the graphics were bad enough that they didn't really enhance the gameplay, more likely hindered it. Nonetheless, it may be one of our easiest avenues - however Vulture's Eye is probably a better goal, as it's FE but much more cleaned up and updated. I'm downloading the source and seeing if I can get the bugger to compile, no promises though, I've never actually tried to compile something that isn't my own code, let alone cross compile something to a different system.

Still, wish me luck, and once my luck is gone maybe somebody can teach me to re-route the mouse cursor to the joystick. :)

Allan.

Scratch that, I've found another Qt based roadblock in Vulture's Eye.

Back to NEwt.

Allan.

From the installation manual for Falcon's Eye:

If you have trouble compiling, or want to change the default settings, read the files README in the top directory and the file Install.unx in the subdirectory sys/unix. Note: even though Install.unx mentions other "window ports" (Gnome, X11, Qt), you don't need to compile them to play NetHack - Falcon's Eye. The default installation includes the Falcon's Eye and tty window ports.

At least with that sort of alignment, etc, I'd prefer the menu - but I'm not entirely sure if the menu would be quick enough to access. I quite liked the Rogue gp32 menu idea where the icons are at the bottom of the screen, there for the picking.
I still prefer menus I'd say, but the radials might prove neat and easy as well. Tough to tell.
Hell, I'd take even a transparent on screen keyboard ;)
As for the Falcon's Eye idea, FE has been defunct for years, and I never really took much of a shine to it because I felt the graphics were bad enough that they didn't really enhance the gameplay, more likely hindered it.
I never liked Falcon's Eye either. I appreciate the work that went into it, but I just didn't like the overall result, and gameplay was definitely hindered by the graphics.

Someday I'd like to see a 3D (non isometric) type of nethack done right :)

True.... Perhaps a combination of the most used icons/commands at the bottom and a menu for the more advanced stuff... I'll throw together a couple things.
nhmock7.jpg

Did this in about 20 minutes, left the most common commands on the menu bar itself, from what I gather about the game, I've never really played, and the menu button itself would open all the rest. Was thinking of having SAVE as one of the main menu options, but ZAP fit better with everything else.

This any better?

Aside from slight niggles about what should be where, I like the way it's set out.

Thanks to ravuya for the smack in the face, I'm doing alright now. I really have absoloutely no idea how to go about the scaling, but the good news is all of the libraries (I think) have gp2x equivalents. I'll have a go at compiling it properly when I get back home. We DO have a libpng, don't we?

Allan.

I just got a message from the creator of Vulture's saying that it actually requires a p4 2.4 to actually get it render in any sort of software mode (using mmx instructions) but much better using any kind of video card acceleration. But basically this means that until I can work out HW acceleration I'd be better off trying to port a straight tty style nethack.

On the up side though, parts of the code compile quite nicely using the HW accelerated SDL. Man, I couldn't have chosen a harder task to start cross compiling with, could I? :)

Please tell me that someone else is also secretly working on a nethack port, my brain is melting.

Allan.

Please tell me that someone else is also secretly working on a nethack port, my brain is melting.

Allan.

I gave porting Moria a shot a while back, then gave up because I was basically rewriting the whole thing due to it's slightly (read horribly) archaic code.

I'm toying with coding an ASCII dungeon style game from scratch now, taking elements from Nethack, Rogue and Moria... My time is at a premium at the minute, but I'll give it a go seeing as there are other people interested :)

Besides, my other project (a port of Snes9x) is looking a little redundant now thanks to Squidge :angry: :D

Please help me with this port Bawb, it sounds like you have the know-how. DarkArtshave done basically all of the SDL conversion for us, it's just going to take tweaking rather than rewriting. I do know of one scary son of a bitch who is trying to re-write it specifically for ARM cores, but he's only about 30% in.. :)

Please help, Bawb!

Allan.

Hello.

Sorry I'm late on the discussion. About the graphics interface, I think there's other good interface for a possible GP2X port, Allegro from AllegroHack and Slash'EM. It's isometric, it's pretty, and it's 320x240. And since Allegro is ported for the GP2X it's direct compilation. The only problem I see is that Allegro is only included in MSDOS Makefile.

It should be easy to port, something like getting the sys/unix/makefile and include win/alleg code (It's been a while since I dived in Nethack code, surely I'm missing lots of things). Of course Newt should be great, too (I haven't seen the code yet, I don't know if it's hard to port).

Hope this can be useful. Keep up the good work, I'm willing to play Nethack on my black brick :)_ Greetings

Some related pages :

AllegroHack
Slash'EM
Allegro for GP2X

Lizardos my man,

I'm trying my best, but this is a son of a bitch of a thing - cross compiling nethack isn't as easy as your average program, as it expects to be on the platform it's compiling to while compiling. Allegrohack seems a good option, but perhaps you could assist me with some serious makefile surgery?

Allan.

Allan, my idol (when you'll get that Nethack thing working)
I'm willing to help you in everything I can, but I'm afraid my C is poor. You have chosen Newt to port, and I think it's a better option than AllegroHack, since the /win/sdl interface is included in /sys/unix. It`s true that a ton of work is "makefile surgery". If I had to do this port, I think I'll:
1) Try to compile Nethack in a PC in Linux or other Unix. (Better a Mac :D ) This means start using makefiles on /sys/unix.
2) Remove all the dependencies for interfaces that aren't SDL pure (tty, ncurses, etc). Try to compile, look where these functions are called and remove them or make workarounds.
3)When you have pure SDL-dependent nethack makefiles, then try to cross-compile it for GP2X.

I've also downloaded PSP Nethack Sources I think it's worth giving it a try, as a basis or an example. The interesting files seems to be /sys/psp/psp_event.c (the main file), /include/winSDL.h (SDL definitions) and the two root makefiles.

And you have also a PM ;)

Greetings, keep up the good work!!

Unless somebody is pretty close to being finished with a NetHack port, I would like to tackle this project. I'm not sure exactly which version to start from, that's the first thing I'll figure out.

Speak now if you want to discourage me. If you want to encourage me, suggest which version you'd most like to see ported and I'll consider starting there.

Back