NES CLASSIC MINI (with 30 built in games)

It does have savestates, but there is no cartridge slot so no action replay. I dont think it has internet connection, its probably very simple item with just a game select menu when you boot it up, speaking about booting up I hope its quick so you dont have to wait a minute or so... If this becomes popular mayby theyll release a SNES style box later. But what they really should do is release their old systems in mini versions were games come on individual replaceable cartridges! Mayby it wouldnt sell to the masses but I bet a lot of collectors would have enjoyed it.

I never owned a NES but I really do want one of these.

Never understood the real value of such things. Why buy it when you already have pandora/other emu consoles, that can play any NES game in existence plus tens of thousands other games.

This is a cool idea, a dedicated console, but small... the best thing could have been to have an entire collection of those, so you can have in a single shelf like 10 consoles with their respective gamepads.

They could have added a mini cart where to put an SD in anyway... but yeah, I think that for Nintendo was just a bold move to put all those games already inside...

Never understood the real value of such things. Why buy it when you already have pandora/other emu consoles, that can play any NES game in existence plus tens of thousands other games.
Apart from the obvious nostalgia and hipster reasons, emulation is seldomly accurate.
A few years ago I played "Zelda: A Link to the Past" on the original system again and some small things were different, bsnes is made because of this and sacrifices performance for accuracy.
Most of the time those differences aren't noticable and don't really change the game, but they are there.
Not having to boot a PC to play is another upside, it isn't enough for me to justify all the downsides though and I don't have any room for consoles here either, the upright Wii standing here is already taking up too much space and everything is crammed because of it.

The SNES is significantly harder to emulate than the NES is though. Nintendo consoles generally had dedicated ASIC logic chips which can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things that still aren't fully understood in some cases, I guess. The ASICs in the NES are simple enough that they're probably better understood, and the whole system is slow enough that provided you know what the ASIC does against specific inputs and states you can emulate that by brute force.

Sega consoles up to the 32X (I think) didn't go so far to obfuscate their behaviour with custom chips, they were more like the home computers of the day in the way they were put together I think.

Unfortunately though, I don't own original NES or SNES hardware so that I can compare emulators against the real thing very easily, so I don't really know how close current emulators are to emulating everything properly.

What about an Analogue NT ? It is not official, but ugly, and hard to get, but still...
I didn't like the look of it, and it wouldn't work very well in my current setup since I would have to put the carts in the top. There was one that I wanted based on improvements, and I think this is it. In the end I stuck with my original one.

Some people don't like emulators. I am one of those people.

I would rather have new official hardware that allows me to play my old cartridges.

Is it okay if that new hardware uses an emulator? What if you can't tell the difference, at least not by only playing the games? NES emulators can get really accurate w/o needing too much CPU grunt.

If the emulators are that accurate I would probably just switch over to a Retrode or something once my NES dies for good, should that ever happen. The Retrode has some other appealing features for me (and the GB plug in is a big one), so if I could use it for NES games, which I don't think is currently possible, it would fill a lot of my gaming needs. Actually, I think NES is the only thing it is lacking for me right now.

So to answer your question, probably. Has ED done anything with the Retro Pi?

If the emulators are that accurate I would probably just switch over to a Retrode or something once my NES dies for good, should that ever happen. The Retrode has some other appealing features for me (and the GB plug in is a big one), so if I could use it for NES games, which I don't think is currently possible, it would fill a lot of my gaming needs. Actually, I think NES is the only thing it is lacking for me right now.

So to answer your question, probably. Has ED done anything with the Retro Pi?
Well someone shared a design for an NES cartridge adapter for the retrode that people could build themselves, but there isn't a commercial version for sale from what I've gathered.

http://www.retrode.org/2014/12/retrode-user-develops-nes-plug-in/

I have no problem doing it myself (if I have the skills and equipment). My info came from ED's shop and Wikipedia, and I haven't looked closely at either in months, thanks. I suspect someone else would be happy for me to get rid of a bunch of my old consoles (not happening yet). I really do need a scanline generator, as my tv is dying, and I would rather use something with a smaller footprint.

What about an Analogue NT ? It is not official, but ugly, and hard to get, but still...

There's also the AVS to be sold by retrousb maybe next month or so, if their product ships and works like they claim.

And there's the HDMI mod by Kevtris, which I've read works well. Bit difficult to install, but you can purchase modded consoles on eBay.

Back