neogeo emulator (fba with capex FE)

By default the Asia S3 BIOS is enabled, see service mode (L+R+SELECT)...

fba_svc_mode_asia_s3.png

You can swap the BIOS ROM files in neogeo.zip.

The ROM file for Asia BIOS is asia-s3.rom, here's some information about the Neo Geo BIOS...

http://www.hardworks.de/neogeo/#q25

These are the file names for the AES BIOSes...

neo-ep.bin AES Japan
neo-epo.bin AES Asia/EuropeSo now, you just have to tweak the neogeo.zip (after you made a backup of it), in order to make FBA load your desired BIOS.

You need to delete the asia-s3.rom file first (renaming did not work for me).

Then you change the name of your preferred BIOS file neo-epo.bin to asia-s3.rom, as shown here...

neogeo_bios_aes.png

That's it. Now your games are running in AES mode...

last_resort_aes_title.pnglast_resort_aes_options.png

You also can use UniBIOS instead. :)

neogeo_bios_unibios.png

That adds some interesting options to your Neo Geo games...

fba_unibios_menu.pngfba_unibios_cheats.png

And the service mode is still working...

fba_svc_unibios_menu.pngfba_svc_unibios_soft_dip.png

The UniBIOS can be downloaded here...

http://unibios.free.fr/download.html

And here are the key combinations...

http://unibios.free.fr/howitworks.html

START+A+B+C works best, since SELECT+START is player 2 start.

It may look complicated, but it's actually pretty easy.

Have fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much for your help, your explanations are very clear and instructive!!!

i just wonder how did you know for the service mode L+R+select, i haven't found any documentation for this emulator.^^

and do you know if it is possible to change the key configuration? (for example to set the B button of the pandora as the B button of the console and not as C button as it is set by default)

and since you seem to master this console, i wanted also to know if it is possible to change the clock of the emulator?^^

i ask that because with the game "tetris the absolute grand master 2" the game seems to be slow: i mean, during the game the chronometer runs very slow. One second for the game represents 2.5 seconds or so in reality.

so in the options i set the fba clocking option to 1000MHz (it was 600mhz by default, and i have the 1ghz pandora version) but nothing changed during the game, the chronometer stays as slow as before, the 1000mhz settings have changed nothing i didn't notice any acceleration of the chronometer during the game.

at any rate thank you, you have been already very helpful.

thank you so much for your help, your explanations are very clear and instructive!!!

i just wonder how did you know for the service mode L+R+select, i haven't found any documentation for this emulator.^^
You're welcome. I've created some emulator fact sheets, where you can see the button mappings...

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,466

and do you know if it is possible to change the key configuration? (for example to set the B button of the pandora as the B button of the console and not as C button as it is set by default)
A GUI to customize keys would be great. Dmitry is currently developing such a feature for the Dingoo A320 OpenDingux version, maybe Dave can adapt this code when it's finished...

https://github.com/dmitrysmagin/fba-a320/commits/master

Or he may just provide a key configuration template (if something like that is already implemented). It also should be able to map the keys separately for individual games. I see this rather important, since Street Fighter needs another key layout than Neo Geo games for instance.

and since you seem to master this console, i wanted also to know if it is possible to change the clock of the emulator?^^

i ask that because with the game "tetris the absolute grand master 2" the game seems to be slow: i mean, during the game the chronometer runs very slow. One second for the game represents 2.5 seconds or so in reality.

so in the options i set the fba clocking option to 1000MHz (it was 600mhz by default, and i have the 1ghz pandora version) but nothing changed during the game, the chronometer stays as slow as before, the 1000mhz settings have changed nothing i didn't notice any acceleration of the chronometer during the game.

at any rate thank you, you have been already very helpful.
Well that Tetris game runs just too slow, even at 1100 MHz. It has an animated 3D background. Most 3D FBA games don't run very good on the Pandora.

Setting the CPU clock works for me, I just have it default to 1100 MHz. You also can check the emulator output file for CPU speed information...

Code:
/tmp/pndrun_fba-dave18.out

Someone (not me) should do a quick wiki page...

I was so frustrated to discover two weeks ago that mame roms can be played through fba...

I posted a question about FBA but here it is again:  Can we enable scanlines effect in FBA?  I like to play with Scanline effect on because it makes the game look much better like you're playing on the old CRT TV.  I know GnGeo has scanlines effect and it looks really nice.  But I couldn't get GnGeo to play Fatal Fury 3, but FBA can (but with no scanlines).

Any help is appreciated.

It is, but it took me a long time to discover it, that's why i was frustrated.

Found an older post about changing the key mapping...
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/6543-final-burn-alpha-ported-to-pandora-faq-in-first-post/page-26#entry132053

Here's an example of a modified default and Street Fighter III (parent ROMs) configuration...

Code:
-------------------------
FBA Pandora Button Config

L          R

Y
   /   \
  A     B
   \   /
     X

--------------
Default Config
--------------

1 = A  [278]
2 = X  [281]
3 = B  [279]
4 = Y  [280]
5 = L  [303]
6 = R  [305]

KEY_UP 273
KEY_DOWN 274
KEY_LEFT 276
KEY_RIGHT 275
KEY_FIRE1 278
KEY_FIRE2 281
KEY_FIRE3 279
KEY_FIRE4 280
KEY_FIRE5 303
KEY_FIRE6 305
KEY_COIN1 306
KEY_START1 308
KEY_PAUSE 112
KEY_QUIT 113

-----------------------
Modified Default Config
-----------------------

1 = X
2 = B
3 = A
4 = Y
5 = L
6 = R

/pandora/appdata/fba-dave18/config/default.kmp

KEY_UP 273
KEY_DOWN 274
KEY_LEFT 276
KEY_RIGHT 275
KEY_FIRE1 281
KEY_FIRE2 279
KEY_FIRE3 278
KEY_FIRE4 280
KEY_FIRE5 303
KEY_FIRE6 305
KEY_COIN1 306
KEY_START1 308
KEY_PAUSE 112
KEY_QUIT 113

Street Fighter III Config

1 = L  [weak punch]
2 = Y  [medium punch]
3 = A  [strong punch]
4 = R  [weak kick]
5 = B  [medium kick]
6 = X  [strong kick]

/pandora/appdata/fba-dave18/config/games/sfiii.kmp
/pandora/appdata/fba-dave18/config/games/sfiii2.kmp
/pandora/appdata/fba-dave18/config/games/sfiii3.kmp

KEY_UP 273
KEY_DOWN 274
KEY_LEFT 276
KEY_RIGHT 275
KEY_FIRE1 303
KEY_FIRE2 280
KEY_FIRE3 278
KEY_FIRE4 305
KEY_FIRE5 279
KEY_FIRE6 281
KEY_COIN1 306
KEY_START1 308
KEY_PAUSE 112
KEY_QUIT 113

Does someone know how to save states in FBA?

I'm really frustrated by now.. I would like to try the instructions in the second post but I can't even access this service mode! L+R + Select simply doesn't work.

I downloaded the emulator from here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=fba.dave18.001&p=1

Installation via PND Manager worked pretty regular but the rest is a mess. I copied all my roms to the appropriate folder, but only some are marked as yellow, the rest in the list is marked as red. Basically, I just want to install bios files, so I can finally start playing.

Does someone know how to save states in FBA?
you can't, AFAIK.

I'm really frustrated by now.. I would like to try the instructions in the second post but I can't even access this service mode! L+R + Select simply doesn't work.

I downloaded the emulator from here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=fba.dave18.001&p=1

Installation via PND Manager worked pretty regular but the rest is a mess. I copied all my roms to the appropriate folder, but only some are marked as yellow, the rest in the list is marked as red. Basically, I just want to install bios files, so I can finally start playing.
you must see in the options the option that only lists the available games. This will display only games you have and not all the list with games you don't have.

and you must have the neogeo.zip file in order to play games.

Back