Need Help Making A Laptop Into A Desktop.

ninjawiz2x

Still Fresh
Hey everyone looking for a mod but the ones I found online seems not to fit my needs, see I want to turn an old dv6000 HP laptop I got 3 years ago into a desktop , the battery is dead, its out of warranty & it has a big heating problem . I personally dont want to part with it since it was a college graduation gift so it has sentimental value . But since other devices has replaced it portability purposes , I want to bring some life into it by turning it into a media machine . I just want something that can turn it into a desktop & that can cool it down using its own AC power source ( not those awful USB laptop coolers) So any help or mods? Thanks

Another thing you could do is replace the thermal goo between the processor and the heat sink. I just rebuilt a dell I8200 with 2.6 PM4 processor which ran extreemly hot. Over the course of years the thermal paste can dry out and in my experience they use cheap stuff to begin with. You can remove the old stuff with a soft cloth (I used a clean coffee filter and rubbing alcohol). I applied High Density Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste (less than 10.00US and worth every penny)and it lowered my operating temps by 20 degees F. :)

I would blow out the fan with compressed air and replacing the paste might help if the CPU is running too hot. If you notice that the case is getting really hot, it might be that the cooling vents and fan have become choked with dust. In any event, once you get the laptop running cooler, I would look into a docking station. See if the laptop has a matching docking station (most name-brand laptops do) and you can put a monitor on the docking station and just slide the laptop in. If it's a port replicator, you might have to use the lcd as the main monitor. A USB KB and mouse should work as long as there is support for it in the bios (most have it- USB over PS/2- a straight usb will work, but only under Windows without support in the bios). That is what I would do.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back