Question About A Laptop

Darkholmme

Still Fresh
I'm thinking of selling my old HP laptop. It's about 4 years old, got it in 2001, it's an HP Pavilion N5430, Maybe 800 Mhz Athlon, 128 MB RAM, 20 Gig HD, dvd-rom that seems to only want to read dvd's, not regular cds, and has a minor fan circulation problem. You think I could actually sell this poor thing, and if so, for how much?

MAybe :huh: :blink: I would buy it because your laptop is newer then mine and probably has more memory (I have a older dell latitude) but I only have like $45.00. so if your really interested... :D :D

dvd-rom that seems to only want to read dvd's, not regular cds
what do you mean by "not regular cds"? will it read cd-r's, music cds, program cds, etc.
and does it have a usb port? how about a built in phone jack, modem or whatever?

I'd offer $75 or something... i dunno...

Last edited by a moderator:
You should see the laptops they sell on eBay. There's a lot of messed up ones.

here's one that is in pretty good condition selling in the high 400's. I'm guessing that one could just buy it a new/used dvd rom also from ebay like this one:

Hp Laptop on Ebay

HP Pavilion N5430 Laptop CD-Rw / DVD Drive

That's what I think... I don't know about the fan circulation problem though. That may drop the price down a bit. Considering that it would probably need to be taken in somewhere to get fixed because I know most people aren't willing to pop open their laptops.
I'm glad I can fix my own computers, the price to repair the damn things is really high like 30 - 50 bucks an hour?

so anyway if you want to get rid of it sell it to one of these guys or put it on eBay at a low price and see how high it goes :)

Now, if it was an old Ibook Clamshell that needed to be fixed up I would buy it from you because for some reason I really want to take a messed up or broken one of those and fix it up...

Good luck selling it if you do.

Thanks for the advice, I might just invest in fixing up the cd-rom, just kinda strange how it can only read dvd's now... then I'll see about it. Maybe I can talk to one of those resellers to get it off my hands, definitely need the money for that new Ibook I'd like to get...

The same thing happened with my Dvd/cd player. I always used it to play cds, then one night I went to watch a dvd and it won't play the dvd but it will play cds.

Its funny how high some really old laptops reach on ebay.

It is difficult to find laptop bargain on ebay imo, as even Pentium 2's and 3's reach hundreds of pounds. For buyers, its probably better to go new considering you'll get a warranty, new battery etc.
But as your a seller, try ebay, you might be surprised at how much you get, espescially with Christmas round the corner.

Its funny how high some really old laptops reach on ebay.

It is difficult to find laptop bargain on ebay imo, as even Pentium 2's and 3's reach hundreds of pounds. For buyers, its probably better to go new considering you'll get a warranty, new battery etc.
But as your a seller, try ebay, you might be surprised at how much you get, espescially with Christmas round the corner.

True, my only hesitation about it is the cd-rom. But I don't want to shell out the extra money to replace it... I'll have to give ebay a shot though, at worse I'll be down about 4 or 5 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back