Need Expert Opinion On 1Tb Freeagent Pro Sata Adapter From Inside Plea

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tiel

Hi, I've decided to pass on my external's 5 year warranty because it worked 1 year perfect, this means it will in the future and I don't use it too much anyway.
I've hardly managed to open the enclosure and I want the SATA HDD inside replaced, because it's full of backup and it's place is in the closet.
The thing is, I want to buy a larger HDD to take it's place inside, a 1.5TB or 2TB seagate preferable but I don't know if it will be supported by the SATA adapter inside. Some friends say it should be possibile 90%, but I can't be sure of that because I've seen on the market separate enclosures with GB or TB limit on the specs.
I've tried this before putting a smaller HDD, but never a larger so I'm afraid that I'll buy for nothing a new HDD that won't work. I don't have a PC, only a laptop so I can't risk having it on my desk doing nothing. I'm out of money to buy another external, because the $ difference between that and internal is pretty big in my country and I also don't have a job anymore.
If anyone know's if this is possibile to support or if anyone out there ever tried this before, even on lower combinations (eg: 750gb hdd on 500gb enclosure) please let me know.
Thank You!

REMOVED EXTERNAL LINK

Tiel Holdstock said:
Hi, I've decided to pass on my external's 5 year warranty because it worked 1 year perfect, this means it will in the future and I don't use it too much anyway.
I've hardly managed to open the enclosure and I want the SATA HDD inside replaced, because it's full of backup and it's place is in the closet.
The thing is, I want to buy a larger HDD to take it's place inside, a 1.5TB or 2TB seagate preferable but I don't know if it will be supported by the SATA adapter inside. Some friends say it should be possibile 90%, but I can't be sure of that because I've seen on the market separate enclosures with GB or TB limit on the specs.
I've tried this before putting a smaller HDD, but never a larger so I'm afraid that I'll buy for nothing a new HDD that won't work. I don't have a PC, only a laptop so I can't risk having it on my desk doing nothing. I'm out of money to buy another external, because the $ difference between that and internal is pretty big in my country and I also don't have a job anymore.
If anyone know's if this is possibile to support or if anyone out there ever tried this before, even on lower combinations (eg: 750gb hdd on 500gb enclosure) please let me know.
Thank You!
Storage Depot Ltd

Unless you can find the specs for your existing enclosure to determine what size drives it will work with the only thing you could do is simply try it out to see how it works.

If you find that you need another external drive enclosure make sure it'll work with that size drive. (or larger for future upgradability)
Luckily prices on full-size HD enclosures have been falling lately, so shop around if you end up having to get another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delete topic, this is only a bit more smarter spammer who wants to post a link to increase their inbound links...

sehs33 said:
Delete topic, this is only a bit more smarter spammer who wants to post a link to increase their inbound links...

Didn't see it. Sorry.
Stupid me trying to be all helpful for my first post. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back