Nand Full

Gruso said:
I think those of us that have maxed it out, have only done so by installing stuff with opkg.
All the more reason to have a check that there's enough space left. It'd be easier to remove a few things so the hotfix can complete than it would be to fill the NAND, have to reflash, and reinstall everything you had before.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Gruso said:
I think those of us that have maxed it out, have only done so by installing stuff with opkg.
All the more reason to have a check that there's enough space left. It'd be easier to remove a few things so the hotfix can complete than it would be to fill the NAND, have to reflash, and reinstall everything you had before.

Yes on my previous unit I did do some OPKG (I think the phonon backend for minitube, curlftpfs, etc) on this unit I didnt do it yet. But I think I would have installed HF4 without blinking on the other and than poof. So a check would be nice.

Stuckie said:
Perhaps I should start trying to stabilise my ExtendUtils stuff - at least for overlays and such things.. installing dev headers and libraries can eat up space like sweeties, and some libraries are utterly gigantic *cough* GTK *cough* ... sorry about that again, Gruso! *hides*
Ha :D My fault really, I'd been recklessly screwing around with opkg before that, and didn't bother checking the remaining space. I've reflashed now and I'm back on the case, hopefully dropping back into the Seq24 thread soon.

Just a tip for anyone interested, if you want to check NAND usage:

Code:
df -h

...something I'm doing habitually now.

@WizardStan Fair call. Something like that wouldn't hurt at all.

skeezix said:
fwiw, can config to change which browser is used for the pnd-documentation, so if you nuke arora you can use another.

Cool. Any clues as to how...?

Hmm, another tweak setting to be included in the tweak settings dialogue which I want to introduce with HF5 :D

Gruso said:
Not watching your Trash can fill it up very quickly. I followed the advice to include a "delete permanently" option in Thunar, but still, using the NAND for deleted files is not only bad design, it can't be good for the NAND either.

I think it should always be delete permanently. Just disable the trash bin. (never understood that function anyway, why do you want to keep something you deleted?)

Well looking at my NAND almost gave me a small heart attack, only ~80MB left on a pandora that I used for 4 days. No OPKG stuff and only very light browsing via chromium.

If you look into the /etc/pandora/conf/desktop config file, you'll see something like:

21 [info]

22 emit_info 1 # 0->no info .desktop; !0->yes to info .desktop

23 dotdesktoppath /usr/share/applications # path for pndnotifyd to spit .desktop files into

24 viewer ../../../usr/bin/arora # sh-script or prog to run. Use wrapper sh if needed.

25 viewer_args # args. <- plus filename will be passed. ie: "-a filename.html"

26 category Documentation # freedesktop standard category to use

The "viewer" and "viewer_args" are the bits in question here. You can also disable the documentation entirely (for .desktop based setups like xfce, no need to disable in mmenu since it takes no space.)

I have thought it might be clever to have the viewer job be a sh-script, which would in turn check the filename extension or mime-type of the target file, and then decide what to do; ie: if pure .txt, could just launch a quick text viewer rather than a full browser (to save time/memory.)

But certainly you coudl alter it.. I have tried a few browsers over time, but we're using Arora right now.

jeff

I also noticed that some of the documentation (in the documention tab of the xcfe menu) just says readme. It a bit hard to see wich game it belongs to than, also quite some seem broken somehow when aurora tries to open it.

yeah, thats the pnd-maker not putting a useful name in the PXML. They have a file called readme.txt, os they just slap 'readme' into the name, not thinking right.

I'm tempted to have libpnd prepend the app-name there, but I really just wish people making pnds would be cluefull with their document naming :) ie: you woudl think they would actually test to see if it works, and in doing so would say 'hey, just saying 'readme' is stupid', so I must conclude some folks never tested their doc links ;)

jeff

skeezix said:
yeah, thats the pnd-maker not putting a useful name in the PXML. They have a file called readme.txt, os they just slap 'readme' into the name, not thinking right.

I'm tempted to have libpnd prepend the app-name there, but I really just wish people making pnds would be cluefull with their document naming :) ie: you woudl think they would actually test to see if it works, and in doing so would say 'hey, just saying 'readme' is stupid', so I must conclude some folks never tested their doc links ;)
Can't say I've ever looked at docs in minimenu, so I'm not sure how you do it there, but it would be mighty cool to have the docs in XFCE split into a submenu per app. I even started perusing the pnd_notify sources to see what it'd take but... other projects and all that.

Of course, I generally work around this issue by simply not including any documentation at all ;-P

Bosbeetle said:
Well looking at my NAND almost gave me a small heart attack, only ~80MB left on a pandora that I used for 4 days. No OPKG stuff and only very light browsing via chromium.

Well... that's about as much as a clean installed unit has ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:

Ah okay :D

SteveM said:
skeezix said:

Can't say I've ever looked at docs in minimenu, so I'm not sure how you do it there, but it would be mighty cool to have the docs in XFCE split into a submenu per app. I even started perusing the pnd_notify sources to see what it'd take but... other projects and all that.

Of course, I generally work around this issue by simply not including any documentation at all ;-P

pnd_notify is for inotify code, not the documentation; the documentation stuff is in pnd_desktop IIRC, since it essentially spits out a .desktop if the conf item is set to >0; in minimenu, it doesn't use .desktop and uses the auto-discovery code directly, so it just knows if there is a doc link or not. Essentially, it just spits out a second .desktop (when configed to), with the documentation reference instead of the normal executable. The conf file specifies the category to use.

To change it to a subdir, I imagine theres an xfce setting to control how the categories map to menus; ED built that, so maybe he can let us know..

jeff

EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:

YIKES! I've got 11MB left on my NAND. Not installed any programs to it. I only use PND on SD cards. Any suggestions what I can delete? I'm unfamiliar with linux.

Have you been using a browser that writes its cache or other such things to the NAND? If so, what happens if you clear the cache from within the browser?

Prometheus said:
Have you been using a browser that writes its cache or other such things to the NAND? If so, what happens if you clear the cache from within the browser?

How do I clear cache on Chromium? I am unable to scroll down to the clear browsing data under Options/Personal Stuff/Browsing Data

Back