N64 Emulator Canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Ginrai said:
jellmoo said:
I dunno, I find it a little strange at the amount of people that want a Pandora for N64 emulation when all the docs say that such a thing is a ways off and may not be up to snuff.

Considering all the really cool things that Pandora *can* do, it puzzles me that people are more interested in what it *might* do, or even what it flat out *can't* do.
Because N64 emulation isn't what it "might" do. Playable emulation is a "can" do. It just requires a coder, like all other projects do. Fullspeed emulation of N64 would be the "might".

-God Ginrai

Everything I have read has said that N64 Emulation may be possible, but isn't guaranteed. I am by no means an expert, and I am sure you know better than I. All I can say is what I have read in articles and from the FAQ:

Will Pandora be able to emulate the Nintendo64?

Maybe. The N64 is a difficult system to emulate. It is possible, with much effort, that a N64 emulator could be ported well enough to run some games at playable speed. This will probably not happen any time soon and may not happen at all.

Do I hope that N64 emulation happens? Hell yeah! However, the thing that baffles me is how many people are planning to get a Pandora strictly for N64 emulation, when such a thing has not been confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
conso said:
btw: I would die for a good dreamcast emulator. All my favourite games run on the dreamcast :D But N64? I don't know so many good games for n64, anyway...
Have you ever heard about Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda OOT, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Wave Racer, Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie or Zelda Majora's Mask?

It would be perfect that pandora could emulate the Nintendo Sixtifoooooooour. Lots of kids would be very happy.

Schprlock said:
Since Project64 runs better on my 1.6 Atom MSI wind than ePSX does (although none of them is perfect), I'd say that it might not be impossible on the Pandora, after having seen the videos of the PSX emu.
Then again, the N64 might have some "properties" that make it easier to emulate on the wind than on the Pandora...
Anyway, I too hope that it will be possible. But I also agree that we should focus on thing that are know to be possible for now. I'd rather have perfect psx emulation than jerky N64 for Pandora's launch.
If ePSXe runs worse then I think you're not configuring it well, because it wasn't hard for me to get it to run fullspeed on my Celeron 566@850MHz (Coppermine128) - this is similar to an XBox in power. Project64 of course has an x86 recompiler, anything you'd port would need an ARM compiler to reach acceptable speeds.

That and I think there's no way a Pandora will ever come even close to competitive with a 1.6GHz Atom in performance, but I haven't seen a lot of benchmarks.

KungPhoo said:
The N64 has a FPU, thus you will get into trouble just emulating this in realtime on an ARM machine. I guess you won't have N64 on Pandora.
The A8 also has an FPU. Just because the bulk of the ARM core derivatives don't include the FPU doesn't mean all of them do. ;)

jellmoo said:
Do I hope that N64 emulation happens? Hell yeah! However, the thing that baffles me is how many people are planning to get a Pandora strictly for N64 emulation, when such a thing has not been confirmed.
In this case, it probably won't be the handheld that keeps the emu from happening- it's certainly got the muscle to accomplish it if the coding's done right. Something that the DC emulation story on the Pandora doesn't have behind it. DC MIGHT be possible. It's a theoretical and will take every drop of ingenuity to accomplish it. N64's doable. It'll just take some time.

rmm21 said:
I did check the specifics and, after an exhaustive study of the proprietory data, Gamecube will be possible at 75% full speed with frame buffering set to "grande".
Lol... I think I love you dude. Can everyone please stop taking rmm21s posts for real? He is being sarcastic you morons.

@Mods: Please close this thread... this whole N64 thing has been discussed millions of times and it is becoming fairly annoying.

One side says: It might be possible with the right optimization, the other side claims that they know everything about emulation and processors and that everything will be emulated just fine because it runs on their fucking macbook bladibla.

It should be established that: There is people on these boards who are able to judge if N64 emulation is possible and according to those people it is but will be a very very stony road to get there...
I should also be established already that you cannot compare different cpu architectures by clockspeed or any other specifications.

So why are we still discussing this? I think if this goes on like this and devs have to explain over and over again that just because N64 apparently runs on some guys 233mhz Intel notebook it won't "just" run on the Pandora aswell.

Please go read up on the topic before you post stuff like this, there is as I said millions of threads like this on the board in which the feasibility of an N64 emulator is discussed at length.

Svartalf said:
KungPhoo said:
The N64 has a FPU, thus you will get into trouble just emulating this in realtime on an ARM machine. I guess you won't have N64 on Pandora.
The A8 also has an FPU. Just because the bulk of the ARM core derivatives don't include the FPU doesn't mean all of them do. ;)

Actually, it has two, correct? One is non-pipelined whereas the other is, but they can't work in parallel.

Thanks NEON :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back