Gp2x F-200 Connectivity

olly_urz

Still Fresh
Hi all im completely new to this so dont know if im bein stupid

but my gp2x f200 doesnt seem to connect properly to my pc

i have my sd card in the card slot the right way round, and thn put the usb cable
into the gp2x and connect to my pc, but it jus reads it as another drive and if you
click on it, it asks you to insert a disk.

ive tried using my sd card in my fone and it works there
but doesnt seem to pick up in my gp2x

any advice or help tht can be givin would be great

happy christmas

olly :S

The PC picking it up as "just another drive" is entirely normal

See multiple threads on this subject or, preferably, the wiki.

In short: there are no advanced USB functions on the F200... just the card reader.

As for your card no being readable... what file system is it formated in?

I would try to backup my card somehow and have windows format it in FAT format... otherwise windows will not be able to read it natively.

xcen said:
The PC picking it up as "just another drive" is entirely normal

See multiple threads on this subject or, preferably, the wiki.

In short: there are no advanced USB functions on the F200... just the card reader.
As for your card no being readable... what file system is it formated in?

I would try to backup my card somehow and have windows format it in FAT format... otherwise windows will not be able to read it natively.

so its normal for it to do this ?

if i use a card reader

what format and file archieves should the roms n emulators be in ? for example pocketsnes??

thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot be sure what is going on, but it could be that your card is not in a file format that windows can recognize, as I said before.

so we're not talking about specific files or applications, but the format used by the whole card.

Where did you get the card,. what's on it and how did you put stuff on it?

xcen said:
I cannot be sure what is going on, but it could be that your card is not in a file format that windows can recognize, as I said before.

so we're not talking about specific files or applications, but the format used by the whole card.

Where did you get the card,. what's on it and how did you put stuff on it?
i got the card from play.com its a SanDisk Ultra II, i have tried to get the alex kidd2x and the pocketSnes to run on it, but was transferin it via my mobile as i need to purchase a card reader today

what format does windows recognise? and what does the gp2x need?

Windows recognize 2 formats fat 16 and 32.
When you insert one side of the usb into pc and other into gp2x it detects, it automatically it should show another drive called removeable disk, does it do that.

don't use your phone... it probably formats the card in a file system that it recognizes, that linux recognizes, but that windows have not clue about...

here is what I suggest:

plug your GP2X in your windows box using USB, it will recognize it as a card reader instantly without the need for drivers

it will then say that the card is not readable or that there is nothing on it

format it using the fat32 format

put stuff on it

then safely remove the usb device from the system tray, and reboot your f200

that should do the trick

xcen said:
don't use your phone... it probably formats the card in a file system that it recognizes, that linux recognizes, but that windows have not clue about...

here is what I suggest:

plug your GP2X in your windows box using USB, it will recognize it as a card reader instantly without the need for drivers

it will then say that the card is not readable or that there is nothing on it

format it using the fat32 format

put stuff on it

then safely remove the usb device from the system tray, and reboot your f200

that should do the trick
when i connect my gp2x it says usb connected and windows sees it but as hagvin no memory what so ever

shall i reformat the card?

thsank you so much for the help btw

xcen said:
yeah this is the step where you format your card in a filesystem both windows and the GP2X Can read =)
sorry to be a pain and keep askin but what format is tht

thank you so much for helping

FAT32 is the one you want :) Right-click on the drive, select 'Format'.

Just got my gp2x-f200.

If you have an old sd card (or maybe even a new one), it needs to be formated preferably to the fat32 format. If you try to format it from windows xp (and probably vista) through the gp2x connected with a usb cable, windows will errouneously format it as a harddrive (ie putting different 'invisible' stuff and tables on it) instead of as a memory card (which the gp2x expects you to use). The easy way of avoiding problems with this, is to simply use a card reader/writer, put your sd card in it, plug it into windows and format it. Then put it in your gp2x, and the gp2x will automatically create all the folders you 'need' to place music, movies, and games in it.

When you then hook your gp2x up to your computer with the usb cable (I just turn on the gp2x, plug cable in gp2x, then in computer, and sometimes I turn the gp2x on after hooking up the cables), you will see the memory card as a removable drive. Note that when the cable is hooked up correctly, the gp2x will display a blue screen which says 'usb' and has a drawing of an usb cable or something like that. The cd that came with the gp2x has something like 20 puzzle games on it, just dump them in the game folder.

When you feel brave enough, you could get a snes or amiga emulator, you run them just like you do any other game, and then from within the emulator you select the 'special' rom files which are backups of your old snes or amiga games (or any other game system you have in the attic)

Back