My Simple (yet Effective) Joystick Improvement

FastMHz

Still Fresh
Website
www.fastmhz.com
I got my GP2X a couple of days ago and, like others here, found it hard to ensure I was pushing the stick in a particular direction....so what I did was to acetone it a bit to make it perfectly clean, and put 4 teeny blops of hot glue for up, down, left and right. It solved my problem - I no longer accidentally go in the wrong direction and they've held up so far.

hey, this is the smartest mod I have heard of in a while. Maybe I will do this, too. I can get a new cap for my MK1 anyway if I screw it up...

Mine is a MK2...it came with two caps, one says GP2X on it, the other is smaller and has a bump in the middle. I used the smaller one.

FastMHz posted on Jul 9 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
I got my GP2X a couple of days ago and, like others here, found it hard to ensure I was pushing the stick in a particular direction....so what I did was to acetone it a bit to make it perfectly clean, and put 4 teeny blops of hot glue for up, down, left and right. It solved my problem - I no longer accidentally go in the wrong direction and they've held up so far.
What the hell are you talking about? Please post pictures. They will be very appreciated. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
whiskthecat posted on Jul 9 2006 at 07:30 PM said:
What the hell are you talking about? Please post pictures. They will be very appreciated. :D

He made four bumps on the top of his stick with hot glue.

One bump for each direction.

They help him "feel" which way is up.

nubie posted on Jul 10 2006 at 05:20 AM said:
whiskthecat posted on Jul 9 2006 at 07:30 PM said:

He made four bumps on the top of his stick with hot glue.

One bump for each direction.

They help him "feel" which way is up.
aha, I was thinking something entirely else :p

For people who didn't get it...
98u8cj.jpg

;)

Along similar lines you could put a dab of silicone gel on the cap, cover it with clingfilm and push your thumb into it making an exact mold of your thumb and then remove the cling film when the silicone has set, about 24 hours later. You wouldn't have to leave your thumb there for 24 hours though.

It would have a pretty decent grip too with the friction of the silicone, unfortunatly i only have 'no more nails' but I think you can even get black silicone at hardware shops for roofing or some such thing. Guess a trip to Bunnings is in order

Cheers for the concept might just have to give it a go until the Ngage controller is released

Mark

edit:spelling

its "silicone"

Silicon is used to make electronics pcbs.

Silicone is used in fake tits, lubrication, cooking spray, some adhesives, and a multitude of other things.

FastMHz posted on Jul 10 2006 at 03:31 AM said:
Mine is a MK2...it came with two caps, one says GP2X on it, the other is smaller and has a bump in the middle. I used the smaller one.

The smaller controler is afaik the original (and this said 'wrong' one). Use the one with 'gp2x' on it for better control.

I did try the one with GP2X on it and didn't like it at all...the diagonal raised GP2X lettering just messed me up even more. Anyway the glue has survived another day of playing so it seems durable enough. The secret, whether you use silicone or hot glue, is to ensure the cap is absolutely clean, or whatever you stick on will fall off in short order.

Does anyone still want an actual photo of what I did or did the other picture posted clarify it?

FlowNeppets posted on Jul 10 2006 at 05:09 PM said:
FastMHz posted on Jul 10 2006 at 03:31 AM said:

The smaller controler is afaik the original (and this said 'wrong' one). Use the one with 'gp2x' on it for better control.
AFAIK they're both new, there's a new cap with the MK2, and Craig throws in the "GP2X" one as well.
(Actually I thought he was replacing them with his new cap, but obviously not)

If you plan on doing this, be very careful with acetone! I don't know what the gp2x case is made of but acetone has a bad habit of melting plastics.

Mine came with a cap with GP2X written on already attached, no other caps. About half an hour ago I was putting new batteries in so the GP2X was upside down.. it was then I noticed that the cap was lying on the floor! Is it supposed to come off that easily? It wont stay on at all.. :)

FastMHz posted on Jul 9 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
This is simple, but brilliant. I'm going to try it as well.

FastMHz, you should be given "Guru" status for this! :lol:

Sounds good, but my cap rotates too much, so it will probaly mess me up more than help me.

Back