The Bomb Joystick Fix

second exodous posted on Mar 7 2006 at 08:04 PM said:
I got some black balloons last night and tried your method. Just wrapping them around the base and piercing it with the metal pin made the cap a diamond shape so the rubber hit sides. This was only the case on the left side, my sick is leaning slightly more to the left, so I guess if you sick was perfect then this would matter.

What I ended up doing was cutting 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square, then making slits in the corners, then attaching the holes on the part that goes on the metal pin so the shape of the cap wasn't changed. I know it's confusing, tonight I'll post some pics of how I did it. I couldn't cut a perfect square as I'm terrible with small shapes and scissors so I got an X-Acto knife with a rounded blade and 'rocked' around a cube that was 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Anyway, I'll post pics of my method in case anyone is interested.

However, the differ is AMAZING (bolded, italiced, underlined, etc. for emphases). There is no more slipping and I have much better control over stick.

It cost me 97 cents for the balloon and if you're skilled enough/don't care how it looks then you can just use scissors and make the slits/holes with a knife rather than getting a X-Acto knife.

Thanx,
Stan

Sounds good. Piccys of it would be nice mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Knoxximus posted on Mar 8 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
Just a thought.....what about stretching out one of those headphone "earbud" covers, you know, the little black foam coverings that go over the earbud that you put in your ears, onto the stock joystick? That might work pretty good and look pretty decent too. :)

Funny you should ask that, because that's what I actually did. Dabbed a little Krazy Glue at the sides and top of the cap and put it on. I'm guessing it's not as good as DaveC's replacement, but it's quite better than the regular stock cap.

Krazy Glue on the top gives it extra grip. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone a while ago suggested removing the joystick cover from a Nintendo Gamecube controller - the rubber comes off with a little patence (and small screwdriver to pry it off); these caps are designed for lots of grip and use!

Back