My Gp2x, My First Problem(s)

The_HEAD_85

Still Fresh
Hello People,
I have had my GP2X since Monday and the first thing I done to the GP2X (which is firmware 2.00) already is format the NAND (Me, Dumbass :blink: ). So all I was left with is the GP2X licensing File and that’s it. How do I get back all the files that were deleted from formatting? The thing is that the machine still works fine but I don't know if I have deleted important files for compatibility.

This brings me onto problem two. I also bought a 'A-DATA 'My Flash' 4GB 150X SD Card', Which is supposedly compatible with the system isn't recognised, even after formatting in FAT32, which it already was FAT 32 when I first inserted it into my reader. I wish to Re-Flash the firmware two because I believe it replaces the files, which were deleted in the format of the NAND, but because I cannot use the SD Card I bought, I’m stuck.

Please can someone help?

The HEAD 85

(PS: Sorry if this is a repeat of somekind, I couldn't find a post with the same problem!)

I'm pretty sure a similar question was asked before (found it, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...464&hl=nand - but no one answered).

My one only had the license files and payback and vektar demos - all of which I removed after looking through. I don't think you'd have any problems.
As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't affect the OS (hence you can still boot), so you should be fine.

Do you get any errors or messages when you try to use the SD card?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure a similar question was asked before (found it, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...464&hl=nand - but no one answered).

My one only had the license files and payback and vektar demos - all of which I removed after looking through. I don't think you'd have any problems.
As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't affect the OS (hence you can still boot), so you should be fine.

On Windows 2000, which I use at work, The SD Card is compatible with the OS. But when I put the SD card into the GP2X it doesn't even recognise it's there as i placed files on the card and no folder or files shown up in the explorer or the utility area. Therefore it's basically not seeing the card at all, plus it doesn't recognise it thought the USB connection of the GP2X to the computer.

Sorry, there are no errors present.

Don't worry about the NAND, you didn't lose anything important. I wouldn't risk re-flashing just for the demos. Get the free Vektar 1.0 instead (and then buy the commercial version, natch).

That's a strange issue with your card. I have that exact same A-Data card and the problem I had was slightly different, it was recognized by the GP2X but whenever I plugged it to the computer via the USB cable, my Windows XP would say that it was not formatted and only offer to format 1GB of it. I only resolved the issue when I plugged the SD Card to the computer via a card reader: I then formatted it in all its 4GB glory and managed to use it on the 2X right away.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to format it properly though. Did you change the volume name? If so, try formatting it with a blank volume name. I don't know if you changed the allocation unit size, I didn't since in here Windows XP didn't even offer me that possibility. Dunno if Windows 2000 would act differently. The last possibility I can think of is that your card reader is somehow incompatible. The one I used was a Lexar Jumpdrive Trio, if you do a quick search you can probably find posts from other people reporting compatible card readers. Hope this helps.

You'll think that I'm stupid, but at first I thought my gp2x wasn´t recognizing my SD cause I didn't put any file on it.

*stiffles laughter* Oh, well... at least there wasn't an issue with it ;)
Enjoy your GP2X!

On a side note, I've done the same with my NAND; meant to open the SD card and thought the thing had been wiped. So don't feel too stupid

That's a strange issue with your card. I have that exact same A-Data card and the problem I had was slightly different, it was recognized by the GP2X but whenever I plugged it to the computer via the USB cable, my Windows XP would say that it was not formatted and only offer to format 1GB of it. I only resolved the issue when I plugged the SD Card to the computer via a card reader: I then formatted it in all its 4GB glory and managed to use it on the 2X right away.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to format it properly though. Did you change the volume name? If so, try formatting it with a blank volume name. I don't know if you changed the allocation unit size, I didn't since in here Windows XP didn't even offer me that possibility. Dunno if Windows 2000 would act differently. The last possibility I can think of is that your card reader is somehow incompatible. The one I used was a Lexar Jumpdrive Trio, if you do a quick search you can probably find posts from other people reporting compatible card readers. Hope this helps.

I have formatted the A-DATA SD Card in Windows XP and 2000. I have quick formatted and standard formatted. I have tried placing some files on the card to see if the GP2X recognises it but it's blank. Not even an error message it's non-existing. When I have it in XP or 2000 it is recognised instantly. When formatting the only option available is: 3.82GB, FAT32, format or quick format. Can it be the card reader? I don't think so if it is recognised by Windows. What am I to do? Are there any other options?

*stiffles laughter* Oh, well... at least there wasn't an issue with it ;)
Enjoy your GP2X!

On a side note, I've done the same with my NAND; meant to open the SD card and thought the thing had been wiped. So don't feel too stupid

So I'm not alone :D :D :D

"The_HEAD_85" don't worry about the Nand issue, can you get access to another card reader? if so re-format your SD and bung it into the GP2X, hopefully it's just the reader causing probs.

As a side note I once had a card go A-Ball on me, couldn't get XP to see it at all :( actual caused my reader to flash all red LED's, thought i'd blown damm thing up! .
A bit of lateral thinking, and a few drinks later :blink: I inserted it into my Digital Camera, got windoze to see it and Hey Presto formated it FAT32 with XP.

Chances are your cards OK, just try another reader or a suitable interface (Digie Cam/Printer etc...)

Can you please tell me the name of your card reader. I have an integral 8 in 1 card reader USB2. Would a stand alone SD card reader be better to use than the multi-card reader?

That was me that posted that "What should be on the NAND" .. which didn't get answered.
I've learned it doens't matter. Everything works fine with just the License.

(I hit Format, thinking it would format the card .. like cameras format cards for their own uses) but instead wiped the NAND. Remind me to read Korean Translated Instructions sometime.....

anyways..
I'm using that A-Data My Flash 2gig card. On my Mac OSX, I had alot of trouble formatting it to FAT32.
I followed instructions posted to format it via Terminal ... in the end, my card is formatted MS DOS (fat 16)

the only thing on my NAND (FW2.0) is the liscense .. and I haven't had any problems with it.
(mind you, I can't USB the card via GP2X to my G5, but it works fine on my old G4 .. might be a USB 2.0 thing)

(Not like I am directly helping your cause here, but I figured I could tell you my story, in hopes that it relates somewhat).

Can you please tell me the name of your card reader. I have an integral 8 in 1 card reader USB2. Would a stand alone SD card reader be better to use than the multi-card reader?

Make and Model of your readr?

Maybe we can compile a list of problematic readers?.

By the way you might want to read this http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=29537

Back