My Gp2x Is Ordered...

Fiercedeity9

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok, I ordered the GP2X Power Pack off gp2x.co.uk and I was wondering:

1. I take it the people there pre-overclock the GP2X? Is this right?

2. Will my Crucial 2GB SD Card work with the GP2X?

3. Is the Value Pack advertised on the official GP2X website the same as the one that gp2x.co.uk are selling?

EDIT: 4. This GP2X comes preloaded with Linux. What firmware update do I use to update it?

Thanks in advance.

No, all the gp2xen run at 200MHz by default. If you buy a 266MHz one or whatever, it means they've done tests to make sre you can clock to at least this amount. Most programs run fine at 200MHz or lower, so it's best not to overclock unless necessary. Saves batteries!

Almost certainly. The newer firmwares have support for pretty much any type of SD that fits ;)

3. Is the Value Pack advertised on the official GP2X website the same as the one that gp2x.co.uk are selling?

Nope - the gp2x.co.uk 'value pack' is basically a gp2x in a box. - you need to buy accessories separately. The offical value pack contains goodies like a wrist strap and other stuff that I forget. I don't *think* it's available outside Korea yet.

EDIT: 4. This GP2X comes preloaded with Linux. What firmware update do I use to update it?

Well, usually just find the highest number firmware in the archive, and if it's higher than the version on your '2x (it tells you the fw version on startup) then put it on an sd-card, hold start&select and voila, latest firmware :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers! On gp2x.co.uk it says 'The GP2X's come pre-loaded with Linux' so I thought they might be different to a normal '2X

No problem, hope you enjoy your 2x! :D.

The firmware is all linux-based. I guess they just mention that on the site as marketing or somesuch.

As an aside, you'll need decent rechargeable batteries and a charger. I've only just got some after a year of having my 2x, and it makes a HUGE difference compared to alkalines or cheaper recargeables.

just make sure your batteries are NiMH & have a high mAh rating. I've got some Duracell 2050mAh that luckily worked fine, but I just bought some Energizer 2500mAh ones that I'm using now for longer play time :)

Ok, I ordered the GP2X Power Pack off gp2x.co.uk and I was wondering:

Thanks in advance.

in case it wasn't clear, the gp2x allows you to change lots of hardware timing settings in software, including ram timings and the speed of the chips. usually it's as simple as setting the cpu speed in the menu of the game you're playing. so not like pentium OCing or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back