My Fix For The Joystick Screen Pressure Problem.

i would rather send it back and have them do it than void my warranty, seriously, what if your GP2x develops other problems, or has other problems which you THINK can be fixed by firmware, but then you find out cant and cant send it back because you've done this?

Just put the rubber back and don't say anything.

I killed my NDS with a Japanese unofficial Movie Player thingy, and had to send it back to the US to get a replacement. The funny thing was, I told them I was playing a game when it happened, and with my new console I got a letter saying "problem identified, replacement unit sent". Yay.

Warranty voids are just another one of those stupid legal terms they stick on everything so that if you kill yourself when you open a toaster to fix it they cant be held responsible. :ph34r:

In any case I love doing this kind of stuff its loads of fun and another reason why I bought a GP2X over something like a PSP!

Paradox posted on Dec 6 2005 at 10:29 PM said:
Why dont all the people who have the problem send them back for a replacement?....i know that if 1 thing is wrong with mine when i get it its replacement/refund time for me smile.gif

This fix took me about ten minutes, sending it back takes days/weeks and costs money.

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 6 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
"Screen pressure problem"

Could someone describe the symptoms? I dont want to perform any un-necessary surgery on my gp32_console. ;)

^ and yes, I'm aware that there is no GP2X icon ... which reminds me ...

It`s like something is pushing at the lcd at the top center of the screen. Put your finger on a lcd screen near you and you know what it is :D
You know it, if you have it.

Thanks again, it`s working so great, I have my case screwed tightly now,

Quiest posted on Dec 6 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 6 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
"Screen pressure problem"

Could someone describe the symptoms? I dont want to perform any un-necessary surgery on my gp32_console. ;)

^ and yes, I'm aware that there is no GP2X icon ... which reminds me ...

It`s like something is pushing at the lcd at the top center of the screen. Put your finger on a lcd screen near you and you know what it is :D
You know it, if you have it.

Thanks again, it`s working so great, I have my case screwed tightly now,

Ah, I see. Thanks ... :)

There's no way to tell if you've opened it up...I don't see how they would not allow you send it back...and yeah, I didn't want to wait weeks to get mine back...

Cbass182 posted on Dec 6 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
There's no way to tell if you've opened it up...I don't see how they would not allow you send it back...and yeah, I didn't want to wait weeks to get mine back...

Yeah there is. Examine the screw heads for scratches and wear.

But remember that the original "solution" for this was to loosen the screws. Stratches and wear marks on the screw heads would be there, even if you didn't completely open the case.

BBTroll posted on Dec 6 2005 at 09:10 PM said:
But remember that the original "solution" for this was to loosen the screws. Stratches and wear marks on the screw heads would be there, even if you didn't completely open the case.

As long as you can say you were instructed to. :)

Does it say anywhere that if you open your 2x that you void the warranty?

Are there any seals that get broken opening the unit? (Old x86 OEM PC style)

Ninjia^ posted on Dec 6 2005 at 05:40 PM said:
In any case I love doing this kind of stuff its loads of fun and another reason why I bought a GP2X over something like a PSP!

Remember, different niche. A PSP (as hard as it is to admit) has its useful points...

Bleach....

I'm almost done reassembling (removed the headphone/EXT/USB cover flaps, touched up the headphone socket, and lined up the battery LED along with removing the foam square), but I'm seeing one screw that's about 2~3mm longer than the others. Is that normal, and if so, which corner does it go in?

TripHamer posted on Dec 7 2005 at 03:38 AM said:
BBTroll posted on Dec 6 2005 at 09:10 PM said:

As long as you can say you were instructed to. :)

Does it say anywhere that if you open your 2x that you void the warranty?

Yeh it does actually say not to open the unit in the back of manual because doing so will void the warranty. Has loads of other warnings too.

TandeM posted on Dec 7 2005 at 10:01 AM said:
I'm almost done reassembling (removed the headphone/EXT/USB cover flaps, touched up the headphone socket, and lined up the battery LED along with removing the foam square), but I'm seeing one screw that's about 2~3mm longer than the others. Is that normal, and if so, which corner does it go in?

As far as Im aware all the screws were the same length on my unit. I just put them all back in random holes anyway so I think you should be alright

stepp posted on Dec 6 2005 at 11:28 PM said:
Why dont all the people who have the problem send them back for a replacement?....i know that if 1 thing is wrong with mine when i get it its replacement/refund time for me :)
Seriously, you shouldn't get the system, yet, if you are thinking that way.

TandeM posted on Dec 7 2005 at 10:01 AM said:

I found this when I opened my unit once before, just for a general poke-around and to see if there were any obvious problems with the soldering on the USB socket (before I fixed my USB problems another way).

In my case, it goes in the top right-hand corner (looking at the back of the unit).

mangobrain posted on Dec 7 2005 at 07:51 PM said:
I found this when I opened my unit once before, just for a general poke-around and to see if there were any obvious problems with the soldering on the USB socket (before I fixed my USB problems another way).

In my case, it goes in the top right-hand corner (looking at the back of the unit).

Hm.. strange, mine was top-left, looking at the back of the unit.

Back