My Advance Wars Game

name idea: Home Krieg (homebrew + war) or homekrieg

and another vital suggestion: mid-game saves, now i know this may ruin it a bit with people being able to un-do mistakes, but maybe you could have some sort of autosave every move so that if you turned it off or exited, when you hit continue, you would be right where you left off. very handy for quick car rides, and breaks between classes etc.

Linkous said:
... but maybe you could have some sort of autosave every move so that if you turned it off or exited, when you hit continue, you would be right where you left off.
I'll second that. And most importantly of all, when the batteries run out, you don' have to reply everything :)

This game looks pretty good. Twp thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks very cool.

When I developed for my TI-83, my programming group developed a turn-based strategy game called Ground Assault. We thought it was a pretty cool name, and you're welcome to use it if you want :)

Uh, some new News about this Game? ^_^ Everytime when I play Advance Wars I imagine, what could be improved in such a game, this Project here could be the solution. ;)

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of news/updates. Ive been busy with birthday parties, drinking, job hunting, catching up with friends etc. Have found it hard to find time to do any work on the game, and also to get my motivation back again. The project isnt dead and i WILL do some more work on it soonish.

Geuben said:
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of news/updates. Ive been busy with birthday parties, drinking, job hunting, catching up with friends etc. Have found it hard to find time to do any work on the game, and also to get my motivation back again. The project isnt dead and i WILL do some more work on it soonish.
Good, good, I'm really looking forward to this game!

Geuben said:

Just checked back. You've made nice progress. Life does interfere and take priority and I hope you feel motivated to pick the game up again. Good luck with life and the game. :)

any chance of an August release? i've been reduced to trying to (unsuccessfully) decipher snes wars whilst waiting!

mju said:
any chance of an August release? i've been reduced to trying to (unsuccessfully) decipher snes wars whilst waiting!
If you help him coding, maybe? :lol:

It looks, the "game" mainly exists currently only as Alpha, Graphics may be complete but things like AI coding takes an incredible huge ammount of time and skill I think this will be the biggest problem onto this project, remember, even the Advance Wars Series - made by absolute pros (Big N) had a poor AI so if this game is available and good playable, it could take months.
I really would help because I'm playing AW like mad and I know what this type of Game needs but the big problem is: I can't code. :D I know some things about Coding and I have Talent for Game Editors but there is no "AI Editor" sadly. ^_^

mju said:
Not a chance!

Unfortunatly I haven't made any progress on the game, I'm not even sure why either. I didn't manage to get a job this summer so have had loads of free time, but I just haven't done any work on it. I think it may be because while at uni I spend a lot of time in my little room in front of my pc and do more work on it. Whereas at home I've got the whole house to myself and so don't spend much time in front of my pc, that said I haven't exactly done anything else, just watched TV and gone to the pub.

So...dont expect a release anytime soon, I'll try and continue working on the game and if I can get in the mood I could potentially get a lot of work done before going back to uni, if not then progress will prob pick up again when I'm back at uni and have work to be doing :p

Hope that doesnt dissapoint any of you too much.

Geuben

fusion_power said:
mju said:
If you help him coding, maybe? :lol:

It looks, the "game" mainly exists currently only as Alpha, Graphics may be complete but things like AI coding takes an incredible huge ammount of time and skill I think this will be the biggest problem onto this project, remember, even the Advance Wars Series - made by absolute pros (Big N) had a poor AI so if this game is available and good playable, it could take months.
I really would help because I'm playing AW like mad and I know what this type of Game needs but the big problem is: I can't code. :D I know some things about Coding and I have Talent for Game Editors but there is no "AI Editor" sadly. ^_^

I would defintely be more of a hindrance than a help! :lol:

Geuben said:
mju said:
Not a chance!

Unfortunatly I haven't made any progress on the game, I'm not even sure why either. I didn't manage to get a job this summer so have had loads of free time, but I just haven't done any work on it. I think it may be because while at uni I spend a lot of time in my little room in front of my pc and do more work on it. Whereas at home I've got the whole house to myself and so don't spend much time in front of my pc, that said I haven't exactly done anything else, just watched TV and gone to the pub.

So...dont expect a release anytime soon, I'll try and continue working on the game and if I can get in the mood I could potentially get a lot of work done before going back to uni, if not then progress will prob pick up again when I'm back at uni and have work to be doing :p

Geuben

I was just been impatient, enjoy your holiday :)

Geuben said:
Not a chance!

Geuben
If I could help, I would. Maybe you can win another Coding Guru from our Board here for this Project? I'm sure there are some guys interested in such a Game. Even the available Pix looking very promising. :)

Hey guys, I have a small update for you :)

UPDATE

Well, a couple of weeks ago I realised that the action menus (that come up when you move) weren't working properly, I quickly found the reason they werent working but spent ages trying to figure out a new solution to the problem with no avail. This really frustrated me and is probably one of the biggest reasons why progress had slowed so much these past few weeks. I tried asking my brother (he codes for a living) and made a post over at booleansoup.com for help but none came, I think ill put that down to me finding it extremely difficult to explain what I needed the code to do. Anyway! I just solved it! YEAH! so now the menus work as they should and in the process i reduced 50+ lines of menu code down to about 5....makes me feel a little embarrased now how lame the old code was.

So thats the update, sorry I dont have anything to actually show. I'll prob continue to do some work on it tonight so you might get another update later on, it depends on what I decide to tackle next and how far I get with it.

Geuben

P.S I just had a look at www.advancewars.com and saw the new days of ruin game, what can I say but WOW! that came looks mint! The graphical style and what I can make of the story line is pretty much exactly as I imagined I wanted my game to look like when I first started, I guess i should have got a move on and finished mine first, then I could have said they copied me :p

days of ruin indeed looks great, pretty "mature" style. But I also like the old, more colourful AW Style. It was clean and Simple. Your choosen Graphic Style matches perfectly for this game. :)

Hm, I really want to know how "days of ruin" plays, I've never played a Advance Wars game onto the NDS. I hope they also spend some time into a better AI.

I just got my GP2x a week ago and have spent most of my time trying to fill it with all sorts of fun and random games, i had never picked up advanced wars or any of its family until i got tired of waiting for the 2x to come in the mail so i loaded up the GBA version and got it running on my pc to give it a spin. i think im hooked. i'm really looking forward to your version, something made just for the 2x would be a lot more playable, and i love what i see so far and cannot wait :D

I'm glad to see my project has caught the interest of another, the more the merrier! although the more people, the more pressure on me to make it good :p.

To keep you all updated;

Ive been working on redesigning the top bar that displays the score, day, time etc. Its much better now. I've tweaked a few other things too, nothing big though and nothing I can really show you.

Also I started playing around with some ideas for menu screens and the like, I think I've settled on what I want the main menu to look like and have gone about implementing that, but im still undecided on the rest of the screens, such as:

Skirmish: Character select, Skirmish Options, Map select etc.
General Options page
Map editor menus
Story mode menus.

Im at a wall with the story mode, I just cant seem to come up with any good ideas for Armies, COs and a general story to create missions around.

Im also at the stage where I need to start drawing some more sprites, and animating the current ones, for movement etc. But I suck at that and don't find it particularly interesting...*nudge nudge wink wink - Pixitu if ur still interested :p *

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I think ive settled on a name, someone suggested it - Open Warfare. I like that one best, although there was a worms game called that, what do you guys think. I had a few ideas for a game logo too but none that I really liked, if any of you guys feel like having a go a making one then feel free :)

Geuben

Maybe the story mode could be made after the core game is ready? For the beginning I would be glad with a few "vs." maps against a AI, some good balanced Units and a nice editor. :)

Later, a complex Story mode could be added, maybe some other people have talent and free time to develop this part?

I also would be glad to see some kind of replay function into the Game, so we could share our replays and see, how other Users play the game and use different tactics. ^_^

Back