Musician tools for gp32

timthepig

Is it possible to input sound onto a gp32, for example track recording - on a gp32...

If only there was a Digital/analogue input - with sound recording capabilities - that would open up a new realm. But then again - the gp32 is a games console but having mp3 support - the possibilities could of been there not unless there is a USB lead with sound inputs...then obviously the programming\drivers would need to be implemented.

Surely a electronica junkie could have such an application like ejay to create their mp3s. Personally I'd love to plug my guitar in and record

Any thoughts - (I know this another far-fetched idea but hey!)

Just another idea I was pondering.

This isn't really applicable because it's no good for direct recordings like you've said, but probably the most effective way to make music on the GP32 at the moment is just to make MODs on your PC using Modplug Tracker or something like that. Just be careful to save your tunes in MOD format, not IT, and to set the number of channels correctly. In all honesty, a small microphone would be/would have been a great feature for a GP32 - sort of like a portable dictation device - but for music recording, the GP32 doesn't really have the raw power nessecary to do anything but the most basic recordings.

It may be a far fetched idea, but all the same, I think at least some parts of your idea are realistic. Besides, no 8-bit tune was prerecorded. Okay, well I can think of ONE, but that's it. Point being, it's always possible to make music without an instrument or samples...a lost art, unfortunately, except for those who can afford Roland kits worth many thousands of dollars...

The real problem with using the GP32 as a recorder is not so much the CPU power but the transfer rate of data to the SMC. 1-4 tracks of mp3 would be about the limit (I'm guessing here)

The area that GP32 could work in though would be as a virtual synth. It is not too far-fetched to imagine the GP32 linked to a midi system via the USB port with the headphone out being used to send the signal to your mixing desk.

Oh, and as this is a music thread, a shameless link to my music seems appropriate ;)

wubfur.com

That is true...I think MIDI input is quite possible. If someone really wanted to they could even make their own cable to do so, but the mini-usb plug might be a problem. I mean, it's fairly standard, but I have no idea how the wiring works! Maybe the ext port might be a more viable option?

That is one thing I was going to mention in my post but forgot to, though. Why isn't there a MIDI player for GP32 yet? :)

That is a very good question. Gamepark made it seem as though the GP32 had a proper built-in general midi sound set. From reading the SDK manual however it seems that this is not the case. :(

If anyone knows the whole story on this could they share it?

Interestingly, MIDI is already implemented sort of - if you remember ScummVM, and used it with games you'd b=played bfore in DOS, you'll remember that if you ran, say, Monkey Island with the /? command line, it'd come up with a list of options like "/a - Adlib midi sound, /r - roland general midi", which kinda suggests the Scumm games already use MIDI. So it might simply be a matter of perfecting their music code, then ripping it out. Dunno when that'll happen though.

Back